GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request: Indian F, 26 yo, Lawyer, 4y PQE (GMAT 710)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.25
WE: Law (Law)
Profile Evaluation Request: Indian F, 26 yo, Lawyer, 4y PQE (GMAT 710)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 08:46
Hi GMAT Experts,

Could you provide an evaluation of my profile and my chances of actually getting into these schools? I gave an attempt just today and might give another attempt at GMAT if the popular opinion remains that my current score is not good enough considering my profile and the kind of business schools I want.

I intend to apply to the top-20 B-Schools (per the latest FT rankings) and would be considering a consultancy job. Target schools are Sloan, Booth, Columbia, INSEAD, Stanford and Harvard.

GMAT: 720 (V-40/ Q-47/ IR-5/ AWA-TBA).

Female, Indian (Mumbai), 27 yo

Educational qualification - Law graduate from one of the top 10 law schools in India. However, I have graduated with a 67% grade which places me slightly above average at my law school.

Work experience - 4 years work experience.
1. Worked for 2 years at one of the top-6 law firms in India.
2. Currently working at the #1 law firm in India from the past 2 years.

Work description - M&A and private equity transactions. My work profile includes drafting transaction documents, negotiations, conducting due diligence and legal research.
I have received consistently good ratings at both jobs (and will get recommendations from both my ex-boss and my current boss). I have also recently been promoted to a Senior Associate, which is one of the 3 promotions we receive in our entire career as legal professionals at law firms.

Extra-curricular activities: Volunteering at NGOs that provide free legal aid to disadvantaged women.

Thanks a lot!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation Request: Indian F, 26 yo, Lawyer, 4y PQE (GMAT 710)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 07:23
Hi AkanshaS,

Thank you for your post. You're really targeting the most difficult schools in the world, so if you think you have more points up your sleeve, I would support giving the GMAT another go in order to boost your score. There are schools in the U.S. top 10-15 that have publicly stated at admissions events that Indian applicants should target a 740 or better to make themselves competitive -- and that's a couple of tiers down from the schools that you're targeting. Those super sobering GMAT score thresholds / anecdotes typically arise in context of Indian *male* applicants, which is a hyper crowded and competitive applicant pool. But they are still directionally informative here. (I've included a series of links below that I believe will help you better understand the admissions landscape.)

That doesn't mean you have no chance without a 740, but it would be a nice target if you feel that you could add to your current score. Conversely, getting a 740 doesn't mean you're going to get in, especially when your targets are super concentrated toward the tippy top of the rankings. You will still have to execute extremely well and differentiate yourself amidst a crowded and competitive pool. (I know you didn't list Wharton, but Indian applicants with a 740 still have only a sub-5% acceptance rate, and Wharton is a bigger program than many of the ones you listed, which means more seats in the class.) Either way, regardless of where your score ends up, I would encourage you to consider building some range into your school strategy. I'm not suggesting that you apply to schools that you wouldn't be excited to attend, but at present, you are more or less entertaining the most aggressive school strategy one could assemble.

I would also encourage you to really think deeply about your career goals and why you wish to transition from top-tier law to business. You should try to break that down into layers beyond simply "I want to transition into consulting." Why do you want to do that? What moments or projects have piqued your interest in the business side? What type of consulting do you wish to do, teams would you hope to work on, and industries would you wish to focus on? What are your medium-term goals after consulting and long-term goals thereafter? What's the passion and purpose behind these goals? Why do you believe your impact can be greater with these goals than via law? What knowledge, skills, and experience do you already have that are relevant to these goals? What knowledge, skills, and experience are you missing and therefore need to acquire via an MBA?

(And later on, when you're researching schools, talking to current students and alumni, and doing your applications, how exactly will you acquire these things at each specific MBA program... which courses, clubs, extracurriculars, case competitions, conferences... what about each schools' community, culture, or even location make it right for you... how can you uniquely contribute... etc.)

I would be happy to elaborate on all of the above and answer your questions, so please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBA Admission Chances for Indian Applicants - Top 50 Analysis: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-admissio ... 39142.html

This is targeted for Indian males but is still a helpful read: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-indian-m ... 56968.html

I know you didn't list Wharton but this is still an informative read: http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... pplicants/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request: Indian F, 26 yo, Lawyer, 4y PQE (GMAT 710)   [#permalink] 03 May 2019, 07:23

Profile Evaluation Request: Indian F, 26 yo, Lawyer, 4y PQE (GMAT 710)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap