GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2020, 01:22
Hello!

Please do help evaluate my profile

Colleges: Imperial, Oxford, RSM, IESE and US colleges like Kenan Flagler, Marshall, McCombs, Tepper

Demographic and other details: Indian female, 23 years old

Undergraduate degree: BA Philosophy from University of Delhi (class of 2018)
Extracurricular: President of debating society with over 18 awards, Member of Women's Development Cell and the Student Council for a year.
Social service: Teaching underprivileged kids and content writing for a NGO working on CSA and menstrual awareness

GMAT: 720

Work experience: 2+ years at the time of applying and 3+ years at the time of joining

Business Development Associate at Bridge Impact (start up working in the CSR space trying to integrate tech for better transparency) - Jul 2018 to Sep 2018

Analyst (South Asia and Middle East) at Third Bridge - Oct 2018 to Jan 2020
Associate (South Asia and Middle East) at Third Bridge - Jan 2020 to Apr 2020
Client Associate (South Asia and Middle East) at Third Bridge - May 2020 to present

Third Bridge is a research firm working with top investment and consulting companies. My current role includes client relationship management, account management and I have worked with major investment and consulting companies with teams based in India and Middle East. I supervise 2 people under me.
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)
Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2020, 03:52
Hi Sprihasakshi
You have got a great profile there! And 720 is a really good score for SAID.
Said (Oxford) is a great school for candidates who are looking for a future in consulting, tech and social impact.

SAID evaluates the candidates on the basis of -
1. Strong professional experience: For being a part of the MBA family at Oxford, one needs a robust work experience which must exhibit exceptional maturity and powerful leadership.

2. Multi cultural Background: One must have an international exposure in one's work with an awareness of different cultures and this quality is exemplified by the mix of its MBA class.

3. Strong Academics: Strong grades shows the candidate’s capability of thriving in the rigorous MBA programme and a robust gmat/gre score exemplifies the quantitative and analytical skills in an aspirant.

4. Insightful Contribution: One must be able to exhibit bold and insightful contributions in the work with evidence of career progressions.
Oxford attributes great importance to the professional experience and thus you must exemplify all the above qualities in your work.

Looking at your profile I can see the international exposure in your work and your extracurriculars demonstrate the leadership qualities in you but since these are a little outdated I would like to know more about your work, the impact you have made, the titles you have won. Your work ex is less than the usual experience at SAID (average is 5 years), but that shouldn't stop you from taking a shot as long as you can bring out spectacular examples from your experience.

Also, I would like to know your career goals and post MBA goals to be able to connect the dots between the professional experience you already gained and your career plans, as you would clearly need to explain how Oxford is a right fit to your goals. If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail.
Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

Sprihasakshi wrote:
Hello!

Please do help evaluate my profile

Colleges: Imperial, Oxford, RSM, IESE and US colleges like Kenan Flagler, Marshall, McCombs, Tepper

Demographic and other details: Indian female, 23 years old

Undergraduate degree: BA Philosophy from University of Delhi (class of 2018)
Extracurricular: President of debating society with over 18 awards, Member of Women's Development Cell and the Student Council for a year.
Social service: Teaching underprivileged kids and content writing for a NGO working on CSA and menstrual awareness

GMAT: 720

Work experience: 2+ years at the time of applying and 3+ years at the time of joining

Business Development Associate at Bridge Impact (start up working in the CSR space trying to integrate tech for better transparency) - Jul 2018 to Sep 2018

Analyst (South Asia and Middle East) at Third Bridge - Oct 2018 to Jan 2020
Associate (South Asia and Middle East) at Third Bridge - Jan 2020 to Apr 2020
Client Associate (South Asia and Middle East) at Third Bridge - May 2020 to present

Third Bridge is a research firm working with top investment and consulting companies. My current role includes client relationship management, account management and I have worked with major investment and consulting companies with teams based in India and Middle East. I supervise 2 people under me.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2020, 18:54
I am a Singaporean Chinese, graduated from a local university (which ranks well on international lists) in Business, majoring in Finance in end-2017. Worked for 2 years at an investment banking/equity capital markets boutique doing small deals and corporate finance advisory. Moved to commercial deal team in a large state-owned enterprise shortly after receiving a promotion, focusing on sustainable energy solutions.

My main issues are a low undergraduate GPA and lack of extracurriculars.

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:
My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in Europe on Erasmus. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into strategy consulting to earn my chops; and 3. hopefully continue developing in the sustainable energy space in the future after.

Why I want one now:
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility given my background.
There's 1 year 10 months of mandatory military service in Singapore (at 19), which explains the age/work experience I have today (3.5 years post-Bachelor's at point of matriculation for the September 2021 intake). From a practical standpoint, it's when I have the least opportunity cost to pursue a full-time MBA while also meeting the minimum work requirements to make a competitive application.

Background
Work experience:
2 years 2 months in a no-name equity capital markets boutique. Promoted at the end of the second year.
Started working at a state-owned enterprise from end-February (annual revenue US$3 bn), on a deal desk that has an international focus (especially China) in sustainable energy solutions and investments.
Will reach a cumulative >3.5 years of experience in time for matriculation for September 2021.

Extra curriculars and other experience:
Minimal. School athlete in running before age 19.

Undergrad school/major:
Singapore university with decent international rankings (NTU/NUS), Bachelor in Business (major in Finance).

Other education/coursework:
Passed CFA Level 1. Took a bunch of online courses in Python and SQL.

Race/nationality: Singaporean Chinese.
Sex: Male.

Stats
GMAT Score: [Online] 720 (Q49, V38, IR7)
Undergrad GPA: 3.90/5.00 (3.12/4.0; 2:2)
Yale Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests
Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jul 2020, 00:52
Hi, Request a profile evaluation for Said Business School.

Indian male, 28, GMAT 740, Computer Engineer - Top 25 Univ. (72/100 - 4.00 as per GMAC)
Experience: 6.5 yrs work-ex across Social Impact Consulting (3 years - org. has many Oxford alum and interns who come here), Non - profit research and software development
Currently: leading and mentoring a 5 member team in one of India's largest Social Impact Consulting firm - Engagement Manager: managing a 30million P&L, 20million sales GTM strategy. 2 promotions in 2.5 years - advice CXOs of large corporations, NGOs and multilateral orgs. on social sector strategy and advisory using research and data (think the application of machine learning on primary datasets)

In the current role:
1. Enabled Google to understand the Impact of its AI-powered mobile app to improve reading fluency of 1million kids across India - designed implementation strategy to scale impact from 9+ countries to 189 countries impacting 20million+ kids:
2. Helping Microsoft design its long term CSR strategy in India: impacting >1million youth
3. Impacting >10million people across India through strategic advisory support to CXOs of some of the largest social Impact programs of the world

Previously:
Grassroot Research at one of the world’s premier education non-profit
1. Enabled education policy level changes across 2 Indian states impacting >10million school going kid - Researched across 23 Indian states: remote rural locations: liaison with Central and state govt. enabling policy level changes
2. Managed world’s largest citizen-led student assessment in two Indian states: managing > 3000 volunteers

Strategic Advisory to a small non-profit
1. Designed, implemented and scaled a Design Thinking program to impact 10,000+ school students across 179 Indian schools - the program now scaling to over 600 schools across an Indian state - still using the strategy and models I developed for expansion
2. Enabling the migration of a unique teacher development program to a tech platform - acting as a product manager for the same

Software Developer for a year

Extracurricular
1. Developed a participatory policy-making software platform - selected as a semi-finalist at ASEM (ASEAN + Europe: 52 country-wide) stage
2. Two national finalist positions ( Top 20 in >100,000 participants)
3. Invited delegate- two global forums (among 250/5000 participants from 175 nationalities)
4. Youngest Invited speaker to India's largest Social Innovation Forum - presented a unique approach to social impact program implementation - whitepaper written on it by me will be out soon
5. Guest Faculty to 2 Top Indian MBA colleges - lecture Public sector leaders on strategic Social Impact
6. Mentor to 7 IIM students and CEO of a small NGO running innovative schools impacting 40,000+ students
7. Developed an emotion-based media player as a college major project - liquidated the same to a tech startup

Career motivation: traveled across the country for grassroots research and understood that the problem I want to solve is that of education and skilling. Background in computer science and the emergence of data science provided the sweet spot to work at the intersection of technology being adaptive to a user's education and skilling needs.

Short term goals: Want to enter the product management space as an AI product manager (already have developed and envisaged multiple tech products as mentioned above) to understand how tech products as envisaged - developed - marketed to impact at a global stage.

Long term: want to develop my own product that would work at an intersection of tech - education and skilling to create an impact in India and Africa.

Please comment on my chances at Oxford and a possibility of $$. Also, please suggest ways in which the odds for the same could be improved?

Many Thanks!

Originally posted by neo92 on 08 Jul 2020, 19:59.
Last edited by neo92 on 09 Jul 2020, 00:52, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 00:35
Hi zedeffwu,

You have got a great profile there! Oxford is a great school for people seeking a career leap and international exposure, as in your case. You have to exemplify these qualities in your profile to have a chance at SAID:
1. Strong professional experience
2. Global Exposure
3. Strong academics
4. Insightful contribution in work

You have scored great acads for Oxford, your professional experience is pretty much fine and your GMAT (720( is well above average for SAID. Additionally, you only need to highlight stories of your contributions and impact in your application which you easily can, since you got a promotion and that can speak for it. You could also emphasize on ‘sustainable energy’ to bring out more impact in your profile. I am sure you would have ample examples of that.

About global exposure, you only need to highlight how globally aware you are and if you can work in a multicultural setting. I believe you can easily exemplify this by the deal desk that has an international focus (especially China) in sustainable energy solutions and investments.
.And the fact that one reason for your pursuing MBA is to get that international mobility is pretty much reasonable, and if you are able to justify how SAID can help you fill this gap in your profile with the right stories then the admission committee may understand your point.

Yes, your extracurriculars are low and I would suggest you to start doing something more outside your work (anything that you like: meetups, community service, enlightening kids about sustainable energy) since this is the most you can do now.

Also, your post MBA goals sound pretty reasonable and what’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool. If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

zedeffwu wrote:
I am a Singaporean Chinese, graduated from a local university (which ranks well on international lists) in Business, majoring in Finance in end-2017. Worked for 2 years at an investment banking/equity capital markets boutique doing small deals and corporate finance advisory. Moved to commercial deal team in a large state-owned enterprise shortly after receiving a promotion, focusing on sustainable energy solutions.

My main issues are a low undergraduate GPA and lack of extracurriculars.

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:
My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in Europe on Erasmus. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into strategy consulting to earn my chops; and 3. hopefully continue developing in the sustainable energy space in the future after.

Why I want one now:
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility given my background.
There's 1 year 10 months of mandatory military service in Singapore (at 19), which explains the age/work experience I have today (3.5 years post-Bachelor's at point of matriculation for the September 2021 intake). From a practical standpoint, it's when I have the least opportunity cost to pursue a full-time MBA while also meeting the minimum work requirements to make a competitive application.

Background
Work experience:
2 years 2 months in a no-name equity capital markets boutique. Promoted at the end of the second year.
Started working at a state-owned enterprise from end-February (annual revenue US$3 bn), on a deal desk that has an international focus (especially China) in sustainable energy solutions and investments.
Will reach a cumulative >3.5 years of experience in time for matriculation for September 2021.

Minimal. School athlete in running before age 19.

Undergrad school/major:
Singapore university with decent international rankings (NTU/NUS), Bachelor in Business (major in Finance).

Other education/coursework:
Passed CFA Level 1. Took a bunch of online courses in Python and SQL.

Race/nationality: Singaporean Chinese.

Stats
GMAT Score: [Online] 720 (Q49, V38, IR7)
Undergrad GPA: 3.90/5.00 (3.12/4.0; 2:2)
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 00:47
Hi neo92,

You have got one amazing profile there! Said is a great school in both the fields- social impact and tech and thus would be very relevant to your career goals. It particularly evaluates the candidates on four qualities:
Strong Professional Experience
Global Outlook
Strong Academics
Impact

I see all the 4 in your profile. A GMAT of 740 is well above average for Said, and over that you have a great academic record. I think your professional experience and your extracurriculars already speaks more than enough about your impact on the community and in work plus such an international exposure is an icing on the cake. Your goals are also very relevant to your past experiences and so it would not be difficult to align your fitness to school. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.
I believe yours would make a great scholarship application too. Have a look at the scholarships available for SAID here : https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/oxford-experie ... nd-funding and see which one would make most sense for your profile.

Also, I would advise you to take your chance at some other great schools too like the trio of HSW, Insead. If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

neo92 wrote:

Indian male, 28, GMAT 740, Computer Engineer - Top 25 Univ. (72/100 - 4.00 as per GMAC)
Experience: 6.5 yrs work-ex across Social Impact Consulting (3 years - org. has many Oxford alum and interns who come here), Non - profit research and software development
Currently: leading and mentoring a 5 member team in one of India's largest Social Impact Consulting firm - Engagement Manager: managing a 30million P&L, 20million sales GTM strategy. 2 promotions in 2.5 years - advice CXOs of large corporations, NGOs and multilateral orgs. on social sector strategy and advisory using research and data (think the application of machine learning on primary datasets)

In the current role:
1. Enabled Google to understand the Impact of its AI-powered mobile app to improve reading fluency of 1million kids across India - designed implementation strategy to scale impact from 9+ countries to 189 countries impacting 20million+ kids:
2. Helping Microsoft design its long term CSR strategy in India: impacting >1million youth
3. Impacting >10million people across India through strategic advisory support to CXOs of some of the largest social Impact programs of the world

Previously:
1. Enabled education policy level changes across 2 Indian states impacting >10million school going kid - Researched across 23 Indian states: remote rural locations: liaison with Central and state govt. enabling policy level changes
2. Managed world’s largest citizen-led student assessment in two Indian states: managing > 3000 volunteers

1. Designed, implemented and scaled a Design Thinking program to impact 10,000+ school students across 179 Indian schools - the program now scaling to over 600 schools across an Indian state - still using the strategy and models I developed for expansion
2. Enabling the migration of a unique teacher development program to a tech platform - acting as a product manager for the same

Extracurricular
1. Developed a participatory policy-making software platform - selected as a semi-finalist at ASEM (ASEAN + Europe: 52 country-wide) stage
3. Invited delegate- two global forums (among 250/5000 participants from 175 nationalities)
4. Youngest Invited speaker to India's largest Social Innovation Forum - presented a unique approach to social impact program implementation - whitepaper written on it by me will be out soon
5. Guest Faculty to 2 Top Indian MBA colleges - lecture Public sector leaders on strategic Social Impact
6. Mentor to 7 IIM students and CEO of a small NGO running innovative schools impacting 40,000+ students
7. Developed an emotion-based media player as a college major project - liquidated the same to a tech startup

Career motivation: traveled across the country for grassroots research and understood that the problem I want to solve is that of education and killing. Background in computer science and the emergence of data science provided the sweet spot to work at the intersection of technology being adaptive to a user's education and killing needs.

Short term goals: Want to enter the product management space as an AI product manager (already have developed and envisaged multiple tech products as mentioned above) to understand how tech products as envisaged - developed - marketed to impact at a global stage.

Long term: want to develop my own product that would work at an intersection of tech - education and killing to create an impact in India and Africa.

Please comment on my chances at Oxford and a possibility of $$. Also, please suggest ways in which the odds for the same could be improved?

Many Thanks!
Yale Moderator
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2020, 05:16
MBAnBConsulting wrote:
Hi neo92,

You have got one amazing profile there! Said is a great school in both the fields- social impact and tech and thus would be very relevant to your career goals. It particularly evaluates the candidates on four qualities:
Global Outlook
Strong Academics
Impact

I see all the 4 in your profile. A GMAT of 740 is well above average for Said, and over that you have a great academic record. I think your professional experience and your extracurriculars already speaks more than enough about your impact on the community and in work plus such an international exposure is an icing on the cake. Your goals are also very relevant to your past experiences and so it would not be difficult to align your fitness to school. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.
I believe yours would make a great scholarship application too. Have a look at the scholarships available for SAID here : https://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/oxford-experie ... nd-funding and see which one would make most sense for your profile.

Also, I would advise you to take your chance at some other great schools too like the trio of HSW, Insead. If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

neo92 wrote:

In the current role:

Previously:

Extracurricular

Career motivation: traveled across the country for grassroots research and understood that the problem I want to solve is that of education and killing. Background in computer science and the emergence of data science provided the sweet spot to work at the intersection of technology being adaptive to a user's education and killing needs.

Long term: want to develop my own product that would work at an intersection of tech - education and killing to create an impact in India and Africa.

Many Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words, Shantanu. At the moment I am looking at applying to INSEAD and Said, outside the two-year Program in the US. I am a little skeptical of INSEAD enabling the kind of tech-pivot that I envisage post-MBA. Perhaps, will post my profile in the INSEAD forum for an evaluation there.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2020, 15:12
Background:
I was born in Malaysia, but I lived and did my early education in Brunei Darussalam. At the age of 16, I left to pursue my Pre-University course and, afterwards, my degree in Malaysia (living there independently for a total of 4 years). After the completion of my degree, I went on to pursue a MSc in Management program at SMU (Singapore), and have been living and working there ever since (for a total of 5 years).

Is it possible to count this as having international experience? (15 years Brunei, 4 years Malaysia, 5 years Singapore)

Race/nationality: Malaysian Chinese.

Stats
GMAT Score: 720 (Q48, V40, IR6)

Undergrad cGPA: 3.8/4.0 (First-Class, BSc Business Management) (Scholarship holder - around 40%)
A dual degree program with a top 10 UK University, but the degree is done entirely in the Malaysian campus. Will this affect anything?

Masters cGPA: 3.82 (Summa Cum Laude (Highest Distinction), MSc Management (Finance conc.) (Scholarship holder - around 50%+)

Before age of 18: Gold Medalist and Bronze Medalist for Brunei Taekwondo Championship (tournaments held among all Taekwondo associations in the country)
During Undergrad: Not much, joined and participated in a few investment-related societies and became a student ambassador.

Work experience:
Around 3.5 years of Commercial Banking for a regional bank.

Why I want an MBA:
I realize this part is extremely important, but I am not too clear-cut on my reasons yet and I definitely need to refine it before admission. Roughly speaking, I would like to use the MBA as a way to transition into corporate banking at a BB.

Thank you for the profile review, I really do appreciate your help.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2020, 19:44
Hi, myriad123123

You have got one great profile. First, about your international experience, having lived in three different countries can definitely bring out great stories but they all are South-east nations and so, if seen from a global point of view it does not comprise much of an ‘international experience’ but then as I said you can bring interesting stories of living in an island country and then other 2 countries which can also exemplify some interesting and unique aspects of your personality.

Now, your academics and stats are really impressive. Your undergrad and grad scores are much above the average of Said and it’s really great that you have been a scholar in both the stages. Now, about your extracurriculars, they seem really appealing. You have been a national champion and it will bring interesting stories on the table. Also, I must advise you to not sell yourself short. If you have participated in investment-related stuff, it firstly is aligned with your work ex and future goals and second, it can tell the adcoms a lot about you. So, do not hesitate in putting this out to adcoms.

In addition to strong academics, Oxford looks for ambitious and clear-headed people. With a score of 720, you've got a fair chance to make it to Said as long as you highlight the following in your application:
Multicultural Background
Impact

It’s a bit difficult to evaluate further since you have not provided many details of your work experience. About your goals, they seem aligned with your prior experience but you need to do more soul-searching to make it more concrete and aligning it with Oxford. Also, seeing your stats, I believe you stand a great chance to other good b-schools too. If you’d like we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to have a good discussion about your chances at Oxford and other schools.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

myriad123123 wrote:
Background:
I was born in Malaysia, but I lived and did my early education in Brunei Darussalam. At the age of 16, I left to pursue my Pre-University course and, afterwards, my degree in Malaysia (living there independently for a total of 4 years). After the completion of my degree, I went on to pursue a MSc in Management program at SMU (Singapore), and have been living and working there ever since (for a total of 5 years).

Is it possible to count this as having international experience? (15 years Brunei, 4 years Malaysia, 5 years Singapore)

Race/nationality: Malaysian Chinese.

Stats
GMAT Score: 720 (Q48, V40, IR6)

Undergrad cGPA: 3.8/4.0 (First-Class, BSc Business Management) (Scholarship holder - around 40%)
A dual degree program with a top 10 UK University, but the degree is done entirely in the Malaysian campus. Will this affect anything?

Masters cGPA: 3.82 (Summa Cum Laude (Highest Distinction), MSc Management (Finance conc.) (Scholarship holder - around 50%+)

Before age of 18: Gold Medalist and Bronze Medalist for Brunei Taekwondo Championship (tournaments held among all Taekwondo associations in the country)
During Undergrad: Not much, joined and participated in a few investment-related societies and became a student ambassador.

Work experience:
Around 3.5 years of Commercial Banking for a regional bank.

Why I want an MBA:
I realize this part is extremely important, but I am not too clear-cut on my reasons yet and I definitely need to refine it before admission. Roughly speaking, I would like to use the MBA as a way to transition into corporate banking at a BB.

Thank you for the profile review, I really do appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2020, 10:26
Hi,

I am a computer science engineering male graduate from India passed out in 2015.
Currently, I am working in a Multi-National Corporation as a Technology Consultant.

Here are my acads -

1. 10th - 84%
2. 12th - 67%
3. B.Tech (Computer Science) - 7.65

Total work experience is 5 years as BPM consultant, worked in different cities in India with different cultures.

Extra curricular -

1. 3rd position holder in District Swimming Competition.
2. Participated in numerous science aptitudes
3. Volunteered for Fire Safety Response Team in Office and received certification
4. Show cased GPS tracking android app in College Industrial Training.
5. As part Corporate Social Responsibility team, taught general mathematics to children in rural areas on weekends.

Currently, I am preparing for GMAT.
Please advise if my profile can get selected for MBA in LBS, Oxford, Cambridge.
If yes, what will be the best GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2020, 13:25
Hi sayantanm14

I just replied to you on Cambridge (Judge's) profile evaluation thread too.
I'd like to reiterate that It's really difficult to evaluate your profile based on the limited details you shared in your profile description.
I would love to do a valuable analysis for you, but for that I would need you to share a little more about your work experience (Think examples of leadership, decision making, promotions, achievements).

I advise you to understand what SAID looks for in a candidate in order to get some perspective about the examples that you could share for a good profile evaluation.

Happy to evaluate once you share more details. Alternately, if you’d like I am also happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your profile in further detail. Feel free to book his calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin
sayantanm14 wrote:
Hi,

I am a computer science engineering male graduate from India passed out in 2015.
Currently, I am working in a Multi-National Corporation as a Technology Consultant.

Here are my acads -

1. 10th - 84%
2. 12th - 67%
3. B.Tech (Computer Science) - 7.65

Total work experience is 5 years as BPM consultant, worked in different cities in India with different cultures.

Extra curricular -

1. 3rd position holder in District Swimming Competition.
2. Participated in numerous science aptitudes
3. Volunteered for Fire Safety Response Team in Office and received certification
4. Show cased GPS tracking android app in College Industrial Training.
5. As part Corporate Social Responsibility team, taught general mathematics to children in rural areas on weekends.

Currently, I am preparing for GMAT.
Please advise if my profile can get selected for MBA in LBS, Oxford, Cambridge.
If yes, what will be the best GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2020, 21:53
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for your kind response.
I would like to go in-depth regarding my professional area.
As part of my 5 year corporate experience, I have received two awards for going beyond job responsibilities and three promotions which indicates my professionalism and commitment towards my job responsibilities.

As leadership capabilities, I have led a team of four members and carried out two international projects by directly involving with clients who are sitting in different geographies. This involves intense requirement analysis and providing the best solution as per client needs. Also, I have received numerous client appreciation for the dedication towards delivering emergency deliveries even on holidays.
These client meeting over Skype and WebEx, involves lots and lots of brain storming under heavy pressure for on or before time deliveries.

Because of the habit of taking responsibilities, I have been marked as a critical resource from my project management office.

Now coming to my personal area,
I am a traveler in nature. In my leisure times, I did a lot of road trips in different parts of India. Also, places with historical interests creates curiosity in my mind and I tends to follow them. Exploring different cultures, interacting with people from different regions and knowing their culture has been one of my core interests.
In addition to this, because of this habit of exploring different cultures, I have been learning Spanish language on an mobile app as part time thing.

Other than travelling, I am a big enthusiast for technology. As a gadget freak, I have installed many smart home devices in home which are being operated directly using voice commands through Google Home app.

Also, as a machine lover, I have an intense love for laptops and desktops. I have two laptops and a desktop in my home. I maintain these machines on my own. Maintenance includes, upgrading some component or cleaning dusts in fans and heat sinks.

Other than this, I also have keen interests in space techs. As a fan of Elon Musk, I am amazed with his idea for starting water cycle in Mars. The depth and clear thinking of SpaceX CEO is just inspiring.

These are some in-depth professional and personal sides of my profile.

Please evaluate and let me know.

Thanks,
Sayantan
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 03:10
Hi sayantanm14,

Thanks for sharing such a detailed profile and giving us an opportunity to evaluate the same.

Let's go step-by-step:
1. I can clearly see good examples of powerful leadership, diverse multicultural experience along with insightful amd bold contributions which clearly showcase great career progression, an aspect that SAID greatly values.

2. Having received two awards for going beyond job responsibilities and three promotions plus getting marked as a critical resource definitely shows that you are already above average employee in your workplace, which in turn can help you make your application weigh heavier than others in the pool.

3. Your personal areas of interest also highlight your hunger for knowledge, and if you could bring out some examples that would show some impact through this trait of yours, then that would be just wonderful.

With all of the above, I see a good chance for you to make it to Said. That said, Oxford is exceptionally concerned with ‘fit’, so be sure to have solid reasons for wanting to be a part of this beautiful community. To give it a better structure, start with listing down the gaps you think you have in your profile that an MBA from SAID will help you fill and have a 'how' answered for each gap.

On a side note, SAID is particularly interested in candidates who have brought some social impact, or let's say candidates who think beyond themselves in their lives. So, if you could also bring out any examples of the same, then you have a fair chance to make it to this amazing school. As for GMAT, the median GMAT for the 2019-20 class is 690. I would suggest you must aim for 700+. SAID (Oxford) also has its own assessment procedure to test your analytical skills, which means it would give less importance to GMAT compared to another school in the same league, since both the tests more or less serve a common purpose. Having said that, I believe a score of 700+ will definitely brighten your chances and you must shoot for it.
Eventually, what’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

May I ask which intake and round are you eyeing? And when is your GMAT due?

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

sayantanm14 wrote:
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for your kind response.
I would like to go in-depth regarding my professional area.
As part of my 5 year corporate experience, I have received two awards for going beyond job responsibilities and three promotions which indicates my professionalism and commitment towards my job responsibilities.

As leadership capabilities, I have led a team of four members and carried out two international projects by directly involving with clients who are sitting in different geographies. This involves intense requirement analysis and providing the best solution as per client needs. Also, I have received numerous client appreciation for the dedication towards delivering emergency deliveries even on holidays.
These client meeting over Skype and WebEx, involves lots and lots of brain storming under heavy pressure for on or before time deliveries.

Because of the habit of taking responsibilities, I have been marked as a critical resource from my project management office.

Now coming to my personal area,
I am a traveler in nature. In my leisure times, I did a lot of road trips in different parts of India. Also, places with historical interests creates curiosity in my mind and I tends to follow them. Exploring different cultures, interacting with people from different regions and knowing their culture has been one of my core interests.
In addition to this, because of this habit of exploring different cultures, I have been learning Spanish language on an mobile app as part time thing.

Other than travelling, I am a big enthusiast for technology. As a gadget freak, I have installed many smart home devices in home which are being operated directly using voice commands through Google Home app.

Also, as a machine lover, I have an intense love for laptops and desktops. I have two laptops and a desktop in my home. I maintain these machines on my own. Maintenance includes, upgrading some component or cleaning dusts in fans and heat sinks.

Other than this, I also have keen interests in space techs. As a fan of Elon Musk, I am amazed with his idea for starting water cycle in Mars. The depth and clear thinking of SpaceX CEO is just inspiring.

These are some in-depth professional and personal sides of my profile.

Please evaluate and let me know.

Thanks,
Sayantan
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 03:32
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for giving me some ray of hope.
I am planning my GMAT in October.

Surely, I will sit down and connect the dots for more good examples.

I am targeting LBS, Cambridge Judge and Said for 2021 intake. Mostly, 1 year MBA programs with top schools.
Also, if no offers from these schools, I will see ISB and IIMs for their one year executive MBA programs.

I don't know if I am running late for 2021 intake.

Also, please let me know TOEFL or IELTS is needed for me. If yes, which will be better for UK/ Europe region.

Regards,
Sayantan
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 04:36
sayantanm14,
Wish you all the best for your endeavors. LBS, Judge and Said are all great schools in Europe/UK. You could also look into IMD, HEC and INSEAD if they match your post-MBA goals too.
For TOEFL/IELTS, some schools don't need you to take the exam, if you can provide a written document from your school/college proving that the medium of instruction was English. So, I'd suggest that you check that out on the respective schools' website, and if you don't find it there, then drop them an email explaining your situation.

You still have time. The application for SAID will open on 1st August and the deadline for R1 is 11 September (if I remember it correctly). I suggest you focus on getting GMAT out of the way first :)

Cheers!
Shantanu
sayantanm14 wrote:
Hi MBAnBConsulting,

Thanks for giving me some ray of hope.
I am planning my GMAT in October.

Surely, I will sit down and connect the dots for more good examples.

I am targeting LBS, Cambridge Judge and Said for 2021 intake. Mostly, 1 year MBA programs with top schools.
Also, if no offers from these schools, I will see ISB and IIMs for their one year executive MBA programs.

I don't know if I am running late for 2021 intake.

Also, please let me know TOEFL or IELTS is needed for me. If yes, which will be better for UK/ Europe region.

Regards,
Sayantan
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.88
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2020, 23:23
Hi i need profile evaluation, can you please help

Name: Sarthak Gupta

GMAT score: Not yet attempted, targeting around 710
Graduation: Completed B.Tech (IT) in 2011, 67.0%
Post Graduation: PGPM in Finance- 2013, 7 CGPA
US-CPA certified (equivalent to India's CA)

I am an engineer who holds CA equivalent certificate and have been thoroughly involved in the field of Financial consultiing

Work Experience:
7 years of experience in the field of finance. In 7 years i have achieved 5 promotions.
I have 2 years of working experience with EY,
4 Years with Grant Thornton and currently working with Cohnrezinick LLP as Manager

Below is a brief about my job role:

Preparing and analyzing financial models involving multiple entities, currencies and geographies for providing financial insights.
Performing Financial due diligence and identifying adjustments from statements such as trial balance, audit and internals that impact EBITDA and Working capital.
Interacting with target management after understanding and drafting management questions, trending financial accounts and building various reports such as: CIM, Financial key notes, Financial due diligence report, Valuation report

Skills and accomplishment:
Awarded with Young Tirk (demonstrated entrepreneurial quality) for exceptional client service and converting a client billable from non recurring to recurring basis
Best employee award for Q4 2018
Spot award for best trainer in Q3 2019
Head of South US market
Optimized the Feedback process, aligning with the firm’s growth strategy
Training, mentoring and coaching seniors, associates and analyst on best practices and team integration
Good experience on working Data analytics tools such as Tableau and Altryx, which are demand of the future tools
I was also responsible for setting a new Pursuits service line practice in Grant Thornton (Secondary financial research department), the service line now has been generating revenue on recurring basis.
One of the founding members of Transaction advisory practice in both Grant Thornton and CohnReznick LLP in India

Extra curricular:
Participated in inter school badminton champion ship
2 years consecutively inter college basket ball tournament winner
Member of the student council during Graduation times

Post MBA : Want to work as an Investment or security analyst/consultant in Private Equity, Venture capitalist or Investment banking.
Second option would be transition into the Management consulting role
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2020, 20:13
Hi sarthaknash90

I think I have evaluated your profile for ISB and would love to evaluate for Oxford. Yours is a great profile. Let’s go step-by-step to have a detailed evaluation:

- Your stats are great and you have acquired quite a great knowledge of Finance. Your GMAT target seems great for Oxford (as it recommends 690+).

- Your work experience does justice with your qualifications. And I see you have a good knowledge of the international market, which you may highlight in your application. You have had a great impact on your work and received professional recognition for the same. What really impressed me is that you mentor even your seniors which exemplifies ‘leadership’ in you and you have taken many initiatives in the organizations you have been a part of. Overall, with this experience (and if presented greatly in essays), you have a great chance to even qualify for scholarships.

- Your extracurriculars are great and have clear career goals. You will be asked to detail your post-MBA career plans and demonstrate how the program will equip you with the skills to reach these goals.

I must advise you to apply for schools like Insead and the trio of HSW (with a push of 15+ points in gmat). If you’d like we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
sarthaknash90 wrote:
Hi i need profile evaluation, can you please help

Name: Sarthak Gupta

GMAT score: Not yet attempted, targeting around 710
Graduation: Completed B.Tech (IT) in 2011, 67.0%
Post Graduation: PGPM in Finance- 2013, 7 CGPA
US-CPA certified (equivalent to India's CA)

I am an engineer who holds CA equivalent certificate and have been thoroughly involved in the field of Financial consultiing

Work Experience:
7 years of experience in the field of finance. In 7 years i have achieved 5 promotions.
I have 2 years of working experience with EY,
4 Years with Grant Thornton and currently working with Cohnrezinick LLP as Manager

Below is a brief about my job role:

Preparing and analyzing financial models involving multiple entities, currencies and geographies for providing financial insights.
Performing Financial due diligence and identifying adjustments from statements such as trial balance, audit and internals that impact EBITDA and Working capital.
Interacting with target management after understanding and drafting management questions, trending financial accounts and building various reports such as: CIM, Financial key notes, Financial due diligence report, Valuation report

Skills and accomplishment:
Awarded with Young Tirk (demonstrated entrepreneurial quality) for exceptional client service and converting a client billable from non recurring to recurring basis
Best employee award for Q4 2018
Spot award for best trainer in Q3 2019
Head of South US market
Optimized the Feedback process, aligning with the firm’s growth strategy
Training, mentoring and coaching seniors, associates and analyst on best practices and team integration
Good experience on working Data analytics tools such as Tableau and Altryx, which are demand of the future tools
I was also responsible for setting a new Pursuits service line practice in Grant Thornton (Secondary financial research department), the service line now has been generating revenue on recurring basis.
One of the founding members of Transaction advisory practice in both Grant Thornton and CohnReznick LLP in India

Extra curricular:
Participated in inter school badminton champion ship
2 years consecutively inter college basket ball tournament winner
Member of the student council during Graduation times

Post MBA : Want to work as an Investment or security analyst/consultant in Private Equity, Venture capitalist or Investment banking.
Second option would be transition into the Management consulting role
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.88
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2020, 20:51
Gmatcake wrote:
Kindly evaluate my profile:

Indian Male (31 year-old)

Undergraduate: Bachelor Of Engineering in "Computer Science" from Rajiv Gandhi Technological University.

UG Percentage: 67.8 (probably 7.1 on 10 point scale)

Job profile: 5-years(August,2014-present) as Credit Manager (Scale 2) at one of India's largest public sector bank-Bank Of India, to which I was selected through a national level competitive examination with a selection ratio of 1:200. Joined as Assistant Manager and promoted to manager in 2019 through a bank-wide written and interview competitive procedure. Currently, I am managing Credit portfolio in a branch of over INR 100 crores (approx. USD 14 Million). My work includes achieving credit targets of the branch, identification of borrowers, review of credit history, monitoring of proposals prepared by staff, supervision on disbursement of advance, monitoring of existing portfolio, managing and mentoring a team of 18 people (who are at various levels of organizational hierarchy), implementation of Government loan schemes. I have been instrumental in steering my present and earlier branch to highly profitable balance sheet through diversifying into a segment that was earlier playing a negligible role in branch's portfolio.

GMAT: 730 (Q51, V38, IR6, AWA 5).

Extracurricular:(1) During UG, I was part of the team that won National Level Paper Presentation Contest on "Re-Engineering vs Reverse Engineering".
(2) Multiple prizes in essay, sports, drama competitions during schooling.
(3) After UG, worked freelance to develop a local startup on WordPress web development which was a learning experience.
(4) During my present position, I have also been deputed as Presiding Officer for polling booths in National Election 2019 and MP State Election 2018. Duties included managing polling team of 6-10 people, more than 1100 voters and political party agents in a politically sensitive polling area while providing real-time polling statistics to Election Commission of India.

No international experience.

Post MBA: mainly Finance, Fintech or Consulting.

Thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2020, 23:03
sarthaknash90 wrote:
Gmatcake wrote:
Kindly evaluate my profile:

Indian Male (31 year-old)

Undergraduate: Bachelor Of Engineering in "Computer Science" from Rajiv Gandhi Technological University.

UG Percentage: 67.8 (probably 7.1 on 10 point scale)

Job profile: 5-years(August,2014-present) as Credit Manager (Scale 2) at one of India's largest public sector bank-Bank Of India, to which I was selected through a national level competitive examination with a selection ratio of 1:200. Joined as Assistant Manager and promoted to manager in 2019 through a bank-wide written and interview competitive procedure. Currently, I am managing Credit portfolio in a branch of over INR 100 crores (approx. USD 14 Million). My work includes achieving credit targets of the branch, identification of borrowers, review of credit history, monitoring of proposals prepared by staff, supervision on disbursement of advance, monitoring of existing portfolio, managing and mentoring a team of 18 people (who are at various levels of organizational hierarchy), implementation of Government loan schemes. I have been instrumental in steering my present and earlier branch to highly profitable balance sheet through diversifying into a segment that was earlier playing a negligible role in branch's portfolio.

GMAT: 730 (Q51, V38, IR6, AWA 5).

Extracurricular:(1) During UG, I was part of the team that won National Level Paper Presentation Contest on "Re-Engineering vs Reverse Engineering".
(2) Multiple prizes in essay, sports, drama competitions during schooling.
(3) After UG, worked freelance to develop a local startup on WordPress web development which was a learning experience.
(4) During my present position, I have also been deputed as Presiding Officer for polling booths in National Election 2019 and MP State Election 2018. Duties included managing polling team of 6-10 people, more than 1100 voters and political party agents in a politically sensitive polling area while providing real-time polling statistics to Election Commission of India.

No international experience.

Post MBA: mainly Finance, Fintech or Consulting.

Thanks in advance

Posted from my mobile device

Hi sarthaknash90,

Here's my take:

You have good experience overall. The PSU experience can be a differentiator if you leverage it well by showing your leadership skills in an environment where its difficult to bring change and where you have to lead without authority. While you have mentioned a lot of day to day responsibilities, the real achievement is in managing a neglected business line and making it profitable. More such achievements will add further to your profile. The other thing I like is that you lead a spectrum of people - now this can be challenging in a public bank, where you may also have to manage people 20+ years senior to you, teams working in silos, and get them to work with you on your growth agenda. So utilize such experiences in the building of a strong application.
Ultimately, your goals and why Oxford is the right fit for you will matter a great deal in the application. I am not convinced with consulting as a career goal when all your experience has been in a bank.
Your GMAT is great and will stand you in good stead at Oxford as well as any other MBA program where you apply.
There's something I like about your volunteering experience at the polling booths. Managing an Indian polling booth requires sensibility and sensitivity to say the least. That somehow also ties with your banking experience. A PSU bank has great diversity in its customer base and relationship/people management skills are definite requisite skills. The common thread will help you build a stronger case for your leadership skills. That said, manning polling booths is an occasional experience. It would be nice to be involved in an activity where your involvement is more frequent.
Feel free to reach out for a deeper profile evaluation.

MBA Decoder is a team of consultants from LBS, Stanford, Kellogg and INSEAD. Our applicants have studied at Wharton, Stanford, LBS, Kellogg, Tuck, INSEAD, ISB, to name a few. We specialize in building MBA/MS applications from scratch to finish.

Book a FREE profile evaluation with us OR write to us at: contact@mbadecoder.com
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2020, 04:04
Hi all
I would really appreciate if you could help me understand if I stand a chance of entering Oxford MBA

28 years old Indian
Xth: 93%, XIIth: 83%
B.Tech. from National Institute of Technology Allahabad (NIT Allahabad), GPA: 7.2/10 (2010-2014)
MBA from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (GPA: 2.8/4.33) (2016-2018)
CFA Level 3 cleared

Target schools: LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, HEC

Work Experience
Analyst, HSBC Investment Banking, India (2018-Present)
Worked with Managing Directors, Directors based in UK in transaction origination and transaction execution. Performed market and sector research for clients and highlighted key activities and trends. Analyzed business models, developed detailed business plan and 3-statement financial models. Hands-on experience with Leveraged Buyout (LBO), Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) and merger model. Prepared pitch books, IMs, RFPs, financial models and did intrinsic and relative valuation.

Closed £8bn of transactions for various global clients. Received recognition multiple times by senior leadership

Worked in London for 3 months to support transactions at advanced stage, coordinated with clients and other banks to close transactions

Samsung Research Institute, India (2014-2016)
Interacted regularly with world’s leading telecom operators to identify key business requirements and coordinated with Product Engineering team to implement them in the solution stack. Provided uninterrupted Service Management to see that all the services are always functional. Closely worked with third party network vendors to ensure seamless delivery of our solution stack

Achievements - Business travel to Taipei to oversee commercialization of Samsung Galaxy S6 for Taiwanese operators

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:

My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in London for HSBC. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into PE,VC /corporate M&A;

Why I want one now
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility

Awards
Top rated analyst (in the batch of 26 from best B-Schools of the country) at HSBC
National finalist in HSBC's case competition
Authored ‘Why Putin should move on’ for the February issue of IIM Rohtak’s finance magazine ‘FI’
Avid quizzer and chess player

Extra-curricular
Avid traveler, having visited 8 countries.
Passionate about EDM and attended 15+ concerts all across the globe

Application
I will apply during September or October (R1 or R2)
Career goals: Corporate strategy (Tech-focused), Corporate M&A, PE/VC

Originally posted by shreypankaj132 on 22 Jul 2020, 15:00.
Last edited by shreypankaj132 on 27 Jul 2020, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2020, 15:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 85 posts ] 

Oxford Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: nvdmurty, Gowtham91