GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jul 2020, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review - Enroll in 2022 while being 30 y.o.?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review - Enroll in 2022 while being 30 y.o.?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 09:02
Hello,
A family situation may force me to enroll in 2022, thus I'd really appreciate your input regarding my profile. Thank you in advance!

• 28 y.o. Female from Southeast Asia (ASEAN countries)

• Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from the best engineering school in my country (Top 1%). GPA 3.33/4.00. Despite not having cum laude GPA, was selected to be university Valedictorian and spoke on student congregation.

• GMAT: No score yet. Practices 680-700. I think I may improve to 720.

• Work experience:
Always worked in top 100 multinational companies.
a. 8 months in top US FMCG company. Quality Assurance for 3 warehouses. Talent-scouted during undergrad.
b. 1.5 years in US oil giant. A female Field Leader in oil rigs, remote area (my crew size was 20-30 people). Led performance improvement programs. Got laid off during 2016 oil crisis.
c. 4 years in a top US utility engine manufacturer. 2 years spent on leadership development program, rotations to US HQ, selected for business exchange program to Paris. Off-program role in commercial bidding (more like Sales function). Received an award for closing a long-term deal. Twice invited to share best practices in Asia Pacific meetings.

• Extracurricular:
I was active in MUN, debate, and international conferences in undergrad. Now I volunteer through company-sponsored activities (teach English to street children). Occasionally conduct interview workshops and career sharing sessions to undergrads of my alma mater.

• Post-MBA goals:
Stay in Energy/Utilities/Renewable but move to strategy/investment roles; Consulting (either general ones or niche energy consulting); or pivot into Product Management roles in Tech giants/start ups.

• Target schools:
MIT, Yale, Duke, Cambridge, Oxford. I tailored this based on what is available in my government's scholarship list. Prefer East Coast and more experiential learning approach to case-heavy methods.

• Any specific questions you would like answered by our team:
I'm the breadwinner of my family and currently also funding my brother for medical residency, which is extended to end of 2021 due to COVID-19. My biggest worry is that I will be 30 y.o. with 8 years of work experience by the time I enroll in 2022, kinda old for a regular MBA. I'm still eyeing for 2021 enrollment but have to figure out a way to finance my family. I welcome any school suggestion as well. Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Review - Enroll in 2022 while being 30 y.o.?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 18:39
Hi mfr0503,
Thanks for reaching out to us. I see lots of strengths in your profile. On the academic side, your top ranking in an engineering program is great, and hopefully you can achieve a higher GMAT (agree with targeting 720/730) to round that out. Mostly what I find intriguing about your profile is your work experience, especially the experience working across different regions/markets, and leading good-sized teams in a male dominated industry. Do keep up the volunteer work until you apply, and possibly see if there are ways you can increase your leadership within those activities (organizing a fundraiser or training, serving on a committee, etc.)

Now to your main question, you are right that enrolling at age 30 is less common, but schools don't have a strict maximum. You'll find that the average is typically around 28 yo, but the range can be quite wide, as high as 39 at some programs. I have seen over 30 applicants be successful, including at some of the programs you are targeting. It sounds like you have very valid reasons for waiting and I think schools will admire your commitment to your family. As long as you can find a way to share that reasoning in your application materials when you apply, I think schools will understand. And as a side benefit, it will give you plenty of time to work on your GMAT! :)

Good luck to you and your family!
Kate

mfr0503 wrote:
Hello,
A family situation may force me to enroll in 2022, thus I'd really appreciate your input regarding my profile. Thank you in advance!

• 28 y.o. Female from Southeast Asia (ASEAN countries)

• Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from the best engineering school in my country (Top 1%). GPA 3.33/4.00. Despite not having cum laude GPA, was selected to be university Valedictorian and spoke on student congregation.

• GMAT: No score yet. Practices 680-700. I think I may improve to 720.

• Work experience:
Always worked in top 100 multinational companies.
a. 8 months in top US FMCG company. Quality Assurance for 3 warehouses. Talent-scouted during undergrad.
b. 1.5 years in US oil giant. A female Field Leader in oil rigs, remote area (my crew size was 20-30 people). Led performance improvement programs. Got laid off during 2016 oil crisis.
c. 4 years in a top US utility engine manufacturer. 2 years spent on leadership development program, rotations to US HQ, selected for business exchange program to Paris. Off-program role in commercial bidding (more like Sales function). Received an award for closing a long-term deal. Twice invited to share best practices in Asia Pacific meetings.

• Extracurricular:
I was active in MUN, debate, and international conferences in undergrad. Now I volunteer through company-sponsored activities (teach English to street children). Occasionally conduct interview workshops and career sharing sessions to undergrads of my alma mater.

• Post-MBA goals:
Stay in Energy/Utilities/Renewable but move to strategy/investment roles; Consulting (either general ones or niche energy consulting); or pivot into Product Management roles in Tech giants/start ups.

• Target schools:
MIT, Yale, Duke, Cambridge, Oxford. I tailored this based on what is available in my government's scholarship list. Prefer East Coast and more experiential learning approach to case-heavy methods.

• Any specific questions you would like answered by our team:
I'm the breadwinner of my family and currently also funding my brother for medical residency, which is extended to end of 2021 due to COVID-19. My biggest worry is that I will be 30 y.o. with 8 years of work experience by the time I enroll in 2022, kinda old for a regular MBA. I'm still eyeing for 2021 enrollment but have to figure out a way to finance my family. I welcome any school suggestion as well. Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.67
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 18:46
With that story and your accomplishments, schools will be competing against each other to have you in their program. Congratulations on all your success so far and I wish you the best moving forward. Much respect!
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review - Enroll in 2022 while being 30 y.o.?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 02:37
Hi mbaMissionKate and icanhazmba,

I didn't realize I could tap into my story to convince schools while being the older side of applicants.
Reading your replies is very encouraging, and I really appreciate your time to write this.
If I may have a follow up question (to you, or anyone reading this), do you think my school choices are already in line with my goals? Could you recommend some "safer" schools that I could apply to as well?

Other than that, thank you so much, this means a lot! I was very pessimistic in even trying to apply, before I read this :)
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 03:44
Glad we could offer some hope! Yes, business schools take a holistic view to admissions and are interested in you as a person and what personal qualities/experiences you have that will contribute to their class.
If you're looking on the East Coast, you could add schools like Cornell, Stern, UNC, Georgetown. If you're open to going further afield in the US, McCombs is well known for energy, as is Foster in Seattle, and some of the California schools like UCLA/USC.
Hope that helps!
Kate

mfr0503 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate and icanhazmba,

I didn't realize I could tap into my story to convince schools while being the older side of applicants.
Reading your replies is very encouraging, and I really appreciate your time to write this.
If I may have a follow up question (to you, or anyone reading this), do you think my school choices are already in line with my goals? Could you recommend some "safer" schools that I could apply to as well?

Other than that, thank you so much, this means a lot! I was very pessimistic in even trying to apply, before I read this :)

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Review - Enroll in 2022 while being 30 y.o.?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate