Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
, given: 31
Profile - What GMAT Score do I need? Any other advice? [#permalink]
01 Dec 2011, 09:46
I am taking the exam on December 22nd and I am wondering what score range I would need? Also, any other advice given my profile would be fantastic!
Here is my current profile:
Age: 25 (27 at matriculation)
- Undergrad: Rhodes College - BA in Business Administration (Cumulative GPA: 2.97/Major GPA: 3.13) and a Minor in Spanish. Participated in two study abroad programs: a summer immersion program studying in Spain and a summer program studying at University of Oxford.
- Graduate: University of Texas at Dallas - MS in Accounting and Information Management (GPA: 4.0). Graduated with concentration in Internal Auditing. The program for Internal Auditing at UTD is one of two programs in the US and six programs worldwide that have the Internal Auditing Education Partnership center for excellence distinction.
Work Experience: Will have around 45 months when I apply and around 50 to 55 months when I matriculate.
- Internal Audit Internship - Southwest Airlines - 6 months (Completed full-time internship while working on MS degree) - Performed work on audit engagement teams with various different departments of the company including IT, revenue planning, marketing, payroll, and financial accounting.
- Staff Accountant - Small Public Accounting and Advisory Firm - - 11 months - Worked on business development, various audits for non-profit, hospitality and government clients, and a large long-term nine month consulting engagement with the US Coast Guard - 11 months
- Management Consultant - IBM Global Business Services - 15 months - Working on business transformation process consulting engagements Federal clients including major DoD agencies.
Post MBA Goals: Continue management consulting work, but with heavy focus on overall corporate strategy and exposure to international business.
Extra-Curriculars/Affiliations: - Moderate involvement
Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Honor Society - UTD chapter, Hands on Greater DC Cares Community member - participate in various organized community service projects in the D.C. area with this network, IBM On-Demand service community - worked on various community service projects with my employer, Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity - Philanthropy Co-Chairman in college - Organized monthly service projects for organization members.
I am trying to figure out where I need to fall in the GMAT range to be a candidate for top ten programs. My personal top choice is Kellogg for its team-work focus and its program's strength in general management. My undergrad grades were far from impressive, but I believe my profile shows that I have overcome that shortcoming and am capable. I am just wondering if a GMAT score around my target schools' averages will suffice or if I still need something above the average to compensate for my undergrad GPA. Also any other advice would be very helpful!
If you have any questions re: my profile, please let me know
Thanks for reviewing!