GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: INSEAD Jan '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 06:26
ARLeeConsulting I'd also love to hear your insights! :)
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 14:11
Hi tsuxinhah,

thank you very much for asking for my opinion as well.

Overall, you have a strong profile with good elements to meet INSEAD's admissions criteria.

Please, note that Brazilian is usually among the largest national groups at INSEAD (alongside Indian, American, Chinese, Canadian, ...), which means that competition will be fierce.

Keeping this in mind, let me assess your profile using INSEAD's 4 admissions criteria as framework.

(1) Leadership Potential. You seem to clearly meet this criteria as you currently hold a leadership role. However, could you please clarify a couple of things in regards to your career progression? Would it be fair to say that those were early promotions, or that you have been put in some sort of fast track? Have you progressed much faster compared to your peers? I am very interested in taking a look at your resume to assess this further.

(2) International Motivation. Your background (and goals) is definitely international. However, a very good number of Brazilians applying to INSEAD have extensive international experience, sometimes including not only several countries in LatAm but also US and Europe. Furthermore, given the multiculturality of Brazil, it is also quite common to find Brazilian applicants with Asian or European heritages, and therefore they're not only fluent in Portuguese, Spanish and English, but also in an Asian language (e.g. Japanese, Mandarin, ...) or another European language (e.g. Italian, French, ...). So, in the application, stress those aspects that can help you show the uniqueness of your international profile.

(3) Academic Capacity. Your 680 GMAT score is not a deal breaker, however, if you feel confident you can score at least 710, I would recommend you to go ahead and retake GMAT. Focus not only on bringing your Quant score above the 75% recommended by INSEAD, but also on increasing your IR to at least 6. Regarding your GPA (although most likely it is not called GPA at your school), I completely understand what you mean. I wouldn't recommend you converting your score to a 4.0 scale. INSEAD is well aware of how the different education systems across the globe grade their students, so just keep your 7/10 as is.

(4) Ability to Contribute. This is the ability to contribute to your study group, your class, the school. Given that you are living a very active and interesting life (not only at work but also outside), I have no doubt that you will have no issues meeting this criteria.

Regarding your career goals, I am sure you're aware that changing geographies cannot be the main driver for pursuing an MBA. So please take some time to think about what you want to accomplish in your professional career and how an MBA can help you get there. I guess this goes without saying but your goals must be concrete, so in your application, please avoid talking about different options.

If you are able to distinguish yourself from the other applicants in your pool, and you are able to articulate clearly your career goals and need for an MBA, I have no doubt your application will be of much interest for INSEAD.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your application.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 02:16
Hello experts
Hope expert can help to review my profile. Thanks in advance.

Nationality: Chinese
Sex: female
Languages: Mandarin (Native), English (Fluent), German (Beginner)
Education: Bachelors in Industrial Engineering, Master in Mechanical design & Automation. TOP4 university in China.
GMAT : 690 (Q49, V34, IR5)
TOEFL: 111

Working experience:
1 year @ IKEA China as management trainee.
7 years @ Bosch China as project manager. (was placed on leadership program. )
1.5 years + @ Bosch Germany as project manager. (this is my current job and I reside in Germany. Was provided this chance since I've done a good job in China)

International exposure:
In past 6 years, leading big global projects involving many Nations: China, Germany, India, Mexico, France, US, Hungary, Romania. Prior to that, I always worked with Europeans.
Personally travelled to many countries.
Married to a French (Not sure if this counts?...)

Extra- Curricular:
I like cooking and organizing team events. Not sure if this counts?...

Post-MBA goals:
Continue in corporation or high-tech.
Target to live in Germany(preferred) or France.
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 04:15
Hi ElsieHuang55,

thank you very much for sharing your profile.

As ususal, let me assess it using INSEAD's 4 admissions criteria.

(1) Leadership Potential. Overall, I like your career progression, especially the fact that your performance led to being transferred to Bosch Germany (I assume in its HQ?). 7 years as Project Manager is still a long time though, so it would be great to have more detail as to what happened during those 7 years.

(2) International Motivation. You're currently working in Germany, you have worked in international projects and your goals are international. You should leverage all this to stand out from the rest of Chinese applying to INSEAD with several years of experience working and/or studying outside of China. And yeah, you can use the fact that you're married to a French to play in your favor.

(3) Academic Capacity. This is prob the weakest point of your profile. You'll have to compete with many Chinese with +730 GMAT scores. This being said, your current 690 alone won't disqualify you, but it means that the need to submit an oustanding application is even more important. What is the possibility of a retake though?

(4) Ability to Contribute. Here, we will need more detail in order to properly assess this. Sure, cooking and organizing team events count, but it won't suffice. In your application, you need to show that you're living an interesting life even outside of work, and that you'll be willing to share your experiences with your classmates. Also, have you done any community service? Perhaps back in China?

Another aspect that might get in your way is your age. I'm not sure which intake you're targeting, but if you are currently 34, you'll prob be 35-36 at the beginning of the program. This is not a complete deal-breaker, but this means that INSEAD will expect more from you in terms of career progression, achievements and leadership. Therefore, make sure your application reflects you as mature leader. Also, a higher GMAT score would also help mitigating the age factor.

Overall, you have good elements to be a strong candidate for INSEAD, but you will def benefit from a higher GMAT score and you will need to work around the age thing and the lack of extra-curriculars.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Warm regards
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: INSEAD Jan '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 06:31
Hi ARLeeConsulting,

Thank you very much for your feedback!! Here go a few comments:

1) Leadership Potential. I think my promotions to analyst and senior analyst were in line with regular track in the company and peers. Where I work, you usually get promoted to senior after 2 years (if you have been doing a good job, of course). I think the real break-through was my promotion to manager. Firstly, in my account, promotions are usually need-based, meaning, to replace a manager who resigned. I was promoted entirely by merit, the idea was to help my manager with the supervision of our 14-member team, but he resigned and I ended up by myself. It's the largest team in the account. Secondly, I was promoted to manager before many other people that had leadership responsibilities as a senior. I believe I am the youngest manager in the Argentina firm (definitely in my account). If you stay long enough, eventually you will get a promotion to senior analyst, but it doesn't work the same way with managers. I also had to answer awkward questions from peers, such as "why did they promote you instead of John Doe who is here longer" or "who has more experience than you".... quite an accomplishment I'd say :) I'll see if I can send you my resume via PM.

2) I see what you mean. However I do believe I can stand out from that pool of Brazilians. Since I have lived half of my life in Argentina (more than half by when the program starts and also the more meaningful half.. I really don't remember anything from before I was 2!), I truly identify myself as an Argentine. I think I can contribute more of Argentine culture than I can of Brazilian culture. Also, since I have been here by myself, I haven't relied on "my own culture" being present at home. Also before facetime and smartphones I would spend several weeks without talking to my family and without saying one word of Portuguese (and that made my Spanish and English way better than my Portuguese :lol: I believe to have a trully immersive international experience, where I experienced so much of the foreign culture that I adopted it as my own. Do you think that could be enough? Of course I can stress the multiculturalism in the company and my many business trips to NY (I see several profiles here who have visited many countries for work, but work travelling isn't as common in my age in Argentina. In the firm, I actually hold the record of "more business trips to the same place". It's unfortunate I wasn't sent to other places such as Chennai :(

Eager to receive your feedback!

cheers!
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 08:46
ARLeeConsulting
Hi, Thanks a lot for your kind feedback.
I fully agree with your comment on my weakness. I've also analysed the same. That's why I need more hints from others to help me to "round of" the weakness a bit.
1. Age
I can't change my age, and I also have to accept the slow progression in my career by considering the fact that the German automotive company is slow paced, men-dominated world.
In my business area, as a female who had the chance to lead the biggest global project involving engineers from 6 countries to develop new products , I think I outweigh my peers in the same function as project manager. Out of my experience, I can share how to gain leadership without "power", since a project manager is not placed as "authorized manager". I can also share the experience of being a female leader in a man-dominated organization.
2. GMAT
Since I had no time to retake GMAT to catch up deadline in R3, I think I will just take it as it is...
3. extra-curriculars
I hadn't participated any community service even back in China.
What I can think about is that each time when I changed a city (during past years, I've changed location in 3 different cities in China and now in Germany), I find chance to meet new friends outside of work. maybe through wine tasting or some events I found online, or maybe through German learning.
I had performed in the annual party of the company, I organize party for the visitors from other Bosch locations, I cook for friends at home, I enjoyed also private life with my husband to go to the nature or travel...
Maybe all sound not interesting, but then I need some ideas to make them sounds nicer. :)
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 11:23
Hi tsuxinhah,

thank you very much for your comments.

(1) In your application, do not forget to mention you have been promoted to Manager ahead of time on a pure merit basis, and also the fact that you are one of the youngest Managers in the company.

(2) As I mentioned, leverage those aspects that make your international profile "unique". Moving to a foreign (although not completely unknown) country at an early age all by yourself is something def worth leveraging. You can also mention your multiple biz trips to NY and stress the multiculturality of your firm.

And yeah, it would be great if you could PM me or email me your resume.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

HR Executive Director

ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 11:52
Hi ElsieHuang55,

thank you very much for your comments. Let me give you some further feedback.

(1) Age. I think you can defend the "Why an MBA Now" with the elements you mentioned. But you need to be careful. Focus on the positives of working for a slow-paced male-dominated company/industry, and how this has helped you become the accomplished female leader you are now.

(2) GMAT. Yeah, if you are targeting R3, a retake could be challenging. May I ask why you're targeting R3 for Sep 2019 intake? Is the Jan 2020 an option for you? The Jan 2020 intake would have the advantage of giving you a bit more time to retake GMAT, and would allow you to apply in an earlier round (R1 - Feb 20th, or even R2 - April 17th). Given that the Chinese applicant pool is extremely competitive, applying in an early round is always recommended.

(3) Extra-curriculars.

Everything you have mentioned does sound interesting. It is just a matter of how you frame your extra-curriculars/interests. Also, do you have any personal interest that you consider somewhat "unique"? It could be something you do on your own, i.e. does not involve others. For example, painting, writing, investing in stock markets, collecting stamps, etc... Anything counts.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 14:34
Hello,

Please help me in evaluation of my profile against the odds of it getting selected for INSEAD- Sept'19(R3) or Jan 2020(R1-R2) admissions
Nationality: Indian
Sex: Male
Languages: Hindi (Native), English (Fluent), German (Beginner)
Education: Bachelors in Engineering - Civil Engineering (Major) ( Bachelors completed in May 2015 )
GPA: 8.05/10 (Indian Version), 4/4(US 4 Point Scale)
GMAT : 730 (Q-49, V-42, IR-5, AWA-5)

Working experience:
Associated with Amazon.in for last 3.5 years as an Area Manager, a role in which i handle Warehouse/Fulfillment Operations. Recently promoted to Manager Level 2.

International exposure:
None as of now.

Extra- Curricular:
I like to watch and analyse football - Primarily Spanish.
I read a lot about India Trade/Share Markets and about worthy investments.
Worked for social organization for about 1.5 years ( which helps poor and underprivileged) during my undergrad course.

Post-MBA goals:
Continue working in France.
Job in an Consultant/ Program Management Role.

Let me know if you need more info from me.
Also please suggest if this profile has prospects of it getting selected in any of the following colleges:
1. HEC, Paris.
2. MIT Sloan
3. Tepper
4. NYU Stern
5. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 01:24
Hello honey23022

You have some things going for you, but also need to work on others. Let me elaborate-
1. Past acads, GMAT works- not stellar, but checks the box
2. Brand on the CV, career progression can help, but focus more on achievements at work
3. With your age/work ex slightly lower than that at INSEAD/HEC you will need to showcase achievements that help you stand out from the rest of the competition (who may have an edge due to a slightly higher work ex)
4. Languages definitely help
5. Will need to show international motivation for the likes of INSEAD, even if you have no international exposure
6. Not sure how your specific career goals tie in with France as a geography (do your research on this)
7. More than a laundry list, highlight impact and contribution in extracurricular activities
Based on the limited information, may have a decent shot at HEC.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

honey23022 wrote:
Hello,

Please help me in evaluation of my profile against the odds of it getting selected for INSEAD- Sept'19(R3) or Jan 2020(R1-R2) admissions
Sex: Male
Languages: Hindi (Native), English (Fluent), German (Beginner)
Education: Bachelors in Engineering - Civil Engineering (Major) ( Bachelors completed in May 2015 )
GPA: 8.05/10 (Indian Version), 4/4(US 4 Point Scale)
GMAT : 730 (Q-49, V-42, IR-5, AWA-5)

Working experience:
Associated with Amazon.in for last 3.5 years as an Area Manager, a role in which i handle Warehouse/Fulfillment Operations. Recently promoted to Manager Level 2.

International exposure:
None as of now.

Extra- Curricular:
I like to watch and analyse football - Primarily Spanish.
I read a lot about India Trade/Share Markets and about worthy investments.
Worked for social organization for about 1.5 years ( which helps poor and underprivileged) during my undergrad course.

Post-MBA goals:
Continue working in France.
Job in an Consultant/ Program Management Role.

Let me know if you need more info from me.
Also please suggest if this profile has prospects of it getting selected in any of the following colleges:
1. HEC, Paris.
2. MIT Sloan
3. Tepper
4. NYU Stern
5. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 13:08
Background and nationality: USA, White Male,
Undergrad Information: State University Top 100, Finance & Entrepreneurship Double Major. Entrepreneurship program ranked Top 10 and I received distinguished awards and grant money to pursue a venture from the program. GPA is 3.45
GMAT: 730 | Q 48
Work experience and leadership: 5 years of work experience; Had a startup for a year that had a modest exit. Then I worked for two startups in B2B Software Sales. One was headquartered in Tel Aviv so I have that international experience plus I'm fluent in Hebrew. For the last year, I have been working in Channel Sales for a Fortune 500 tech company where I train and present to our channel partners.
Community and others: I lead corporate volunteer efforts for my company's regional office
Post MBA goals: Big 3 Consulting
Anything else?

Thanks so much for the review! Happy to provide more background if it will help.
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 05:27
Hi jonrave,

thank you very much for sharing your profile.

Overall, I feel positive about your candicacy for INSEAD.

I like the mix of entrepreneurship, startup and Fortune 500 in your experience. However, I would need a bit more detail on your career path in order to properly assess your career progression. It would be great if you could share your resume via PM or email.

How long where you in Tel Aviv? Is this your only international experience? Have you been on international biz trips, even if only for a few days? Where have you traveled (even if for leisure)?

What is your target geography post-MBA?

Do you speak any other language besides English and Hebrew?

Can you tell us a bit more about your extra-curriculars? What do you do for fun?

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 05:54
Here is my Profile:

X:84.4 % (CBSE)
XII: 80 % (CBSE)
B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from Uttar Pradesh Technical University (JSS)-78.18 %
M.Tech in Design Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi)-7.81/10 CGPA
No Gap in Stuides.

Current Profile:Senior Project Engineer in Shapoorji Pallonji Oil & Gas BU (AFCONS) for Offshore Oil & Gas EPC Projects as Project Engineer and Project Management Professional with over 4+ years of experience in role for Project Management, Operations and Execution of EPC projects. Synposis as mentioned below:

" Project Engineer and Project Management Professional with over 4+ years of experience in role for Project Management of EPC projects. Successfully completed EPC project of ONGC-HRD Process Platform (Green field, Process Platform), Mumbai High, India of USD 250 million and currently working on ONGC/EIL-LEWPP1 & LEWPP2 project (Revamp field, Complete Topside Revamp of 43 wellhead platforms) of combined USD 320 million. Performed responsibilities starting from EPC Project initiation and planning such as proposals, bid-engineering (support to estimation and bidding teams), pre-engineering survey, detail engineering coordination, technical assistance to procurement, modular yard fabrication to execution, commissioning life cycle of offshore oil and gas projects including engineering management, interface management, vendor engineering management and control, project activities monitoring and overall coordination with site teams for EPC Projects with major roles as “Sr. Project Engineer”, “Sr. Project Engineering coordinator”."

Extra Curricular/Achievement : Trekking of different places and alreday completed National Level Trekking program with YHAI for 10 days trekking with certificate holder, Marathon running completed with 5k, 10k kms. Alreaday in Process of obtaining PMP Project certification(International certificate for Project Management Professional). Received M.H.R.D. Scholarship (2012-2014) for academic performance for securing 99.96 percentile in GATE-2012. Winner of Volleyball Tournament at college level

Target GMAT score:740

Post MBA Goals: Startegy managment and Project managment professional in Finance for Infrastructure/Renewable Energy EPC Projects

Kindly let me know about my profile.

Also do let me know about the other colleges suitable for my profile and based on post mba goals.

Thanks in Advance.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 08 Dec 2018, 05:54

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   [ 493 posts ] 

INSEAD PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, Hideto

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap