Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
Two major questions: 1) Which schools do I have a shot at, and within that pool, which is the best for me? 2) Should I apply this year (for 2014 matriculation) or wait one additional year?
My background: - GPA: 3.4 from top 3 Canadian school in Finance and Economics - 2011 graduate - GMAT: 750 (Q50, V41, AWA 6) - first attempt, wrote in 2011 - Working at a management consulting firm since Sept. 2011 in their Toronto office; well known but not MBB (tier 1.5? tier 2? not sure what defines that with MC firms) - Promoted once (faster than normal track, but not fastest possible); on track to be promoted again this time next year (normal track) - Was very involved in EC's during college (student government president, various other stuff), but have almost none now that I've started working (just some minor alumni contribution stuff) - Have no history of community involvement/ charity etc. - Male, ethnically Asian, Canadian citizen
My goals: - US Schools only; not keen on Europe - Not keen on returning to MC post MBA, but am keeping that open as an option - Entrepreneurship, VC etc. - want to be involved in the start-up world - Industry wise, interested in healthcare/ public health; not a must-have
So based on this:
- Am I competitive for top 10 US schools? In particular, Stanford GSB and Berkeley Haas? I love the Bay area and want to be involved in the start-up world - I feel like I have decent numbers but might be a little too generic of a Candidate... - How much does my lack of EC's post-graduation hurt me? I'm still somewhat involved in my school's alumni community and have been recognized by the program, but my contribution is nothing I could write an effective essay on. My girlfriend (whom is also applying for b-school) keeps telling me that I need community involvement. How true is this? - Based on my goals, if I got into Haas and another, more highly ranked program like MIT or Kellogg, which should I attend? - Should I apply now or wait an extra year? In this year, I could shoot for another promotion and perhaps get involved in more EC's... good idea? yes? no? Given the choice, I'd rather go back sooner than later
Last edited by far257 on 03 May 2013, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
Kudos ... your profile looks quite good and quite competitive.
1. Top 10 may be tough, given your GPA. However, you have a 50%+ shot at it. 2. My advise would be to wait for one more year and get that promotion. 3. I would refrain from commenting on Haas vs MIT vs Kellogg. Once you get into them, that is a nice problem to have:)