It is currently 25 Jul 2017, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2010, 16:58
Hello,
If you could evaluate my profile it would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

25, US Citizen, Male
GMAT - 690 taken in 2007.
Analytical Writing 6

Academics:
Undergrad GPA 3.2 from UCLA
Major: Economics
Minor: Classical Civilizations

Professional Experience:
Have been working for UCLA for almost 3 years. First, spent 1 1/2 years working at Anderson in the Development office helping with fundraising for the school. Currently working for the School of Arts and Architecture as a Development and Communications Associate.

Extra-Curriculars:
-Member of the gymnastics team, cheerleading squad, and a non-profit student organization during school
-As a post-grad involved in two non-profits, one for the LGBT community and one combining art and activism to promote global health. Also a volunteer coach for the UCLA cheerleading squad.

Short/long Term Schools:
I would like to move into the retail and luxury goods field and hopefully working as a buyer for a clothing company or apparel division of a larger company.

I'm interested in the following full-time programs:
-Stanford
-Columbia (applying early decision)
-NYU Stern
-UCLA Anderson
-USC Marshall

Applying for Fall 2011 and hoping to apply Round 1 (or early decision for Columbia) for all schools. I look at Stanford as a long shot but my father is an alum.
I'm also considering re-taking the GMAT at the end of august. I took the test almost 3 years ago and a 690 seemed fine and was within 20 points of my practice tests. Is it worth it to retake it/will it significantly help my chances?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 20:29
Hi bruinboi,

I'd say that you're on the knife's edge right now in terms of having a good shot at a top-ten school. A 690 is okay IF you had good balance on the GMAT (i.e., you didn't do worse than the ~80th percentile on each half; that's just my own rule of thumb) and you have some really interesting things to talk about in your job. While a 3.2 is by no means a catastrophe for a GPA for a normal person, for a top-ten business school it's actually considered pretty low. So, getting that GMAT score up a bit could certainly help, even if your balance is good.

Any reason for the low-ish GPA? Did you start strongly but end weakly? Vice versa? Did you do well in your more quant-oriented classes? If not, then perhaps taking a course or two right now (heck, you're at UCLA!) in some quant-type classes, and getting As in them, might help.

Of your list, Marshall is your best bet. For the rest, it will really depend on how strong your work experience is. I see a lot of bad advice on these board where "experts" say "Looks good. You can get in," without knowing anything about your job beyond 10 words, but the *meat* of what you've been doing on the job these past several years -- leadership roles, overcoming challenges, winning over skeptics, etc. -- is what will ultimately decide your fate.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 22:01
Thanks for the evaluation! For my GMAT, both scores are in at least the 80th percentile. My gpa is low as I was on the gymnastics team and had practice and travel a lot. But I've been taking classes at ucla extension and gotten A's in them all. Does that help?

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 19:16
That's good about the extension class... That certainly helps (exactly how much it helps depends on how rigorous the classes were, of course).

I'd say Stanford, Columbia, and Stern will be tough, but I wouldn't necessarily say "Don't apply." Just be aware that you're talking about single-digit and low-double-digit acceptance rates at those schools, so it's just long odds for everyone. Your chances at UCLA and USC are decent; you should definitely apply to those if you're truly interested in Anderson and Marshall. (We helped at least one applicant get a full ride to Marshall this past year.)

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 11:19
Hi,

It will be really great if you can evaluate my profile.

GMAT : 710 (Q-49, V-37)
Undergrad : One of the top Indian Private University, GPA : 3.5

Work Experience : 2 years till date in Siemens
Mentoring and training 2 people on the technology.
Implement tasks in sync with Germany and US teams while ensuring proper expectation alignment.
Attended company meetings and road map planning of the product in United States. (10 Days)

Volunteering:
1. Led a city chapter of a nationwide NGO which aimed at uplifting the weaker sections of society as a whole for 1 year. Part of this organization as an executive member for 4 years.
2. Currently an executive Member of an international NGO that conducts food drives for needy people and aims at eliminating Hunger.

Extra Curricular Activities
1. Executive member of various organizing committees at college.
2. Finance Head of Societies in College.
3. Part of College Dance Group.
4. Head Boy of Junior School.
5. District level chess player.

Can you please help me in identifying which will be the safe and reach schools based on my profile?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 20:09
What are your career goals? On paper you probably can land somewhere in the top 15-20, of course depending on the quality of your application you can scale up or scale down, but that is probably a safe guess given the information provided

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 09:26
Hi,

My Career goal is to switch to business side of the company in my current domain so that my job will include both business as well as technical aspects of my work. Kindly suggest me Schools where I can have a good chance.

Thanks
Karan
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 17:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I would take a look at Ross, UNC, Duke, and UVA as schools that can offer you a good gen mgmt MBA with your profile

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 20:38
Thanks a lot Veritas