Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi gmatsj,

Thanks for sharing your profile and I would be happy to evaluate the same for you.

INSEAD evaluates your potential based of the following criteria:
1. Ability to contribute
2. Leadership skills
3. International motivation
4. Academics

Make sure you think through good examples to showcase the above while working on your application.
Your profile looks good on the surface, however I can see that you have a little more than average work experience. This shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a strong reasoning behind going for an MBA at this stage. Don't worry about the onshore experience, International exposure can easily be taken care of with your experience where you helped international companies open their offices in India.

Eventually, it's going to be about how well you connect the dots with INSEAD's values and justify the timing for going for an MBA.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

gmatsj wrote:
Profile: 32, Indian Male.
Work Ex 9 years by the time I join INSEAD - Targeting for the Jan 2022 intake
INSEAD is the right fit for me because it is a one year program (I have high work ex), Provides me an entry into EU as that is now a high growth market in my industry

Education: BTECH - IIT BHU, GPA 8.2/10, Graduated in 2012

GMAT - 750 (Q50, V41)

Experience
- 9y in technology outsourcing research and advisory
- Currently leading internal strategy team of a small cap company
- No onshore experience, but I helped international companies open their offices in India (including some well known big names)

Post-MBA goals:
- Short-term: Consultancy with an outsourcing company such as Accenture, Capgemini, etc.
- Long-term: CXO level position in one of the top outsourcing companies
- Geography: Europe / US

Languages
- Fluent in English, Hindi

Extracurricular activities:
- Football (played since school, was part of college team, helped organize college sports fest)

Volunteer
- Actively participation in NGOs teaching underprivileged kids since college
- Past member of Rotary club

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting in INSEAD. My major concern revolves around the High work-experience + Age and lack of onshore experience.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

Profile:
26, Indian Female, Software Engineer, 3.5 years of work experience

GMAT: 710 (Q49, V38, IR4, AWA5)

Education: B.Tech + M.Tech (Dual Degree) in Electrical Engineering, 7.78/10 CGPA, IIT Kharagpur, Graduated in 2017

Experience:
1) 2017-2019: A Leadership Program member working with different teams as part of 6-month stints to deliver priority business outcomes.
2) 2019-Present: Sr. Software Engineer working on a customer-facing product in Renewable Energy domain

MBA goal: To learn more about running the world together in a global classroom fostering diversity.
Short term MBA motivation: Work in product management areas in industries making a difference with technology and innovation.
Long term MBA motivation: Creating a network that helps in empowering welfare initiatives globally.

International Exposure: As a part of the leadership program, been to Week-long training in the US and Europe. Worked on a 1-month long assignment in the UK. My day to day office work usually involves working with people globally, that has also been crucial in learning and adapting to an international perspective.

1) As Software Engineering culture ambassador at work, working on initiatives which could help increase the team's efficacy in delivering software products
2) Briefly worked with a health-based NGO as a blog editor, documenting and capturing their fieldwork, and sharing their stories with the world
3) As a minority tribe myself, working with a Cooperative society to support the upliftment activities of tribes in the state

Kindly share your thoughts on the likelihood of getting admitted to INSEAD, and share any areas which you feel can be worked upon.

Thank you!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ketchupcatchup,

Your profile looks great. A score of 710 is a good count! With this GMAT score and work experience, you have a good chance to make it to INSEAD.

Let me give you exposure to the aspects through which INSEAD will be evaluating your profile.

1.Ability to Contribute
2.Leadership Skills
3.International Motivation
4.Academics

Your academics look good. You have a dual degree and a strong CGPA which ticks point 4 from above. Highlight different aspects of this intellect in your apps.

Your leadership skills are noticeable as you were a member of the leadership program. Highlight various projects you have gone through this program and your learnings from this program. Working with different teams exhibits your quality to cope up with different personalities from different parts of the world. To make your mark on the adcoms, put the spotlight on achievements in your professional journey.

I can see you have a pretty good international exposure during the leadership program and you can express your learnings about how you work on the international level with people globally. I can already see “international motivation” in you and I’m confident you’ll have great stories to showcase this major aspect of INSEAD.

Your ECs are compelling and will uplift your profile. As INSEAD pays close attention to the work outside your professional life, it is worth mentioning in your essays. Spell out how you influenced the people through your actions and how your experience with them influenced you.

Your Post-MBA goals seem in alignment with your career and have a global outlook which is great. By the info you have provided on post-MBA goals, I can certainly know your thought process but am not able to connect the dots. Would like to know more :) I would suggest you do good inside-out research on INSEAD and its culture and values to help you highlight how you can contribute to its community and school.

Try to weave an impactful story in your application that will help you stand out in the mind of the file reader. If you’d like I am happy to hop on a call with you sometimes this week to discuss your profile in further detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Testimonials

ketchupcatchup wrote:
Hi,

Profile:

Education: B.Tech + M.Tech (Dual Degree) in Electrical Engineering, 7.78/10 CGPA, IIT Kharagpur, Graduated in 2017

Experience:
1) 2017-2019: A Leadership Program member working with different teams as part of 6-month stints to deliver priority business outcomes.
2) 2019-Present: Sr. Software Engineer working on a customer-facing product in Renewable Energy domain

MBA goal: To learn more about running the world together in a global classroom fostering diversity.
Short term MBA motivation: Work in product management areas in industries making a difference with technology and innovation.
Long term MBA motivation: Creating a network that helps in empowering welfare initiatives globally.

International Exposure: As a part of the leadership program, been to Week-long training in the US and Europe. Worked on a 1-month long assignment in the UK. My day to day office work usually involves working with people globally, that has also been crucial in learning and adapting to an international perspective.

1) As Software Engineering culture ambassador at work, working on initiatives which could help increase the team's efficacy in delivering software products
2) Briefly worked with a health-based NGO as a blog editor, documenting and capturing their fieldwork, and sharing their stories with the world
3) As a minority tribe myself, working with a Cooperative society to support the upliftment activities of tribes in the state

Kindly share your thoughts on the likelihood of getting admitted to INSEAD, and share any areas which you feel can be worked upon.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi ketchupcatchup (interesting username!)

Your dual degree looks solid and IIT-K pedigree adds strength. Work experience, esp in renewable energy sector looks interesting and would be a value-add if your goals are aligned with that.

The international experience seems on the lower side, but your daily work with global teams need to be highlighted in the essays, CV and LORs.

Extracurriculars - as you have described - seem weak. Like most top schools, INSEAD too, is looking for multi-dimensional individuals with drive and ability to make an impact. So you need to bring out good stories, reflections, and value from your ECs and life experiences.

Your 710 GMAT, though not bad, doesn't help you standout. I work with several Indian students and many in the applicant pool have stellar scores. For a top school, you too need to match up to that level :)

Your career goals - could use more thought and research. INSEAD doesn't give you much space to write long goals essay, so you need to be clear, focused, ambitious, realistic and visionary in a very limited space.

Here is what I would suggest:
1. Retake GMAT, if you can. Get 740+ to stand out.
2. Do more research on your aspired career path and get clarity and vision into your goals.
3. Write strong essays that highlight your unique attributes and contributions.
4. Get impactful LORs. INSEAD has a unique set of long LOR Questions and your recommenders really need to champion you :)

If you need personalized help with your application, feel free to reach me directly at mail@vibranture.com :)

I'm including the following articles for your help:

INSEAD Essay Tips
https://vibranture.com/essay/tips/insea ... g-tips.htm

How do business schools evaluate your profile
https://vibranture.com/articles/how-scho ... rofile.htm

Top 5 ways to build profile for MBA applications
https://vibranture.com/articles/build-pr ... ations.htm

Good luck!

- Shea Rai
CEO, Vibranture.com [Est. 2006]
Connect with me on LinkedIn

ketchupcatchup wrote:
Hi,

Profile:

Experience:

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi gmatsj

Before I comment on your profile, a little bit about me. :)
I am an MBA alumna from Ross Michigan and worked in corporate America for several years before choosing to be an entrepreneur. As an MBA Admissions Consultant from India, I have helped several Indian students get admitted to top MBA programs including INSEAD.

Ok, now let's look at your profile:

Academics - great! IIT, good GPA and GMAT - all superb and show that you are intelligence, industrious, and consistent. All good.

Work ex - Limited info here, so can't comment much.. it seems good - but with 9 years of work ex, the admissions team would be interested in knowing your impact, achievements, career progression, and especially your rational for your career choices - and how all you have done - relates to what you want to do over the next 10-30years of your professional life.

Don't worry too much about higher-than average work-ex (frankly you can't do anything about it!). So treat it like an asset and highlight your strengths expected from a mature applicant. Strengths such as leadership, maturity, emotional intelligence, clarity, achievement, impact and so on. Makes sense?

International experience - Well.. lack of on-shore experience is an area of concern and you will have to address it showing your global mindset through working with international teams and (if any) travels abroad. Last year I worked with an Indian applicant who also didn't have any on-site international experience, but she had worked with global teams and had taken leisure trips abroad. We highlighted those experiences strongly and she not only got admitted to both INSEAD and LBS, but got good scholarships from both schools. She just started at INSEAD in Jan'21 batch :)

Career Goals - though seem achievable, might not help you standout? Even if you want to be a consultant (the most common career path MBAs take), adcom needs to see your passion and vision in that - and that will help you stand apart from your competition.

Extracurriculars - seem okay. But it is not about what you do but more, why you do that and how does it enrich you, how does that make you a better and more accomplished person. INSEAD is all about - WHY.. they want to know who you are based on your choices, so if you can show that through reflective, introspective essays - you stand a good shot.

Hope this helped :)

If you are looking for guidance and help with your INSEAD application, I can be reached at mail@vibranture.com.

Testimonial from my recent admit:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/who-are-the- ... l#p2481221

Good luck!

- Shea Rai

gmatsj wrote:
Profile: 32, Indian Male.
Work Ex 9 years by the time I join INSEAD - Targeting for the Jan 2022 intake
INSEAD is the right fit for me because it is a one year program (I have high work ex), Provides me an entry into EU as that is now a high growth market in my industry

Education: BTECH - IIT BHU, GPA 8.2/10, Graduated in 2012

GMAT - 750 (Q50, V41)

Experience
- 9y in technology outsourcing research and advisory
- Currently leading internal strategy team of a small cap company
- No onshore experience, but I helped international companies open their offices in India (including some well known big names)

Post-MBA goals:
- Short-term: Consultancy with an outsourcing company such as Accenture, Capgemini, etc.
- Long-term: CXO level position in one of the top outsourcing companies
- Geography: Europe / US

Languages
- Fluent in English, Hindi

- Football (played since school, was part of college team, helped organize college sports fest)

Volunteer
- Actively participation in NGOs teaching underprivileged kids since college
- Past member of Rotary club

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting in INSEAD. My major concern revolves around the High work-experience + Age and lack of onshore experience.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Dishi, I would provide my opinion looking at your profile from various aspects.

Academics: Strong and impressive. Your biotechnology major would help you stand-out and possibly could also be an asset when looking for post-MBA roles with MBBs- if you are at all interested in the Life Sciences industry.

Work Ex: 2 promotions in 3.5 yrs is great! it is interesting (but needs explanation) why you chose to work in retail and financial industries after your biotech degree. If your narrative is strong, this could again work in your favor - for having a diversified profile.

Extracurriculars: I love it. They are impressive and valuable for your application. Being a swimmer and leading national level teams require traits that also could make you a strong MBA applicant - if you can connect the dots! :) NGO experience and fine arts also add more dimension to you candidature.

International experience: I don't see much evidence of it here? You seem to have worked with US teams - but I need to know more.

Career goals: seem achievable, but from what you have written - nothing that stands out and won't help your chances.
Note: If you are aiming for MBBs then 720 GMAT might be on the lower side. I know of students who retook GMAT after getting into INSEAD (!) to improve their chances for MBB recruitment. So, maybe retake the GMAT and improve both - your admission and recruitment chances. :)

Regarding your area of concern - I wouldn't worry too much about your lesser than average work experience. You seem to be a young rockstar and if you can present it well in your application, you are good :)

Hope this helped!

If you want to talk more or need my help with your application, connect with me through mail@vibranture.com

Good luck!

- Shea Rai

Dishi wrote:
Profile:
25, Indian Female.

MBA admission goal: Applying to INSEAD for the Jan 2022 intake
I feel INSEAD is the right match for me because provides opportunities into Management consulting (my post MBA career plan) for me both in Asia and Europe, where I'd like to work in the future.

Post-MBA goals:

- Short-term: Consultancy with MBB
- Long-term: FAANG (Strategy)
- Geography: Asia (Singapore, India) /Europe (UK, Belgium)/Dubai

Education:
- Bachelors in Biotechnology from IIT Guwahati, GPA 8.5/10 (Class Rank 3/60); Graduated in 2017

Experience
- 2y as an analytics consultant at EXL for a leading US luxury retailer
- 1.5y as a strategy expert at American Express (Current Employment)
- Promoted twice in the last 3.5 yrs of work experience.

GMAT: 720

Languages
- Fluent in English
- Beginner in French
- Other languages: Fluent in Hindi, Punjabi

- Swimming; lead institute swim team at national level competitions
- Fine-arts
- Volunteering for NGOs and orphanages in India

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting in INSEAD. My major concern revolves around the low work-experience as opposed to the avg. work exp at an INSEAD MAB class.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Here is a brief snapshot of my profile for INSEAD (targeting Jan 2022 intake/ Sept 2022).

Indian, Female, 26 years

GMAT - Actively prepping for this (target 680-720)

Academics:
- Bachelors in Economics (Hons.) from Delhi University | GPA 8.81/10 | Merit holder (rank 2nd in batch)
- MSc in Applied Economics from NTU, Singapore | GPA 4.3/5 | Outstanding performance award holder

Extracurricular in academics:
- Pursuing Financial modelling & valuation analyst certification
- Pursuing Wharton Business School Online certification in strategic management

WorkEx:
- Previous: 2.5 yrs in front-line Investment banking for a mid-size M&A firm based out of Singapore; VC & PE deals in the Telecom, Media & Tech sector; second in line from the MDP; lot of client meetings & travel; hiring & build teams of analysts/interns.
- Present: 1.5 yrs in consulting for a tier-1 consulting company based out of India; financial consulting in assets & wealth management sector.

Extracurriculars:
- Worked for a leading NGO to help educate children in select orphanages in verbal speaking
- Founding participant member of my current organisation's all women lead-team that provides a platform for women to engage and thrive in a competitive working environment.
- Actively participate in Toastmasters club.

Goals:
- Short term (3-5 yrs): Move into a formal Consulting track in the TMT/Tech/Impact investing sector with an objective to bring a change by revolutionising traditional brick-and-mortar industries from the ground-up.
- Long term: Establish a footprint in the TMT/Tech/Impact investing sector and join independent investment firms to invest in mid-stage high growth companies globally; find new business opportunities and build a portfolio of high-ROI firms.

How do I give back to INSEAD: By establishing a footprint in the TMT/Tech/Impact investing sector, representing the Bschool on multiple platforms in the TMT/financial services sector as a pioneer for creating new-age minds and businesses.
How do I give back to the community: A trickle-down impact created by building a portfolio of high-ROI firms that in turn help build job-opportunities and foster economic growth.

Languages: English, Hindi, German (Beginner level)

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting in INSEAD. My major concern revolves around possible low GMAT score as I have limited time to invest in studies due to long working hours.

Many thanks in advance! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi BlackSky

Your profile is impressive. I find you ambitious, hard-working, clear, focused, and accomplished. You hit all the sweet spots for a successful INSEAD application. :)

I specifically like your career progression, achievements at a young age, international experience and leadership reflected in ECs.

GMAT could be the only area of concern and you should take time to get a good score because INSEAD doesn't encourage reapplications - so better to apply with your best score.

One of my student's initially got a 640. She retook and got 680. She again took the test and got 760! This is the score with which we applied and she not only got admits to INSEAD and LBS but also good scholarships. Hope that also inspires you :)

So get a good score, even if that means you have to aim for R2 for Jan'22 or even Sep'22 intake.

If you need personalized help with your application, feel free to reach me directly at mail@vibranture.com :)
I am based in New Delhi.

I'm including the following articles for your help:
How do business schools evaluate your profile
https://vibranture.com/articles/how-scho ... rofile.htm

Top 5 ways to build profile for MBA applications
https://vibranture.com/articles/build-pr ... ations.htm

Good luck!

- Shea Rai, MBA 2010

My students have received more than $350,000 in scholarships from top US and EU business schools in 2020-2021.

If you are interested in working with me, kindly fill your details here:
https://forms.gle/mTjhmQHBNnn6M4Rx9

Testimonial from my recent admit:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/who-are-the- ... l#p2481221

BlackSky wrote:
Here is a brief snapshot of my profile for INSEAD (targeting Jan 2022 intake/ Sept 2022).

Indian, Female, 26 years

Academics:
- Bachelors in Economics (Hons.) from Delhi University | GPA 8.81/10 | Merit holder (rank 2nd in batch)
- MSc in Applied Economics from NTU, Singapore | GPA 4.3/5 | Outstanding performance award holder

WorkEx:
- Previous: 2.5 yrs in front-line Investment banking for a mid-size M&A firm based out of Singapore; VC & PE deals in the Telecom, Media & Tech sector; second in line from the MDP; lot of client meetings & travel; hiring & build teams of analysts/interns.
- Present: 1.5 yrs in consulting for a tier-1 consulting company based out of India; financial consulting in assets & wealth management sector.

Extracurriculars:
- Worked for a leading NGO to help educate children in select orphanages in verbal speaking
- Founding participant member of my current organisation's all women lead-team that provides a platform for women to engage and thrive in a competitive working environment.

Goals:
- Short term (3-5 yrs): Move into a formal Consulting track in the TMT/Tech/Impact investing sector with an objective to bring a change by revolutionising traditional brick-and-mortar industries from the ground-up.
- Long term: Establish a footprint in the TMT/Tech/Impact investing sector and join independent investment firms to invest in mid-stage high growth companies globally; find new business opportunities and build a portfolio of high-ROI firms.

How do I give back to INSEAD: By establishing a footprint in the TMT/Tech/Impact investing sector, representing the Bschool on multiple platforms in the TMT/financial services sector as a pioneer for creating new-age minds and businesses.
How do I give back to the community: A trickle-down impact created by building a portfolio of high-ROI firms that in turn help build job-opportunities and foster economic growth.

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting in INSEAD. My major concern revolves around possible low GMAT score as I have limited time to invest in studies due to long working hours.

Originally posted by SheaRai on 03 Feb 2021, 07:45.
Last edited by SheaRai on 14 May 2021, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools: ISB '23 (I)
Send PM
Hi,

I am a prospective student looking to apply in R1 for the Jan 2022 intake. Request someone to evaluate my profile given below:

BACKGROUND: 27 years, Female

GMAT SCORE: 660 [Quant:44, Verbal:37]

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
PG Diploma in Marketing Management (Welingkar Institute, Mumbai): A+ Grade [highest grade]
Bachelor's of Management Studies (H.R. College, University of Mumbai): CGPA 6.91/7.00 [top 5%]
XII - 85.33% (H.R. College, Mumbai - HSC)
X - 89.86% (Bombay Scottish School, Mumbai - ICSE)

WORK EXPERIENCE: 6+ YEARS
Tata Consumer Products Limited
[FMCG; Executive-Sales; 4+ years]
- Led multiple on ground projects ranging from digital transformation rollout to distribution innovation projects focused on increased placement of Tata Tea brands across Western India
- Participated in multiple international conferences
Teach For India
[Education-Non profit; Fellow; 2 years]
- Taught literacy and fostered community development in an underprivileged school in Dharavi, Mumbai

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Shadowbox Charitable Trust and Pragati Holistic Development Trust [COVID-19 Relief Efforts]
- Raised funds INR 2.5+ lacs to provide grains, sanitary essentials and daily necessities to over 250 families in under-resourced communities of Dharavi, Govandi-Mankhurd and Sion
Safecity: Red Dot Foundation
- Pioneered “Be Your Own Superhero” campaign to raise awareness on sexual harassment [showcased at Yale University]
Antarang Foundation
- Awarded ‘Best Mentor’ title for consistent and collaborative effort in student mentoring

POST MBA GOALS: Strategy/Marketing roles in FMCG
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BlackSky,

Thank you for sharing your profile! Your profile is very appealing and is truly focused on qualitative principles. You have “great” clarity, generally not observed in aspirants! As you’re targeting INSEAD, let me introduce you to some facets of INSEAD on which it evaluates candidates’ potential. This will help you link the dots in your profile and make your apps stand out.

1. Ability to contribute
2. Leadership skills
3. International Motivation
4. Academics

I can see a combination of all four in your profile, and that's awesome. Your acads are powerful! Together with your GPA, you are very well proclaimed to be a high-performing and committed person. In addition to this, your ECs in acads, your certification and, most notably, the Certification from Wharton would all boost your academic profile.

On the work front, you work-exp is impressive. I’m sure you will have great stories to dig out! If you locate your USPs and set the narrative right in your apps, you have a great shot at the school. Highlight your world experience impactfully. You need to demonstrate your success in the organization, how it has helped you improve, and what your commitment to the organization is. As you've worked with different clients, this demonstrates your capacity to cope with different personalities and your people skills. I can also see your interests in different spaces which demonstrates your potential to participate and excel in various fields.

Your ECs are really cool. From working with a pioneering NGO to a founding member of a women's development group, you have great stories to share.

I am fascinated by your post-MBA goals and INSEAD seems a perfect fit for them. Try to get your GMAT score up to 700 to enhance your chances to INSEAD and do not worry before taking the exam. Give your best shot and aim for a 700+. So, overall, you've got a good chance at INSEAD, and all you've got to do is to connect the experiential dots and build well-woven, impactful stories.

If you'd like, I'm happy to hop on a call sometime this week to address your concerns better and gauge your fit to INSEAD and other schools. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

BlackSky wrote:

Indian, Female, 26 years

Academics:

WorkEx:

Extracurriculars:

Goals:

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rads93,

You have a great profile and an amazing community involvement that gives the impression of a well-rounded profile. Let's talk about the academies first, a major aspect through which INSEAD tests the profiles of the candidates. Your undergrad GPA and post-grad performance are great. So, this part is pretty sorted out.

On the work front, your work exp sounds fantastic as being part of a leading IT group can help you scale up the effect that your projects have made. Heading several on-the-ground ventures says a lot about your leadership skills and states a very significant point that you've come from a good leadership context. Show the experience of engaging in international forums, learning different perspectives and ideas, what you have learned from them, and how your personality and work skills have developed.

I like your community involvement. It's terrific! Your work on relief for Covid-19 is commendable. This will have a huge effect on your overall profile as it not only shows your resilience in hard times but also your leadership stint and ability to not let shatter your community. In addition, your role in raising awareness about such a daring subject gives you a chance to deploy the skill in your applications as well. Your title of ‘Best Mentor’, again, reflects your leadership and dedication to your work. I'm sure you're going to have amazing stories to dig out! If you find your USPs well and able to craft a well-connected story in your apps, you have a pretty great shot at school.

Talking about your post-MBA goals, it seems relevant to your career. Would like to hear more to understand your vision and the impact it can bring to INSEAD and the FMCG world. Your GMAT score is low, but 37% of INSEAD students score between 650 and 700, so you still have a chance to INSEAD if you are able to craft a smart application. Also, the profile has a great deal of promise and offers excellent insight. Just keep working towards connecting the dots and build a great story.

If you'd like, I'm happy to hop on a call sometime this week to address your profile better and help you project your story. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Testimonials

rads93 wrote:
Hi,

I am a prospective student looking to apply in R1 for the Jan 2022 intake. Request someone to evaluate my profile given below:

BACKGROUND: 27 years, Female

GMAT SCORE: 660 [Quant:44, Verbal:37]

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
PG Diploma in Marketing Management (Welingkar Institute, Mumbai): A+ Grade [highest grade]
Bachelor's of Management Studies (H.R. College, University of Mumbai): CGPA 6.91/7.00 [top 5%]
XII - 85.33% (H.R. College, Mumbai - HSC)
X - 89.86% (Bombay Scottish School, Mumbai - ICSE)

WORK EXPERIENCE: 6+ YEARS
Tata Consumer Products Limited
[FMCG; Executive-Sales; 4+ years]
- Led multiple on ground projects ranging from digital transformation rollout to distribution innovation projects focused on increased placement of Tata Tea brands across Western India
- Participated in multiple international conferences
Teach For India
[Education-Non profit; Fellow; 2 years]
- Taught literacy and fostered community development in an underprivileged school in Dharavi, Mumbai

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Shadowbox Charitable Trust and Pragati Holistic Development Trust [COVID-19 Relief Efforts]
- Raised funds INR 2.5+ lacs to provide grains, sanitary essentials and daily necessities to over 250 families in under-resourced communities of Dharavi, Govandi-Mankhurd and Sion
Safecity: Red Dot Foundation
- Pioneered “Be Your Own Superhero” campaign to raise awareness on sexual harassment [showcased at Yale University]
Antarang Foundation
- Awarded ‘Best Mentor’ title for consistent and collaborative effort in student mentoring

POST MBA GOALS: Strategy/Marketing roles in FMCG
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Profile: 27 - Male - Indian - Engineer

Total Work Ex 6 years by Jan 2022

Why INSEAD?
- Most Diverse and active student/ Alumni Pool
- Would help me in setting up and scaling up my business. (My long term goal is to Start-up)
- Gateway to APAC and EU.
- Multiple Established campuses (Spend a Part at Europe Campus)

Education:
2015 Graduate ; B.E (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering - BITS Pilani ; GPA 7.3/10
12th : 89.8 %
10th : 87.2 %

GMAT - 770 (Q51, V45)

Professional Experience :
- Leadership Role : 4 months experience at Grofers. Setup Coimbatore operations, hired a team, scaled up and shut down city operations due to change in strategy to concentrate on Tier-1 Cities
- 5y in German Engineering giant (thyssenkrupp) Cement Engineering- Technical consultant to leading Cement manufacturers of India and Africa Region
- Part of Cross- Functional team (Dealing with German counterparts, Suppliers, Design Team, Projects, Estimation and Clients)
- Part of a niche team which is involved right from tendering to commissioning and plant operation support (Gave a holistic view of the Cement Industry)

Post-MBA goals:
- Short-term: Strategy Consultant to understand business dynamics of Restructuring, M&A, Turn-around and Growth. So that I can use best practices at my plant
- Long-term: Set up my own Cement Manufacturing Plant
- Geography: APAC

Languages: Fluent in English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil

- School Level : Badminton Player (Represented my district in State level competition in U-16)
- College Level: Founded SAE-India BPHC Chapter; Built a team; successfully fabricated 3 Vehicles (Effi-cycle, Go-Kart and ATV); Failed Project: Hovercraft
- College Level: Secretary of Mechanical Engineering Association
- College Level: Part of Fest Organizing and Publicity Team

Volunteering / Social:
- Solid Waste Management and worked with officials to use non-recyclable waste to burn in cement plant to reduce carbon footprint (Replacement of Coal) and land-fill without releasing harmful gases into the atmosphere
- Member of Rotary club and part of an NGO that identifies area of the society that needs improvement. [Constructed 20+ Houses for a certain section of community in Tamil Nadu]
- Part of Company's CSR Team

International Exposure
- Commissioned a 2 MTPA Cement Plant in Kenya - 30 Day trip
- Carried out a feasibility study to reuse hot gases to install a chiller at Ras-Al-Khaimah, UAE
- Capacity enhancement study of Cement Plant at Ethiopia
- Leisure Trip - Travelled to Bhutan

Background: (I'm from Cement World)
- Born and bought up in Cement Plants (Dad used to work for Cement Manufacturer)
- I work for a Cement Equipment Manufacturing company
- Dad currently partners Cement and building materials marketing firm
- Aligns with my long term goal of setting up a mid size Cement manufacturing plant as I know the technology and Market

Areas of Concern:
- My 4 months work at start-up ( I actually wanted to understand modern trade (GROFERS) ) and switched to my core area - Engineering post lay-off
- From Over-represented pool of applicants
- Average Undergraduate CG
- I don't have an high impact social work apart from Solid Waste management (which is actually relevant to Cement Industry)

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting into INSEAD. Do we need TOEFL/ IELTS for Indian Applicants?

Thank you.
R Janardhana Balaji

Originally posted by RJBalaZ on 07 Feb 2021, 22:38.
Last edited by RJBalaZ on 08 Feb 2021, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all,

I am looking for the Jan 2022 intake and it would be great to have some input!

BACKGROUND
29 years old, Scandinavian, Male

GMAT SCORE
Not taken yet. Have not taken a standardized test for 10 years, so the studying is ongoing. Aiming at 660-680, but it would be great to hear where I should aim at before sending the application. I know I am strong at math but a lot of the parts of the GMAT I haven't used since High School..

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
Graduate diploma in business administration (taken part-time over 4 years while working full time).

WORK EXPERIENCE -
Total: 10+ YEARS, 6+ years of management experience

- Auditor at one of the big four - 3 years
- Controller at a multinational company - 1 year
- Finance Manager in UK, Africa and South East Asia (lived all three places while having these positions) with employee responsibility at a multinational company (same company where I was a Controller) - 2.5 years
- Finance Manager for a multi national company for Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Baltics with employee responsibility - 1 year
- Current position: CFO for Denmark, Norway and Sweden for a major multi-national company. Employee Responsibility (3 direct reports, total 5 FTE in team), part of management group, reporting to MD and CFO Europe, part of strategic discussions etc. - 3 years (as of Jan 2022).

OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Have been involved in politics in High School (vice president for a national student organization)
- Took one exchange year in Japan in High School (at 16 before starting actual High School back home).
- Completed an Ironman Triathlon and multiple half Ironman Triathlons.

POST MBA GOALS
Strategy and general management.

AREAS OF CONCERN
I am slightly worried about my academic results where I have not much to show (my GPA is fairly low as I was working 100 hours a week while taking my Diploma).
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi RJBalaZ,

Thanks for sharing your profile in detail. The best part of your profile is I can connect the dots, something you find very rare at this stage of the application. Now, let me give you the parameters through which INSEAD tests the profile of the applicants:

1.Ability to contribute
2.Leadership
3.International motivation
4.Academics

I can see the blend of all the aspects in your profile. Your undergraduate GPA and 12th grades are decent and to address your GPA concern here, I even do not think it’s a concern. You have a good GPA and a solid GMAT score and just to give you a perspective of INSEAD adcoms, it accords much more importance to your story than these scores.

On the work front, 4 months at the start of your career in a start-up must have given you an understanding of how a business grows from ground zero. Working in a startup is not a red flag, rather it’s making your story better by highlighting your strengths and bringing impact in your profile. Highlight how the experience was and your learnings from it. From your work experience, I can see leadership, considerable international awareness in you for your core, teamwork and your ability to interact (and maybe learn) from diverse personalities.

Your International Exp is worth highlighting. Speak about your work in Kenya, the UAE and Ethiopia in-depth, how you worked in various environments, what obstacles you've encountered and how you've conquered them. Bring a narrative of your contribution to these multinational initiatives and how they have had an influence on you and your work. This will make your profile much more appealing and interesting.

Talking about your ECs, they're pretty interesting. Your participation in sport gives a glimpse of what different interests make you. Speak about your college projects, how you've got an idea and stories of your failures and learnings. Overall, your ECs are not weak. What matters more is how you present them. Try to bring your personality on the apps through ECs.

I can see that your post-MBA goals are aligned with your previous work exp, I would recommend that you show your drive behind the start-up and aim to give these goals a global perspective.

Overall, your profile is excellent and competitive and being an engineer myself, I understand this pool and how crucial it is for us to bring uniqueness and potential in our profiles. And for that, you need to first dig in deep and find your USPs, only then can you get the confidence to stand out and craft a story that can change your life!

If you'd like, I'm happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in detail and help you address your hiccups better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

RJBalaZ wrote:
Profile: 27 - Male - Indian - Engineer

Total Work Ex 6 years by Jan 2022

Why INSEAD?
- Most Diverse and active student/ Alumni Pool
- Would help me in setting up and scaling up my business. (My long term goal is to Start-up)
- Gateway to APAC and EU.
- Multiple Established campuses (Spend a Part at Europe Campus)

Education:
2015 Graduate ; B.E (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering - BITS Pilani ; GPA 7.3/10
12th : 89.8 %
10th : 87.2 %

GMAT - 770 (Q51, V45)

Professional Experience :
- Leadership Role : 4 months experience Grofers. Setup Coimbatore operations, hired a team, scaled up and shut down city operations due to change in strategy to concentrate on Tier-1 Cities
- 5y in German Engineering giant (thyssenkrupp) Cement Engineering- Technical consultant to leading Cement manufacturers of India and Africa Region
- Part of Cross- Functional team (Dealing with German counterparts, Suppliers, Design Team, Projects, Estimation and Clients)
- Part of a niche team which is involved right from tendering to commissioning and plant operation support (Gave a holistic view of the Cement Industry)

Post-MBA goals:
- Short-term: Strategy Consultant to understand business dynamics of Restructuring, M&A, Turn-around and Growth. So that I can handle use best practices at my plant
- Long-term: Set up my own Cement Manufacturing Plant
- Geography: APAC

Languages: Fluent in English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil

- School Level : Badminton Player (Represented my district in State level competition in U-16)
- College Level: Founded SAE-India BPHC Chapter; Built a team; successfully fabricated 3 Vehicles (Effi-cycle, Go-Kart and ATV); Failed Project: Hovercraft
- College Level: Secretary of Mechanical Engineering Association
- College Level: Part of Fest Organizing and Publicity Team

Volunteering / Social:
- Solid Waste Management and worked with officials to use non-recyclable waste to burn in cement plant to reduce carbon footprint (Replacement of Coal) and land-fill without releasing harmful gases into the atmosphere
- Member of Rotary club and part of an NGO that identifies area of the society that needs improvement. [Constructed 20+ Houses for a certain section of community in Tamil Nadu]
- Part of Company's CSR Team

International Exposure
- Commissioned a 2 MTPA Cement Plant in Kenya - 30 Day trip
- Carried out a feasibility study to reuse hot gases to install a chiller at Ras-Al-Khaimah, UAE
- Capacity enhancement study of Cement Plant at Ethiopia
- Leisure Trip - Travelled to Bhutan

Background: (I'm from Cement World)
- Born and bought up in Cement Plants (Dad used to work for Cement Manufacturer)
- I work for a Cement Equipment Manufacturing company
- Dad currently partners Cement and building materials marketing firm
- Aligns with my long term goal of setting up a mid size Cement manufacturing plant as I know the technology and Market

Areas of Concern:
- My 4 months work at start-up ( I actually wanted to understand modern trade (GROFERS) ) and switched to my core area - Engineering post lay-off
- From Over-represented pool of applicants
- Average Undergraduate CG
- I don't have an high impact social work apart from Solid Waste management (which is actually relevant to Cement Industry)

Kindly revert regarding the chances of getting into INSEAD. Do we need TOEFL/ IELTS for Indian Applicants?

Thank you.
R Janardhana Balaji
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jef91,

welcome to GMAT Club and thank you for your first post.

I see a lot of good things in your profile. It is clear that you have the extensive international experience that INSEAD values so much and that will help you show that you meet the International Motivation admissions criterion. And I really like your career progression, which clearly indicates Leadership Potential (another admissions criterion). It would be great to take a look at your CV, though, to have more detail on each position. Feel free to email it to me at alex@arleeconsulting.com.

To your questions/concerns:

1. GPA. Undergraduate grades are not that important for INSEAD. In order to assess the Academic Capacity admissions criterion, INSEAD considers the quality of your education rather than your grades per se. And GMAT is one important factor here as well. Which leads to my next point.

2. GMAT. As you may know, INSEAD's average score is usually around 710. So, ideally, you want to be in that neighborhood to be on the "safer" side. That being said, I have worked with European applicants with somewhat similar academic backgrounds (e.g. low GPA, part-time education while working full-time or focusing on a professional sports career, college drop-outs...) and they have been accepted usually with scores around 660-680, and sometimes even 640.

As you may have read, the number of applications has increased since the pandemic. And on top of this, INSEAD has just been ranked #1 in the Financial Times ranking, therefore, competition will be fierce. So, again, if possible, try to aim closer to the 710 neighborhood, but a 660-680 could still be okay, especially with a very strong application.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jef91,

Your profile looks decent at the first glance, with the work exp being a big highlight. The GMAT score you are aiming for is quite low relative to the class average of 730. The middle range of GMAT score for INSEAD is between 670-750, so I recommend that you aim to drive a little up to 700 so that you have a pretty good shot at INSEAD. And the GMAT 700+ score will also compensate for your GPA. Nevertheless, if you can not score a good one, you must work smart on your story and apps.

Your work experience is a strong point in your apps, you need to point out the situations and instances in your work exp where you stepped up in a leadership capacity and helped the company to get out of the imminent troubles as INSEAD appreciates the leadership skills of the candidate, especially when you have 10+ years of experience. Show your success in your company and your commitment to the community to bring an impact in your work. You have served in various leadership roles with huge responsibilities, just illustrate the importance that you have added to the company for its growth and advancement.

Also, you seem to have great global exposure. Make it relevant in your profile through highlighting how these experiences have had an impact on your work, personality and vision.

Speaking about your ECs, I especially liked your participation in triathlons. Bring this passion on your apps to help adcoms learn about different sides and interests of yours.

For your post-MBA goals, you already are at C-level positions. Why do you need a full-time MBA? Even if you need the feel of an MBA, why not an executive MBA? I would like to hear more about your post-MBA goals in depth so that I can join the dots between your post-MBA goals and the prior work experience and gauge the relevance of an MBA in your career.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in detail and address your concerns better.
Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Testimonials

jef91 wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for the Jan 2022 intake and it would be great to have some input!

BACKGROUND
29 years old, Scandinavian, Male

GMAT SCORE
Not taken yet. Have not taken a standardized test for 10 years, so the studying is ongoing. Aiming at 660-680, but it would be great to hear where I should aim at before sending the application. I know I am strong at math but a lot of the parts of the GMAT I haven't used since High School..

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
Graduate diploma in business administration (taken part-time over 4 years while working full time).

WORK EXPERIENCE -
Total: 10+ YEARS, 6+ years of management experience

- Auditor at one of the big four - 3 years
- Controller at a multinational company - 1 year
- Finance Manager in UK, Africa and South East Asia (lived all three places while having these positions) with employee responsibility at a multinational company (same company where I was a Controller) - 2.5 years
- Finance Manager for a multi national company for Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Baltics with employee responsibility - 1 year
- Current position: CFO for Denmark, Norway and Sweden for a major multi-national company. Employee Responsibility (3 direct reports, total 5 FTE in team), part of management group, reporting to MD and CFO Europe, part of strategic discussions etc. - 3 years (as of Jan 2022).

OTHER ACTIVITIES
- Have been involved in politics in High School (vice president for a national student organization)
- Took one exchange year in Japan in High School (at 16 before starting actual High School back home).
- Completed an Ironman Triathlon and multiple half Ironman Triathlons.

POST MBA GOALS
Strategy and general management.

AREAS OF CONCERN
I am slightly worried about my academic results where I have not much to show (my GPA is fairly low as I was working 100 hours a week while taking my Diploma).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi
Please evaluate my profile

Indian, Male , 24

Planning for Jan 22 intake

GMAT : 710 ( Q49,V38)
Work ex: Entire experience is Overseas.
Joined as a intern converted to Business development manager and promoted to Area supply manager
2.8 yrs (till now) for a hospitality company (3rd largest hospitality group in the world)
Launched a new vertical for the business in Dubai. Scaled it from zero to peak and still holding it up
Managed a team of 6 professionals pre Covid
Managing 2 people currently
Best performer awards for various quarters and months

Academics :
MBA - an Indian university in Dubai (8.03/10)
Btech - Top 10 private university (6.4/10)

EC:
General secretary of a trust in my Hometown raised ~8000$ till now through network in Dubai.
Involved in social activities while at college. Secretary of a social activity club
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50   51   52  ...  70   
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3699 posts