GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation request: Indian based in US/Tech Sales

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation request: Indian based in US/Tech Sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 09:37
Hello Admission consultants,

Request your expert advice on my path to B schools for switching to MBB.

Age - 32
Experience - 8+ years
2004-2008 - B Tech - Mech Engg; 2.8/4
2008-2012: 4 years with IBM Global - 2 promotions, 2 awards as best employee in a project of 150 people.
Role - 2008-2009 - Application Developer - designed and built Deutsche Banks investment banking operations at the backend. Was responsible for securities management and implementing business logic in the back office.
2009 - 2010 - Role expanded to work with other crucial teams in the security operations process like Settlements, P&L, Accounting System, Client Services and Reporting.
2010 - 2012 - Business analyst - Helped business users to add new regional entities in Deutsche Bank's securities portfolio. Managed a team of 3 very good people to get the job done before time.

Extra curricular:
1. Tried to start a maths olympiad coaching class for 10th grade students in Pune, India. It miserably failed due to timing issue; students in the city who were serious with such exams already enrolled in other classes before their 9th grade even ended. Bad interpretation of the market from my side. Anyway i spent a lot of time in branding, marketing, giving demo classes, talking to parents, planning safe transportation for the students, arranging for a good space for a class and building the right syllabus. All demos received 10/10 rating from the students and school teachers.
2. Supported a farmer's child's annual education and book expenses through World Vision throughout 4 years. Also taught our helper's child with homework and science studies during these years.

International experience: Visited Thailand on personal expenses. Worked with teams from US, UK, China and Spain during my work with IBM.

2012-2014: Did PGDM from IIM Rohtak (equivalent to MBA in India) - scored 6.5/10 ~ 2.6/4 direct conversion; entrance CAT score 98.7%ile
Grades were decent in the 1st year about 7.5/10 but got involved in more networking, event hosting and placement development activities. The institute was relatively new and I with my team of 18 students were involved to have more and more companies at campus for the greater good so that maximum students could be placed. This diverted a lot of my focus from studies and dipped my grades again. However, i could bag one of the top 2 positions in terms of compensation, designation and opportunity (intl business at a top 10 tech services firm)

2014 to now:
2014 - 2016 Joined my firm in India worked there as a sales support bringing new logos to the company. Basically cold calls, emails and helping US sales team with marketing efforts.
2016 - now: Was asked to join US team as a sales and client manager. The youngest in my team of 20 senior sales executives and youngest in the company of 80 sales executives. I brought $11mn of business, took competitor's business, expanded current business by 50% in existing accounts, working with partners like SAP, Dell, Microsoft to win deals across ERP, Security and infrastructure. I am managing a team 50 people across US, Romania, China and India and hopefully would reach to 100 next year with a current deal i am working on.

I have worked with clients here in US, Romania, UK, Mexico and China expanding our coverage globally. Earned recognition from the CIO. Was one of the first to build a business partnership deal with our sister company in Romania.

However, seeing my seniors i realized that end of the day we are just body shopping which is typically the case in IT deals thus i want to move to a management consulting career where i can actually solve problems for the client. This is my biggest need to move to an MBB feeder.

I need your advice on how can i plan from here. For the last couple of weeks i researched a lot and found that it is quite difficult to get into an MBB feeder like INSEAD with 2nd mba, my age, and past grades and top of that being Indian. Also all US schools offer 2 years of MBA which would be a costly affair since i am married. But i am willing to make that sacrifice for Booth and Kellogg since they are local to Chicago where i stay and Wharton due to its stature. For 1 year courses i could only identify INSEAD and may be LBS though not very sure of that.

However, i am planning to get my GC by next year so that when i apply i won't be counted among the Indian pool. Additionally, I am targeting a score of 750+ to better my chances.

I am not aiming for EMBA or sloan fellows because i am not looking for career progression, i am looking for career change.

Please advise and feel free to ask more questions.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation request: Indian based in US/Tech Sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 20:44
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have done a nice job doing your research and self-evaluating your profile. Before you can secure and admit you must prevent yourself from being dinged. So I believe you have the right action steps. Booth and Kellogg are top flight MBB feeders but to break through at these schools you will need to hit your target GMAT scores and create a strong application to be competitive. You're an older applicant so it will be key to have a strong sense of self and be able to clearly communicate why right now is the right time you are pursuing your MBA. If you are able to do all of the above you should have a good chance at success

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation request: Indian based in US/Tech Sales   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 20:44

Profile Evaluation request: Indian based in US/Tech Sales

new topic post reply Update application status