GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2020, 22:56
Hi,
I am an undergrad in my senior year and I plan on applying to the deferred MBA programs at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago Booth and Columbia in 2021.
Could you please review my profile and help me judge my chances.

Nationality : Indian

Undergraduate Study: University of Mumbai, Bachelor of Commerce(Top 20 in India)

GPA : 8.5/10 (With 3 semesters to go, I expect to get around an 8.8)

GMAT: I've scored 750 on my last 2 mocks and am very good at quant and I've consistently been working towards improving my verbal.

High School Grades : 94% (XII), 97.33% (X)

Other Qualifications : I am pursuing Chartered Accountancy and have cleared CA Intermediate.
I am going to appear for CFA Level 1 in February 2021.

Work Experience:
Trainee with a Big 4 firm in the Audit and Assurance Service Line working with Listed Financial Services Companies. I will be attached with them for the following 2 to 3 years.

Community Service:
Member of a volunteer team at one of India's most prominent NGOs. The team organized a crowdfunding campaign for providing rations to underprivileged children.

I was a student teacher at a local non profit for 4 months.

Leadership:
I am the Founding Treasurer of an Intercollegiate Festival that saw a footfall of more than a 1000 students last year.

I have actively participated in multiple clubs and inter college competitions.

I was the President of my school's student council.

Other Points and Miscellaneous Achievements:
I secured the 46th All India Rank in the CA Foundation Examinations that was given by over 50000 students.

I consulted a boutique hotel on their financials and helped them optimize their cost structure and set up a better framework for accounting and regulatory compliance.

I am a good writer and I am confident in my ability to advocate my story (I faced certain mental health issues in the recent past for about a year) and my believes about the conduct of businesses and my vision of driving change.

It would be great if y'all could give me some guidance as to what areas of my applications I need to strengthen to improve my chances.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2020, 00:51
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :)
varun1203 wrote:
Hi,
I am an undergrad in my senior year and I plan on applying to the deferred MBA programs at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago Booth and Columbia in 2021.

Undergraduate Study: University of Mumbai, Bachelor of Commerce(Top 20 in India)

GMAT: I've scored 750 on my last 2 mocks and am very good at quant and I've consistently been working towards improving my verbal.

Other Qualifications : I am pursuing Chartered Accountancy and have cleared CA Intermediate.

Work Experience:
Trainee with a Big 4 firm in the Audit and Assurance Service Line working with Listed Financial Services Companies. I will be attached with them for the following 2 to 3 years.

Community Service:
Member of a volunteer team at one of India's most prominent NGOs. The team organized a crowdfunding campaign for providing rations to underprivileged children.

Leadership:
I am the Founding Treasurer of an Intercollegiate Festival that saw a footfall of more than a 1000 students last year.

I secured the 46th All India Rank in the CA Foundation Examinations that was given by over 50000 students.

I consulted a boutique hotel on their financials and helped them optimize their cost structure and set up a better framework for accounting and regulatory compliance.

I am a good writer and I am confident in my ability to advocate my story (I faced certain mental health issues in the recent past for about a year) and my believes about the conduct of businesses and my vision of driving change.

It would be great if y'all could give me some guidance as to what areas of my applications I need to strengthen to improve my chances.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2020, 18:44
Hi varun1203! This is Kate from mbaMission. I think you have the makings of a very strong profile for deferred programs. Mostly I would keep up the good work. Keep your GPA as high as you can, as most successful applicants to these top programs I have seen from India have high 8 or even 9 point GPAs and a 750+ on the GMAT. Your CA and CFA qualifications will help too on that front. It sounds like you've been quite involved on campus and have held several leadership roles. Keep that up too so you can show a track record of leadership and giving back.

I think one area to focus on is around your work experience and reasons for applying early. You'll want to present a specific and ambitious post-MBA career goal and explain why you're certain you'll need an MBA to get there. With your business studies and Big 4 role lined up, that strikes me as a fairly traditional pre-MBA path. However many of these deferred programs were designed to capture applicants from less typical, like STEM, backgrounds or from career fields that aren't as heavily represented in MBA programs already. So, be thinking about how you can differentiate your story and experiences from that typical path.

Lastly, these programs are super selective, often even more so than applying the traditional timing. So if things don't work out, you can always reapply after a few years of work experience and schools won't hold that against you.

Hope that helps, and kudos for planning ahead!
Kate

varun1203 wrote:
Hi,

Work Experience:

Community Service:

Leadership:

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2020, 20:45
Thank you Kate, this really helps. I'm gonna focus on the essays and LoRs and hopefully add some range to my work experience.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2020, 03:49
Sounds great!
Take care,
Kate

varun1203 wrote:
Thank you Kate, this really helps. I'm gonna focus on the essays and LoRs and hopefully add some range to my work experience.

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2020, 22:45
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)- top 30%

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)
Common Admission Test 2015 (GMAT equivalent for Indian bschools, 200,000 test takers in a year) - 98.5 percentile

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -

Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting in CPG/manufacturing and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background?
Which schools shall I target - Stretch, Realistic, Safety? (open to european schools, and only stem in usa)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 04:35
doublewhammy wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)- top 30%

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)
Common Admission Test 2015 (GMAT equivalent for Indian bschools, 200,000 test takers in a year) - 98.5 percentile

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -

Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting in CPG/manufacturing and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background?
Which schools shall I target - Stretch, Realistic, Safety? (open to european schools, and only stem in usa)

mbaMissionKate could you weigh in on my profile?

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate