GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile review for deferred MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile review for deferred MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2020, 19:59
Hi there,

I just recently learned about deferred MBA programs and because of the extended deadlines from COVID I'm deciding to give it a shot. Would appreciate any advice!

· Demographics (nationality, gender): Indian-American (US citizen)
· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Electrical Engineering / Computer Science at Duke, GPA: 3.98
· Other coursework or post-undergraduate education: still a senior
· GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown): I'm taking the GRE online in a couple weeks after reading all the negatives about the GMAT online. also keeps my options open for other programs
· Work experience (highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure): I've been to Madagascar on a civil engineering trip, interned at a biotech startup, then interned at a FAANG company and have plans to continue there as a software engineer.
· Extracurricular activities (highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones): I was president of the engineering honor society and helped influence a lot of programs that supported younger engineers as well as influenced some administrative policy. I also did a bunch of ML research projects one of which is about to get published (but not sure if that's relevant). I was a TA for a few years and contributed to changes in course material too
· Post-MBA goals: Not exactly sure, but I'd like to break into the management side of tech, specifically somewhere with ML applications. Also think VC is pretty cool
· Target schools: Deferred MBA programs at HBS, Booth, Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Columbia and Darden
· Other information relevant to your profile:
· Any specific questions you would like answered by our team: I know my numbers will be up to snuff but I'm worried about my lack of substantial EC's - do I have what it takes for these deferred programs? Also, how important are letters of rec actually?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile review for deferred MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2020, 08:12
Hi, throwaway110! Pro tip - the first question you need to ask yourself about applying to the deferred MBA programs now is: why? I think the students with the best chances are those who can articulate to themselves a solid answer for both why they need to gain the acceptance for admission to a future MBA now (other than convenience) and why the schools would want to secure their admission before the students' careers have even launched. If you can answer that question before you begin, you will likely have the right mindframe for completing your application.

You're right that stats are fairly important for the deferred MBA applicants -- that's because there's not a ton of work experience to go on yet, so academic capability takes a bigger weight. On the other hand, so do extracurriculars and internships, which can serve as the canvas for measuring your "impact" and "leadership" that regular MBA candidates need to show at their full time jobs. So - do your best to demonstrate how you've made your mark on the organizations and classes in which you've been involved (I see some promising things in what you've listed, but the details matter so make sure to bring out exactly what you did and how and why you did it). Yes, recs matter- they are seen as an outside view of how you compare to your peers. Find people who will be true supporters/cheerleaders for you.

Best of luck!
Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 10:49
Hi mbaMissionJA,

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm almost done with all parts of my application, but I recently took the GRE and got a score I wasn't that excited by - 165V but 164Q. I was surprised by my lower quant score since I usually did better on practice exams.

Do you think I should retake the test? I know that those numbers are around average for most of the programs I'm looking at, but the averages are probably higher for deferred programs. I'm not sure if I should retake the test to get the quant score up or if the rest of my application reflects my strong quantitative ability. Alternatively, would it be overkill to use the 'Additional Info' essay to say I had a bad test day? Thanks again!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2020, 12:35
Hi there! Well, it's up to you about the retake - I think you are okay with this score, but you're right in that these are very competitive programs and there may be higher pressure on the scores and GPA with this group than in the regular pool. If you would wonder "what if" and feel you left points on the table, you certainly could try to improve it if you wanted to do so. Usually, I say to my clients: would you regret not doing it? Generally, they want to feel like they have done their best when submitting the application.

I don't think, however, writing the optional essay is at all necessary for your score. As you say, it's around the average, not cause for alarm. I think they'd question your perspective if you did a lot of apologizing about it.

Good luck!
Julie-Anne

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

Profile review for deferred MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate