GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request - South East Asian Digital Boy

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Profile Evaluation Request - South East Asian Digital Boy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Mar 2019, 01:37
edited

Originally posted by izulman on 18 Jun 2017, 03:01.
Last edited by izulman on 26 Mar 2019, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Vantage Point MBA Co-Founder
S
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - South East Asian Digital Boy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 20:03
Hi Izulman,

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response – as you can imagine, we’ve been quite busy! But I’m happy to share some initial feedback on your profile. It sounds like you’ve had an impressive career trajectory so far with the opportunity to lead some high-impact projects. That will certainly play in your favor in your applications. I also think that you have a powerful personal story that if leveraged strategically in your apps, could really help set you apart.

I agree that your quant score on the GMAT is challenging for the top programs – but doesn’t automatically put you out of the running. Given your list of target schools (all very quant-y), I would recommend giving it one more shot. Given your undergrad major, the fact that you passed all levels of the CFA, and that you have analytical responsibilities at work, I think you have a good mitigation story BUT it’s a very competitive applicant pool and would you be comfortable wondering “what if?” if you settled for your current score?

You don’t mention what your goals are for post-MBA so its tough for me to advise you on fit for additional programs. However, in general, programs like Tuck, Darden, and most recently NYU take a particular interest in accepting well-rounded applicants with compelling stories so I’ve often found them to be a bit more forgiving on an applicant’s “stats”.

In general, my advice to you would be to make a decision on the GMAT and re-take it, if that’s what you decide. Then use that to finalize your list of schools so that you can shift your focus to developing a great story + goals and writing some killer essays :)

Best of luck to you! Let me know if I can be of further help.

Kindly,
Melody
Request an initial consultation!
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 06:08
Hi Melody,
Thanks for the response. It is really helpful indeed, and I am reconsidering Wharton, Booth and Sloan as all schools are very quantitative centric per say.
I am planning to retake but I am not sure how far I could go likely still within 700 - 720 range based on by practice sets. At max I could do for quan would be Q49 given limited time and I do not think I could push my verbal further.

Anyway,
In a short term, I would like to get exposure in big tech corporations (think Google, Apple, Amazon) in product management having end to end visibility of innovation and digital management, with specific focus in South East Asia and emerging markets.

In a long term, I plan to come back to South East Asia, leveraging on the experience and exposure I have in leading global tech, and help in digital transformation for local corporations (especially government linked companies) that struggled to re-position themselves in a challenging global competition given advancement of technology. This would essentially include developing innovative product and business models, aligning organisation with global best practices and instilling new culture in the digital world.

I have spoken to a few consultants including alumni, and refining my schools to include Yale and UCLA too. But, your view on Tuck, Darden and NYU is valid, I just am not sure how tech story and aspiration can fit into 'non-tech' schools such as those .. Will continue exploring.
Vantage Point MBA Co-Founder
S
Schools: CBS '13 (A)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 18:29
Hi Izulman, thanks for the additional detail on your career goals and school selection process. It sounds like you're taking all the right steps to determine the best path forward. I wouldn't worry too much about any top MBA being "non-tech" as there really isn't such a thing anymore :) All of the top programs are going to have their fair share of students coming from and targeting the tech industry and their course offerings, recruiting relationships, etc. all reflect that. Plus, you're not going to business school to only learn an industry, right? You're going to learn transferable skills and most importantly, a mindset. So I think you can focus on other elements of your ambitions and the schools' programming/resources for an equally compelling fit story. But obviously, don't force it if the fit simply isn't there. You need to genuinely see yourself as part of that school's community otherwise it's not worth your time.

Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody
Request an initial consultation!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - South East Asian Digital Boy   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2017, 18:29

Profile Evaluation Request - South East Asian Digital Boy

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap