GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Rotman MBA & Oxford Said MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Profile Evaluation - Rotman MBA & Oxford Said MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 08:57
Indian Male

2012-2013
Diploma in Economics - Distinction - London School of Economics (London, UK)

2012-2016
BBA (Finance) - GPA 3.99/4 - Distinction - Hult International Business School (Boston,USA; San Francisco, USA; Shanghai, China; Dubai, UAE)
Valedictorian/Dean's List for 6 continuous terms/On boards of Hult Consulting and Finance Clubs
Interned at a Consulting firm in Boston & at an Asset Management Firm in London

GMAT: 720 (Q49/V39)

Work Experience:

2013-2015
BAT Team Leader
Bloomberg L.P. (London, UK)
Led the EMEA BAT Analytics Team.

2015-2017
Senior Associate Consultant
TISX Global (Boutique Financial Consulting) (Mumbai, India)
Strategy Consulting for SMEs.

2017-2020
Lead Principle - M&A, ECM
TISX Global (Boutique Financial Consulting) (Kolkata, India)
Led M&A and ECM assignments amounting to INR 1.73 Billion.

Target Post Rotman/Said:
Investment Banking or Asset Management (Impact Investing/Real Estate)

Have seen several application with GMAT scores over 720 being rejected by Rotman & Said. What are my chances?
Also, what about the "fit" in terms of what Rotman & Said require of its students/applicants?

My motivations for Rotman - Right in the centre of the Canadian financial services industry. Easy immigration policies of Canada. Top tier 2 year MBA in Canada. Have already attended a couple of classes by Rotman faculty at Hult, and they were impressive. CDL as well, is an amazing opportunity.
My motivations for Said - Couple of really close friends over there who gave amazing reviews. Love the opportunity to belong to a college as well as the business school. The Oxford setting is lovely, love the regatta. The name recognition of Oxford.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation - Rotman MBA & Oxford Said MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2020, 13:48
Hi mjaininc,

Thank you for your post. I think that your profile and situation strike at the heart of the "challenges and opportunities" of the MBA application process and competitive landscape. Put another way, you have some good things going for you, but at the same time, you are applying from a very crowded and competitive demographic, and into an environment that has made / might continue to make schools like this increasingly competitive. Moreover, applicants with profiles and stats similar to yours can experience a wide range of outcomes at schools like the ones you've listed, which means that application execution is going to be hugely important for you. (It is for everyone, but I would argue it's even more important in cases like this.)

That means telling your unique personal story, unpacking the value of your experiences, articulating super specific goals, articulating a super specific "why MBA" and "why XYZ school" (what knowledge, skills, and experience you already have that are relevant to your goals; what knowledge, skills, and experience you are missing; and how exactly you'd acquire them through the programs to which you are applying), and weaving all of this into differentiated essays, resumes, recommendations, applications, and interviews. You can read more about how to think about certain of these cornerstone application elements here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process.

Hult has a bit of a two-way reputation, but your academic performance and the fact that you were able to acquire a lot of international experience, including through internships and at LSE, should help you differentiate yourself. But as alluded to in the previous paragraph, the degree to which it helps you is incumbent upon how you reflect on those experiences, authentically share the growth and failures and widening of perspective, articulate how the experience might have shaped you personally and professionally, etc. You and your recommenders should be equally thoughtful and specific about your goals, your motivations, your passion and purpose, and the program offerings and culture and community of each school, including how you believe you can uniquely and specifically contribute to (and fit with) each.

Rotman has seen a lot of new applicants from abroad (particularly India) in recent years as U.S. immigration and visa prospects have pushed some folks away from U.S. programs, and the COVID situation in the U.S. could very well drive even more would-be international applicants to U.S. programs to look at Canadian and European programs instead. That remains to be seen, but unfortunately I would say that these types of trends will make things a bit more difficult for you. Your GMAT is about 50 points above average for Rotman and 30 points above average for Oxford, which I'd consider a small plus for Rotman and neutral or just below for Oxford (in context of demographic considerations). In summary, I think that these schools will be hard but that you can be competitive. How competitive depends on the strength of your application execution. (And if you're thinking more broadly, you might consider widening out your application strategy beyond only two schools.)

If you would like to further this conversation, please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Thanks!
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - Rotman MBA & Oxford Said MBA   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2020, 13:48

Profile Evaluation - Rotman MBA & Oxford Said MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep