GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 15:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review: 31M, 750 GMAT 3.0 GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q167 V165
GPA: 3.01
Profile Review: 31M, 750 GMAT 3.0 GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 12:29
Planning to apply this fall. Would appreciate any thoughts, tips you're willing to provide!

Work experience:
3.75 years working in social media strategy and analytics (think: media planning and buying, not so much content creation / community management) at an independent advertising agency (~100 employees) in Minneapolis; promoted four times during my time there, ultimately managing two assistant account executives

CURRENT: 1.5 years in digital marketing strategy/operations (non-management position) at a large integrated healthcare system based in the Midwest, playing a lead role in enterprise digital media planning/buying/analytics in social, display, direct, native, etc.

Extra curriculars:
Spent the last 1.25 years on the Programming Committee and Associate/Junior Board (~8 hours/week) of a prominent inner-city youth sports organization; will continue to participate for as long as I can (even during/after MBA) – truly value my time here and the opportunity to have an impact

During my time at the agency, I was selected/sponsored by agency to participate in a three-month-long national case study competition

During undergrad, I was one of five students selected to represent my university in the Public Relations Student Society of America’s Bateman Case Study Competition – a year-long, national case study competition in which student teams create and implement a full public relations campaign

Multi-year member of two different ad/PR student orgs

Undergrad school/major:
Big10, Journalism – with an emphasis on Strategic Communication (i.e. Advertising/PR)

Race/nationality:
White; born in Northern Ireland, primarily raised in US

Sex:
Male

Stats:

GRE Score:
332 – 167Q, 165V (according to ETS’s conversion tool, that would be a 750 GMAT - hence the headline)
Undergrad GPA:
3.0 – I understand this is something I’ll need to overcome (more on that below).

Goal of MBA:
Transition into the marketing practice group of a Big 4/T2 consulting firm

Target schools:

Northwestern, Dartmouth, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Cornell

Beyond my lower GPA, I have a checkered past academically. Due to lack of maturity more than anything else, I wasted my first two years post-high school bouncing out of a Pac12 party school and failing classes at a local community college. Then I enrolled in the Big10 school from which I graduated and began to take my academics more seriously. And since I’ve been in the workforce, I’ve been passionate and dedicated (which I hope is demonstrated by my history of promotions). Absolutely plan to address past failures in my essays and how I’ve benefitted from them.

Four big questions:

· Any thoughts on targets?

· Any guidance on framing up my lackluster academic history?

· Wondering about the value of completing MBAmath or HBX Core this fall to reinforce quant skills and demonstrate commitment?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Profile Review: 31M, 750 GMAT 3.0 GPA

new topic post reply Update application status