Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile review [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You can absolutely use that work experience in your application. Given the more entrepreneurial and family business nature of this business you will just need to explain your involvement and experience a bit more than is typical for my more traditional employers. I would focus on conveying two thins in particular

1)Impact/ results
-Most important aspect of how schools will evaluate your work experience, so this should be super clear. Given this is a family business schools will have their antennas up to make sure you have a track record of driving result and impact

2)Interpersonal Skill Development
-MBA programs are all about leadership and teamwork, and they are laser focused on your experiences in this regard pre-matriculation, so you need to highlight your best experiences in this regard

So if you can materially showcase this while describing your work experience you should be in good shape
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Shubhamkesh wrote:
I have appeared for GMAT and got 740. There are few doubts in my mind. I am really seeking for an informative answer. To start with, I am sharing certain details below.

Work experience - I have started working with my father in our business. We basically have a shop registered in India since 1989 where we provide photocopy, laminating, binding solutions and we also trade in office stationery goods. I am working here since 2012. Presently we have almost 3 million Indian rupees as our revenue figure.

Education - BCom honours with 1st class from University of Burdwan, India.Presently CFA LEVEL 3 candidate.

Query - Can I use the above mentioned work experience as a valid work experience to apply for MBA in global b-schools? And from where I need to get LORs? I think I can't get it from my father, who is my on job supervisor.

Hi,
1) Your WE and other issues, articulated well, can really become your top strengths.
2) The way I see the main problem for you is to form your Post-MBA Goals and show the connection.

As already said, approach your big customers, preferably commercial enterprises for LORs. Is not as good as LORs from IBMs & Googles, but will nevertheless get you pass grade or better in that area.
GMAT Club Bot