Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink]
Hi again smoothnavigator - thanks for the additional comments, it's always helpful to know where someone is coming from. On the GMAT, you're right that the 700 proves that you can handle the curriculum of a good school - that score is certainly nothing to be ashamed of! And it is only one part of the mix. But our prior comments still stand. The fact that you only tested once, and that the quant is the same as you got BEFORE all that studying, just sorta makes us think that you should give it another shot if you're really serious about this MBA thing. It's one way to communicate how you're dedicated to the process. A higher GMAT alone doesn't guarantee anything, and the current score isn't so low it would prevent you, but if someone wants to pull out all the stops.... we're just sayin' :) We won't belabor it from here though! Totally get it that the test is nothing nice and not trying to dictate your strategy. You need to proceed as you see fit.

To your goals - and first your statement that "no body else needs a MBA more than me" - well that's a little hyped up but we get your point - and we also see how that could backfire.

If your goals are such that you CANNOT PURSUE THEM WITHOUT THE MBA then there's actually an argument to be made that you're not capable or qualified to pursue the goals, that they're too ambitious or more than you can handle. We are totally taking the extreme devil's advocate position here but hopefully you see the risk with it.

What you've stated for goals is VERY ambitious (we're going with what you stated in your first post - you seem to have changed directions in the next one - which is cause for concern in a whole other direction). Whether it's pitched as the short-term goal or the long-term one, starting a consulting company is going to be a very big endeavor for you. And that's fine. The schools like ambition. But if you're coming at this with no traditional business experience, then it's going to be a hard sell to some of the adcoms. You have your work cut out for you to pitch it in the right way, to show how you're capable and ready for something this big.

It may seem like all our responses to you are to try and cut you down, and that is NOT our intent - we're just trying to help you see things as others will see them, so you can anticipate those objections and build out a pitch that covers all the bases.

Oil and gas and shipping are both on the upswing and both industries also have some challenges. It's likely you can find a great post-MBA job in one of these fields, given your industry experience. You do bring a nice assortment of features to an app to business school. The pitch is of utmost importance at many of these programs so just be sure to work out the kinks in your strategy and have clear, consistent messaging with a straightforward argument around why the MBA is necessary, and you'll have the best chance of success.

Good luck with it! Bschool is exciting stuff, love to see the motivation you've got.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EssaySnark,

Many thanks for providing me the feedback.

Regarding GMAT, there are couple of more complications. I have already joined back and for next few months I will travelling to various parts of world ( not confirmed which area). Right now I am in Istanbul for 3 weeks or so and then I will set my sails to other part of world. So giving GMAT is not possible for next 3 months and in Sept I will be sitting right on top of round 1.

Yes, I feel my goals are challenging, but more than that I feel they are achievable also. Yes, doing MBA is very important for my goals for following reasons

1) I will gain a tremendous amounts of knowledge and insight by doing a regular MBA, it will surely broaden my horizons and learning never hurts.

2) Doing MBA from a good school will help me to create a good network which in turn will help be get a right post- MBA job ( Hopefully, which will be suitable for my long term goals).

3) A correct job will help me to learn more complex intricacies of business that are required for my future goals and will also help me to create networks that are required to set up the type of consultancy services I want.
After all just doing an MBA and setting up a consultancy will not be a great idea ( I know there is market for such consultancies, but the market should also know me).

So all in all, yes MBA is quiet important in the entire process. I believe my plan does make some sense, and I will try to sell it across .

But will I stumble and fall, if I miss any of above 3 steps. No I might stumble , but I will not fall.
I have decent backup plans for all three steps.
Send PM
Really appreciate your attitude smoothnavigator! You've got what it takes to succeed based on that alone.

But we are still worried about what we're hearing you say re: goals.

While we're certain that everything you said below is true, it's also true for pretty much everyone applying to bschool - AND, nothing you said below gives us a greater understanding of what your goals really are nor does it make us feel more confident re: the issues we floated already. We can't actually get into a full admissions consulting engagement here on the boards but we do want to encourage you to spend more time on what your goals are and how you're articulating them. These are critically important for admission to many schools.

On the GMAT - understood completely, the reality of your situation is different from most. Thanks for that clarification. We're not trying to say that it's impossible for you to make it in with the current score, and we agree that a Round 1 app does afford advantages. However, you may want to have a plan in the back of your mind for how to retake the GMAT in the Fall, in advance of Round 2 apps, in case your first attempts don't pan out.

Again, love your attitude - that counts for a lot! Good luck with everything and stay in touch, we're interested to see how things work for you.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
Really appreciate your attitude smoothnavigator! You've got what it takes to succeed based on that alone.

But we are still worried about what we're hearing you say re: goals.

While we're certain that everything you said below is true, it's also true for pretty much everyone applying to bschool - AND, nothing you said below gives us a greater understanding of what your goals really are nor does it make us feel more confident re: the issues we floated already. We can't actually get into a full admissions consulting engagement here on the boards but we do want to encourage you to spend more time on what your goals are and how you're articulating them. These are critically important for admission to many schools.

On the GMAT - understood completely, the reality of your situation is different from most. Thanks for that clarification. We're not trying to say that it's impossible for you to make it in with the current score, and we agree that a Round 1 app does afford advantages. However, you may want to have a plan in the back of your mind for how to retake the GMAT in the Fall, in advance of Round 2 apps, in case your first attempts don't pan out.

Again, love your attitude - that counts for a lot! Good luck with everything and stay in touch, we're interested to see how things work for you.

EssaySnark

Hi EssaySnark,

Thanks again for all the inputs, I will definitely re look at goals( not changing them but by articulating in a better way).
All other advises well taken, and will try to improve on all the sections you highlighted. ( including GMAT if possible).
GMAT Club Bot