It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review: Ivy league - dream or destiny?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Review: Ivy league - dream or destiny? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 11:56
Hi everyone,

I am often thinking about enrolling in a full-time MBA programm at an Ivy League business school. Is it realistic to pursue an application in the next year?
What are some specific things that I need to improve upon to have a chance?
I don't do many social activities outside of work. Is this a problem for the application?
Thank you very much in advance for your helpful insights!

Nationality: German
GMAT Score: 760 in practice test

Education:
  • Bachelor of Science in Business and Economics
    University of Hohenheim GPA 3.3 Top 6%

Work:
  • Big 4, Germany since Summer of 2015. Management Consulting, my department is for Finance and IT consulting. I am doing very well there as a junior consultant, I am definitely among the best of my peers, even though they're usually older.
  • Internships in Germany and India

Extracurricular activities:
At work I am very active in knowledge sharing inside my organization. However outside of work I just have enough time for my girlfriend...

After MBA:
Short term: continuing to work in my consulting firm
Long term: Leading position in a large enterprise or found my own business

Reasons for pursuing MBA:

1. Learn to lead a business one day
2. Make connections with smart people
3. Is required to advance in the longterm
4. International experience
5. Gain prestige for completing a difficult program

Target Schools: Stanford Business School, another Ivy League school or St. Gallen
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 04:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Someonelse wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am often thinking about enrolling in a full-time MBA programm at an Ivy League business school. Is it realistic to pursue an application in the next year?
I don't do many social activities outside of work. Is this a problem for the application?

Hi,

Yes, sky is the limit- you should definitely aim for the IVY league (although Stanford is not among 'IVY" League): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... ss_schools

Your reasons for doing an MBA are valid, and if you can manage a 760 in your final test, you will definitely rock it.
Moreover, all b-schools love internationals on their campus, so your being German is going to be a big plus on campus.

I'd suggest you work upon your volunteering efforts over the coming months and build a decent portfolio in this area (depth of involvement matters more than breadth - so take up one activity, but intensely). Also, more research on the b-schools, the application process and your career goals will be beneficial during the essay writing.

Here and here are some articles that will help you get started.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Review: Ivy league - dream or destiny? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 15:07
Hi Namita,

thank you for your encouraging advice! Now I know that I have a chance and what specific things I need to work on!
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 23:02
Someonelse wrote:
Hi Namita,

thank you for your encouraging advice! Now I know that I have a chance and what specific things I need to work on!

Glad to help!

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Admission Consultant

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Someonelse wrote:
Hi everyone,

Education:

Work:
  • Big 4, Germany since Summer of 2015. Management Consulting, my department is for Finance and IT consulting. I am doing very well there as a junior consultant, I am definitely among the best of my peers, even though they're usually older.

At work I am very active in knowledge sharing inside my organization. However outside of work I just have enough time for my girlfriend...

After MBA:

Target Schools: Stanford Business School, another Ivy League school or St. Gallen

Hey there,
Thanks for giving a detailed overview of your profile. Your practice GMAT scores are impressive and we believe consistency would help you retain your score in the actual test as well.
Though getting in any top school is a mix of multiple factors, we think you have all the elements that can help you get a good admit. Therefore work on your GMAT and crack the exam with an outstanding score.
You work profile too, advisory in a Big4, is likely to have good stories to write and therefore is an ideal pre –MBA profile. Overall we feel that if you do get a good score, you have a very realistic chance of cracking a top notch school. Keep working towards it.

Good luck!

Taterways Admission Consulting - A Wharton + ISB venture
http://www.taterways.com

http://www.taterways.com/free-consultation

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/taterways

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 13:23
TaterwaysConsulting wrote:
Hey there,
Thanks for giving a detailed overview of your profile. Your practice GMAT scores are impressive and we believe consistency would help you retain your score in the actual test as well.
Though getting in any top school is a mix of multiple factors, we think you have all the elements that can help you get a good admit. Therefore work on your GMAT and crack the exam with an outstanding score.
You work profile too, advisory in a Big4, is likely to have good stories to write and therefore is an ideal pre –MBA profile. Overall we feel that if you do get a good score, you have a very realistic chance of cracking a top notch school. Keep working towards it.

Good luck!

Hi thank you also for your encouragement.
In the past week i've been pondering over the kind of volunteer work that I could add to my resumé. However, it feels difficult to me to pick something that I am passionate about.
Do you have any suggestions for work that will help me in my advance and that also fits to my demanding work schedule?

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Admission Consultant

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 10:40
Someonelse wrote:

Hi thank you also for your encouragement.
In the past week i've been pondering over the kind of volunteer work that I could add to my resumé. However, it feels difficult to me to pick something that I am passionate about.
Do you have any suggestions for work that will help me in my advance and that also fits to my demanding work schedule?

Cheers,

We would recommend that don't follow an EC just for the MBA application. Pick up something you enjoy.

Additionally a recently started initiavitve doesn't make much of an impact as the Admission Commiitee is able to see through the depth of an experience.

It will be better if you can pick up something which you had started earlier but weren't able to do then. But if you specifically need a suggestion, (since we personally understand the life schedule of consulting :-D ) the most aligned EC is pro bono consulting for startups. It will give you vital experience and story around its recency can be developed i.e. now that you have experience of consulting, you are adept at consulting for startups, something that you might have not been able to do earlier.

Taterways Admission Consulting - A Wharton + ISB venture
http://www.taterways.com

http://www.taterways.com/free-consultation

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/taterways

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Someonelse wrote:
Hi everyone,

Education:

Work:

After MBA:

[color=#0000ff]While I see any top business school as an option, I would also consider you to look at other top 20 programs because you may be a great candidate for a scholarship at a school like Cornell or UNC Kenan-Flagler or even Michigan or Fuqua if you hit the 760. The odds of getting into Stanford are just so low for everyone- 6% and they are looking beyond the GMAT score so it is hard to tell anyone they have great odds there no matter what they have done. But for consulting definitely look at the schools I mentioned above plus look at Kellogg and Booth and Wharton also and then of course consider HBS too and while also low odds, it is a bit better than GSB. Don't overlook the impact a full scholarship could have on your life and finances and the access you get from some of the more competitive fellowships is worth far more than just money. For an opportunity to learn more about how we can help you best leverage your positive attributes in this process, here is a link:
http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... ub-visitor //color]

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 12:32
Thanks also to Taterways and Stratus for your replies.

I made a mistake in my first post. I misremembered my practice test score. Recently I took a full practice test on MGMAT and scored 720. It's pretty good, but a score of 760 is some way to go.

I also failed to mention that I only have two full years of work experience by the time I will apply.

Stratus, I will definitely look into your school recommendations including the scholarship options.
Profile Review: Ivy league - dream or destiny?   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2017, 12:32

Profile Review: Ivy league - dream or destiny?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: OasisGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap