GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 09:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Requesti - 25 yr old US Male w/ 720 gmat

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation Requesti - 25 yr old US Male w/ 720 gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2020, 07:18
Hi, Can ypu please review my profile and let me know if my target schools are in range? Thanks!

Background: 25 year old US Male.

Academics: Indiana University Kelley undergrad – B.S. Economics, graduating in 2018 studied abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark with a focus in philosophy. Participated in Student Government and business fraternity

GPA: 3.84/4.00
GMAT: 720

Professional Experience: 2 years at Deloitte Consulting (at time of application) as an engagement financial advisor. Have received one promotion and now manage one US and one India colleague.. Manage over 30 million in annual revenue & work alongside Partners and Directors to create pricing proposals to potential and existing clients

Goals: Transition from consulting to a leading CPG firm in the short term. Long term goal is an entrepreneurial venture or work for a startup as a strategy officer

Target schools: Kellogg, Booth, Ross, Kelley, Mendoza

Extracurriculars/Other information: Am involved in Kelley alumni association and have gone back to speak to current students in an alumni panel with 70 attendees. Have trained in jiu jitsu for 6+ years and currently teach kids classes. Have competed and won in national competitions. Have been accepted to Darden as a future year scholar
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation Requesti - 25 yr old US Male w/ 720 gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 09:31
Hi jomregan,

Thank you for your post. Here are a few thoughts and reactions:

SCHOOL STRATEGY

If the five schools you listed were a standalone strategy, it would feel "light in the middle" to me. I think that Booth and Kellogg will be very difficult, with Booth being perhaps a shade more so. (Please note that I don't have much background beyond "25-year-old American male." More demo context would be helpful.) That doesn't mean M7 programs don't belong in the strategy -- in fact, a good school strategy should push the upside envelope in terms of where you can get in. But where I believe you're light is among what I would consider the "more aligned" schools -- i.e., where you currently have Ross. I think you could add a Tuck, perhaps, or at least one more from the Ross / Darden range (unless because you already have Darden via Future Scholars, you don't want to).

You're really even skipping another tier between the T10-15s and where you have Kelley and Mendoza. So if you really wanted to balance things out from "Booth/Kellogg through Kelley/Mendoza", you might look at gap-filling not only in the T9-15 range, but also in the T15-20 range. (And figuring out how many schools you want to apply to, as you don't want to run it up too high.)

KELLEY AND MENDOZA

Kelley and Mendoza feel "safer" as long as you execute and convince them through your words and actions that you're actually serious and interested. If you were serious and interested, there's probably scholarship potential there. On the flip-side, if they were convinced that you were treating them as safeties, there's a scenario in which one or both might waitlist you to see if you're actually serious (in order to protect their yield). Either way, nothing is ever truly safe, and your application quality is directly correlated not only with admissions chances, but also with scholarship chances, so give every school you apply to your very best.

WORK EXPERIENCE

A final note (which influences the opinions above and could be a somewhat limiting factor) is that you're basically in the first year where you are going to be reasonably considered by top programs, particularly T15s, and in some cases you're even a little shy of that. Kellogg's middle 80% range for post-college work experience is 3.5 to 7.0 years at enrollment, and you'd presumably have only 3.0. Among other T15s, you'll often see ranges of 3.0 to 7.0 or 8.0 years depending on the program. So you will definitely be up against others with similar stats and experiences who have more professional / personal / leadership experiences to draw upon.

A good number of people apply at your career juncture, but in my experience, if they are from a neutral or overrepresented applicant pool, they are almost always leaving rankings upside on the table when they do so, and they would have a higher probability of faring better relative to applying one or two years later, when they'd be inside the proper work experience range and right at or around the class average. Again, using Kellogg as an example, you're below the 10th percentile in terms of work experience. For others, you'd be sort of right at the 10th percentile. And I know that these profile review requests are brief, but on its face I'm not sure what the "pop" would be for the more elite of these schools would be to take you over many others with 720s and good GPAs who have one or two more years of seasoning, and have thus had more leadership experience, promos, and impact.

FREE CONSULTATION

But as always, I am sure there is more to your story and more potential differentiation than meets the eye in such a short description and profile post. If you would like to connect to share more and hear more about how I'd approach all of the above (and ask more questions), please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. I'd also love to understand more about how the Darden Future Scholars admit factors into your thinking.

Thanks!
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 11:20
Thank you so much for your analysis! Since I have received admission to Darden, I have decided to not target to many other schools in 10-20 range. My thought process being that I would try for 2 reach schools since I already have Darden as an option. I have added Kelley or Mendoza as a option in the midwest where I could potentially receive larger scholarships.

I haven't decided if I will be working with an admis consultant yet, but if I do I will definitely keep you in mind. Thank you!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 15:24
Thank you, jomregan. My pleasure. That makes good sense with respect to Darden, and from a school tiering perspective, I suspected that might be the case. I would be more than happy to chat any time (and even share my thoughts on what to look for, what to watch out for, and how to make the best potential use of a consultant in this process and in context of what exactly your needs are. So please feel free to reach out at any time and whenever suits you best. Best of luck until then, and I hope we have the opportunity to connect in the future!

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Requesti - 25 yr old US Male w/ 720 gmat   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2020, 15:24

Profile Evaluation Requesti - 25 yr old US Male w/ 720 gmat

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep