Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Review - Military [#permalink]
My school choices are pretty narrow, I know. I have some geographical preferences and the only other school I have considered in Wharton. I could put an application together for them in the 2nd round but I will have to make sure the initial four get the attention they deserve.

How is Wharton's reputation as a military friendly school?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well I haven't heard that Wharton is specifically Military-friendly like HBS is... But what that means is that Wharton is only "normal" Military-friendly... Meaning that besides the appreciation that they will have for the job you do, they will also really like the REAL leadership experience you are likely to have and also the more-interesting-than-usual stories you will have too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jon,

I appreciate the insight. No school would scoff at the back ground but I'm very aware that it resonates with some stronger than others. But I recently had a huge setback in my applications. Wondering if you could offer your two cents.

I took the GRE last November and upon completion, I checked the ETS convertor to see my ballpark GMAT score. It came out to a 700 so I comfortably put the books down and have not studied since then. I am now in the throws of essay development fo rhte first round and I just checked the ETS website again. Apparently, they changed the conversion and my GRE score now equates to at 670 GMAT!!. To me, this puts me in a completely different category as a 700.

As a SEAL, I've had to carefully plan the application process and I am applying in the first round because I'll be on a deployment beginning in November. I really have no choice but to continue with applications because I don't have time to study and take the GRE again. It's an issue of really unfortunate timing but I feel like I was misled. Had I known my score was 670, I would have sat for the test this past winter without hesitation.

Is this conversion as big a deal as I think it is?

-Duff
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh... this is a tough nut my friend.

The thing with the GRE is that it's pretty new for the MBA programs themselves, and anyhow they even tend to be a liiiiiittle bit skeptical of the ETS conversion. But the conversion going from 700 to 670 is no good news of course. And especially if you are aiming for HKS and HBS.

Now, I think that your profile is one of the few types of profiles where you can still have decent chances with a 670 equivalent, even if the score is less than ideal... would you have better chances with a better score? For sure. But do you really have the time to get that better score? That is the question. (and do you even want to? And how much better do you feel might be able to do? in either the GRE or GMAT?) Basically I think that if you are applying this year and you aren't SURE of being able to get a better score (say within two months, so you can prepare your app for R2), then just let the cards lay as they are, and play the best game you can with the hand you are dealt.

Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Agreed. As I said, I would have absolutely reset to take the test again and I know a 700 would have been within reach (I didn't have the best test day). But now it is a bit of a bridge too far. I honestly cannot help but feel that I got totally screwed.

Do you think this is worth addressing in an optional essay? It's a little difficult to truly capture the totality of the situation with the pending deployment, an assignment overseas (I moved to Germany within the last six months), and managing the business school venture while balancing committments as an active duty SEAL. You will never meet a more deliberate planner but this literally came out of no where. To an ADCOM though, at the end of the day, I am choosing not to take the test again. Sucks.

Duff
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Duff wrote:
Agreed. As I said, I would have absolutely reset to take the test again and I know a 700 would have been within reach (I didn't have the best test day). But now it is a bit of a bridge too far. I honestly cannot help but feel that I got totally screwed.

Do you think this is worth addressing in an optional essay? It's a little difficult to truly capture the totality of the situation with the pending deployment, an assignment overseas (I moved to Germany within the last six months), and managing the business school venture while balancing committments as an active duty SEAL. You will never meet a more deliberate planner but this literally came out of no where. To an ADCOM though, at the end of the day, I am choosing not to take the test again. Sucks.

Duff

Hey man - that blows. Just some food for thought: After you apply R1, will you have time to take the GMAT in the following spring at any point? Even though it won't help you with your R1 applications there are two benefits I can see:

1) Getting a 700+ score would help should you end up on a school's WL.
2) The GMAT (not GRE) is a measuring stick used by some companies, so having a 700+ on your resume will help come recruiting season.

Best of luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
Duff wrote:
I am very far from my comfort zone here but I think I have been inoculated to that state over the last eight years in the Navy so I am resolved to play the hand I'm dealt as Jon says, put forth honest and provoking essays, crush the interview, and roll the dice.

If you do the stuff in bold, it won't be much of a roll of the dice. If they like you, that GRE score will be a blemish they overlook.

I'm glad you got my username - a lot of people have no idea what I'm referring to! :-D
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
You mean there are actually people who haven't see the Karate Kid? And who don't recognize your icon?? Wow....
Director
Director
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
You mean there are actually people who haven't see the Karate Kid? And who don't recognize your icon?? Wow....

I know, right? Kids these days...

Well, for those who haven't seen it, this should get them up to speed:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_-0pzGo2UU[/youtube]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So you think it's not appropriate for an optional essay?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Duff wrote:

My ace in the hole is that I also have enough time left on active duty to apply again next year if needed. And on the bright side, I think the events of the next few months, regardless of outcome, will make for a solid debrief for GMAT Club that has helped me so much over the last few years.

Duff

Well then, as CobraKai wrote, you do the best you can with what you have now (and it's pretty good) and let the cards fall where they may.

Duff wrote:
So you think it's not appropriate for an optional essay?

What, the Karate Kid? Oh I dunno, you've probably got a whole bunch of folks on the committee from that generation who'd get all teary-eyed, if they heard about that.
:)

I'm kidding of course... To be honest I don't really think optional essays about test scores are really interesting. I mean, you take the test, you get what you get, and then you have to live with it. Although yes, you have a great reason for having felt falsely secure, at the same time for them there's no guarantee that you would have done better (I mean THEY have no idea how smart you are)... Maybe maybe, you could try and slide it in as a one or two phrase point in an optional essay that is about a bunch of "issues".. and than I think it could work.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, Jon. I'll bring it up in an interview if it's appropriate. I do want the ADCOMs to know about the situation but it's kind of difficult to relay in essay form. I'll continue to think about it.

I think I'm on the phone with Eric Weisman this afternoon for a profile review. Looking forward to his comments.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, you'll see how you should approach it in function of what else is and isn't in your application.

Great to hear that you're hooked up with Eric. Eric's a really good guy (and of course a top-notch pro). Let me know how it goes (in PM if you like).
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts