Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2102 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request for MiM in HEC, LBS, ESSEC, ESADE etc [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
RAJDEEP1995 wrote:
I took my GRE and scored 330 (160 in VA, 170 in QA).

I would like to start preparing applications for an MiM programme in HEC, London Business School, ESSEC and a few others.

I completed my 4 year baccalaureate course in Engineering (Electronics & Communication) in 2017. I have a GPA of 8.22 out of 10.
Since then, I did a one-year internship in a friend's startup, where I could make a major impact. I built the entire business plan and the website and the sorts. I also wanted to find out if I could ever be good for an intelligence agency in my country. (It is the espionage system for internal securities, lets just say. I can't take names.) So I tried for the exam and I am 90% through. I wanted a feather on my cap, however, it is not something I can ever mention on my SOP or the essays during my application (for obvious reasons), nor do I seek to pursue a career in that as of now.

Presently I am looking for a job where I can work for one year, till I leave for a university.

When it comes to extra-curricular activities, I have been a performing artist in recitation, plays, theater etc for 11 years. I also volunteered in an NGO, to teach, last year. I also play the Ukulele and the guitar. I will also start taking up French classes from next week. I also took part in entrepreneurship programmes in college, and I also have a certificate from the United Nations, working on "Go Green" campaigns.

My problem is, I do not have a substantial corporate work experience since I graduated, last year July. I did have a job offer from campus placements, but I did not take it up when the time came for me to join.

I wanted to know my chances, in the aforementioned colleges. And also, whether I can improve my profile in the next two months.

Dear Rajdeep

Thanks for posting. Congratulations on your GRE score - it is quite strong and will play a major factor in your success. Here is our advice:
- MiM programs don't really rely on work experience as a major factor, and are quite ok with internship experience as well. You can mention this experience, although you might want to mask key details such as client names. You can also cover details on the parts you worked on, and it will still count as professional experience, even though you are not continuing in that role or industry.
- Be aware of admissions requirements for top MiM programs. For example, the LBS MiM does not accept applications from candidates with 2+ years of experience at the point of joining. The other choices you have are fine (HEC and ESSEC).
- Your academics are quite good and your ECA are outstanding. No worries there at all - they will be definite assets.
- At this point, there is not too much that you can do to improve your profile. Use this time to get into another role, as not being employed at the point of application can be a slight negative, even for MiM programs.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request for MiM in HEC, LBS, ESSEC, ESADE etc [#permalink]
Hey,
Thanks for your kind words.
To be very honest, I studied for the GRE test for 4 days. My exam was on a Friday, and I had forgotten all about it, till that week's Monday.
I bought a second hand book, the ETS official guide and solved that for the next few days.
To answer your other questions, and also for a more realistic take on the test, here are my pointers:
1. It should not take more than 3 months to prepare for the exam.
2. I messed up the verbal section big time, because of the lack of preparation. Practising hard, every day, for atleast a month will help in getting familiar with the type of questions and their level.
One app I will definitely recommend is a free app on Android/IOS from Magoosh. It's called GRE Vocabulary and all the important words were there as cards. It saved my scores as far as I know.
Do download that app.
2. I am bilingual and English is also my native tongue. So I was a bit familiar with the words, and also so because I read a lot. Start reading magazines and newspapers and as many books as you can. Just make sure they are British, because most of the American ones have a very diluted language. But a key pointer is, even if you have quite a few options, the right option in GRE is usually a word you'll be more familiar with. Use this trick.
3. A perfect score in Quants usually means you have gotten all correct or you got one really tough question wrong. In my case it was the latter, because I realised the solution after I went home. Know your basics like the back of your hand. The quants Just remember you should be able to complete each section fully twice in the given time. That is the rule of thumb of I followed. So only take the test when you can do this for quants.

Lastly, I have taken formal guidance for other exams and have performed below my standards. For GRE,I did not take any guidance. Study on your own, figure out tricks on your own and give the exam as comfortably as you can.
Best of luck for GRE. Get a great score. :D

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2102 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
RAJDEEP1995 wrote:
Hey,
Thanks for your kind words.
To be very honest, I studied for the GRE test for 4 days. My exam was on a Friday, and I had forgotten all about it, till that week's Monday.
I bought a second hand book, the ETS official guide and solved that for the next few days.
To answer your other questions, and also for a more realistic take on the test, here are my pointers:
1. It should not take more than 3 months to prepare for the exam.
2. I messed up the verbal section big time, because of the lack of preparation. Practising hard, every day, for atleast a month will help in getting familiar with the type of questions and their level.
One app I will definitely recommend is a free app on Android/IOS from Magoosh. It's called GRE Vocabulary and all the important words were there as cards. It saved my scores as far as I know.
Do download that app.
2. I am bilingual and English is also my native tongue. So I was a bit familiar with the words, and also so because I read a lot. Start reading magazines and newspapers and as many books as you can. Just make sure they are British, because most of the American ones have a very diluted language. But a key pointer is, even if you have quite a few options, the right option in GRE is usually a word you'll be more familiar with. Use this trick.
3. A perfect score in Quants usually means you have gotten all correct or you got one really tough question wrong. In my case it was the latter, because I realised the solution after I went home. Know your basics like the back of your hand. The quants Just remember you should be able to complete each section fully twice in the given time. That is the rule of thumb of I followed. So only take the test when you can do this for quants.

Lastly, I have taken formal guidance for other exams and have performed below my standards. For GRE,I did not take any guidance. Study on your own, figure out tricks on your own and give the exam as comfortably as you can.
Best of luck for GRE. Get a great score. :D

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for your reply and inputs!! Nice to know you cracked GRE with very less prep!! All the best for your admissions!!
GMAT Club Bot