GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GPA: 3.7
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 22:56
Profile Evaluation

Hi, I am a 24 year old Mexican male, currently applying to three deferred admittance MBA Programs (HBS MBA 2+2, GSB and IESE YTP)

Here are my details:

GMAT- Aiming at 690-720 according to several practice tests.

Education:
Undergraduate- Tecnologico de Monterrey. Mechanical Engineering, International Honors Program. 90/100. 50% Academic Talent Scholarship
Graduate (Dual-Degree Program)- Southern Methodist University. M. Sc. Engineering Management. GPA: 3.5
Academic exchange in Germany as part of the DAAD Program (obtained a scholarship by the German government)

Work Experience:
10 Months as a Strategic Planning Intern at a 3.5BUSD Automotive and Agroindustrial Consortium in Monterrey, Mexico
9 Months as a Project Management Intern at a Automotive R&D, Renewable Energy and Technologies Group in Munich, Germany
4 Months as a Telecommunications Intern at a Telecommunications Company in Monterrey, Mexico
5 Months as a Quality Intern at an IT Startup in Monterrey, Mexico
3 Months as a Quality Intern at a GE Subsidiary in Monterrey, Mexico

Extracurriculars:
1st National Place High School Entrepreneurship Competition
Top 5 University Entrepreneurship Competition
Vice-President Mechanical Engineering Student Council
Guitar player for more than 10 years
Four languages: English (109/120), Spanish (Native), German (C1), French (B1)

Community Service:
1.5 years teaching values and virtues to underpriviledged children in Mexico
6 months teaching MS Office to underpriviledged children and adults

Questions:
I would like to know my chance of getting into the afore mentioned programs
1- How relevant would my GMAT score be? If I obtain 690 will it hurt my chances by a lot?
2- My essay topic is about resilience and the challenges I've had to overcome to obtain the experiences I have, is it an interesting topic?
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 08:52
Hi Adlozanos,

Thank you for your post. A few questions: Are you currently finishing your master's at SMU? What is the "dual degree"? (I only see M.Sc. in Engineering Management.) How do you have 31 months of work experience? (Are those part-time and internship experiences?) Remember that these programs generally require you to be a senior in an undergraduate program or in the last year of a master's degree that you went to directly from undergrad.

These are extremely competitive programs; a 690 for HBS or Stanford will make things even more difficult. If you think you're in the 690-720 range, you should really try to end up on the high end of that range (or beyond). Their averages are 730+. A 690/700 is more in range for IESE.

As for the essay, it's unfortunately very difficult to assess whether your essay idea is good based on a ten-word explanation. I've seen applicants draft essays around that topic that work well, and I've seen applicants draft essays around that topic come across very poorly. You want to be authentic, personal, and specific. If you're going to discuss those obstacles, try to anchor the story with a couple of specific stories that convey those obstacles. Build around those. Be very thoughtful and specific about what you learned, and how that extends beyond just "you." But again, it's very difficult to assess from a brief explanation whether that's a "good topic."

And remember to answer the essay questions that are being asked. Even if that's your general approach, you will have to tailor it to ensure you're answering each program's specific essay question(s).

Thanks,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GPA: 3.7
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 09:22
Hello Greg,

Thank you for your reply. My master's at SMU is part of the Dual-Degree program between Tecnologico de Monterrey (Undergrad) and SMU (Grad). I finish my masters in May and I went directly into it from undergrad. My work experience includes part-time and internship experiences. For instance, only the most recent 10 months experience and the 5 months as quality intern have been part-time.

Thanks for the input on the GMAT range, I will definitely aim for a 730+.

As for the essay, thank you as well for the input. I am working up my drafts and trying to share specific stories. Do you offer essay consultations?

Thanks again for your help!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2018, 09:22

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep