Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 29 May 2017, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 3

Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:09) correct 43% (01:20) wrong based on 467 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been declining slowly for several years. The CFO investigated and determined that inflation has raised the cost of producing the product but consumers who were surveyed reported that they felt the product’s functionality didn't justify a higher price. As a result, the CFO recommended that the company stop producing this product because the CEO only wants products whose profit margins are increasing.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating whether the CFO's decision to divest the company of its flagship product is warranted?

A. Does the company have new and profitable products available with which to replace the flagship product?

B. Will the rest of Company X's management team agree with the CFO's recommendation?

C. Can Company X sell the flagship product to new markets to increase its customer base?

D. Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?

E. What percentage of Company X's revenues is represented by sales of the flagship product in question?



I'd appreciate any help, thank you.



I think this question is poorly written in because of 'unit price' shouldn't it read 'unit cost'? If you added features without increasing the unit price yes people may continue to purchase the product however, if these new feature increased you unit cost then your profit margins would decrease thus creating an issue for the CFO. If the answer choice read 'add features without increasing the unit cost' then this question is a no brainer, I got it right but I was confused as to why they worded it like this.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 230
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 32

Re: A CFO and Profit Margins [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2013, 10:02
Hi,

One way to attack CR is to make the information manageable by breaking it down the essentials:

1. The products profits are decreasing because consumers are not willing to pay the increased price (do to inflation/production costs) for this product considering the features

2. The CEO only wants to focus on products whose profits are increasing

3. Therefore the CEO wants to discontinue the product

So D is the only one that addresses the above: if the features can be augmented without increasing the price then perhaps consumers will respond by buying more. You can justify the idea of price because The CFO investigated and determined that inflation has raised the cost of producing the product but consumers who were surveyed reported that they felt the product’s functionality didn't justify a higher price. So the logic is can we add functionality which will justify the higher price (caused by inflation/production costs) without adding to the price. If we can do this the idea is that consumers will buy more of the product (because it has more features and the price stayed the same) and increase the profit from the product. Also, just because the cost does not increase does not mean that the price to the consumers doesn't increase. The real focus here is that the price is too high considering the features.

I hope this helps!

HG.
_________________

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT vs GRE Comparison

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 283
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 75

Re: A CFO and Profit Margins [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2013, 10:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been declining slowly for several years. The CFO investigated and determined that inflation has raised the cost of producing the product but consumers who were surveyed reported that they felt the product’s functionality didn't justify a higher price. As a result, the CFO recommended that the company stop producing this product because the CEO only wants products whose profit margins are increasing. <--- CONCLUSION

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating whether the CFO's decision to divest the company of its flagship product is warranted?

A. Does the company have new and profitable products available with which to replace the flagship product? Scope: Company X's flagship products. Thus, this is OFS

B. Will the rest of Company X's management team agree with the CFO's recommendation? Scope: CFO's decision to divest. OFS

C. Can Company X sell the flagship product to new markets to increase its customer base?

D. Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?
If Yes, than CFO's decision to divest the company of its flagship product is not warranted
If No, than CFO's decision to divest the company of its flagship product is warranted


E. What percentage of Company X's revenues is represented by sales of the flagship product in question? Scope: Profits for Company X's flagship products. Thus, this is OFS

EVALUATE QUESTION. Do the Variance test:
_________________

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [1] , given: 39

Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 02:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been declining slowly for several years. The CFO investigated and determined that inflation has raised the cost of producing the product but consumers who were surveyed reported that they felt the product’s functionality didn’t justify a higher price. As a result, the CFO recommended that the company stop producing this product because the CEO only wants products whose profit margins are increasing.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating whether the CFO's decision to divest the company of its flagship product is warranted?

A Does the company have new and profitable products available with which to replace the flagship product?

B Will the rest of Company X's management team agree with the CFO's recommendation?

C Can Company X sell the flagship product to new markets to increase its customer base?

D Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?

E What percentage of Company X's revenues is represented by sales of the flagship product in question?


The CFO wants to withdraw this product as the CEO wants only those products whose profit margins are increasing.

Profit margin= Profit/Revenue per unit of the product.
Sp->Selling price of the product
CP->Cost price to produce the product

I am not sure what unit price means in choice D. Does it mean the cost of production to the company or the cost to the buyer in the market?
Unit price should generally mean cost of the product in the market i.e the SP from the manufacturer's side.

Let us take this scenario:

SP CP Profit margin Sales Net profit Year
200 100 0.5 100 10000 1
200 120 0.4 100 8000 2
200 142 0.29 100 5800 3
272 170 0.6 50 5050 4

So, assuming that the costs of production go up by 20% each year, and that the manufacturer cannot increase his selling price, for he fears that he will lose sales, we can see that the profit margins continue to fall(in the first three years).

In the case that the manufacturer does increase his selling price to counter the loss in profit margins, the people will stop buying his product as they feel that spending so much for the features on offer is not worth their money.

So, if the CFO wants to increase his margins, he must only reduce his internal manufacturing cost or add new features to the product(without increasing his own production cost) so that he can command a higher price for his product.


Case 1: unit price=cost of production
If he is able to add new features to this product,without adding on his own costs, and people are willing to spend more for those new features, then this plan will be a success. In this case , maybe the year 4 scenario will not happen.
The CFO will probably be able to increase the profit margins, and everyone is happy(including me).

Case 2:
unit price=cost to buyer or selling price from the manufacturer

Now, if unit price is kept constant(i.e the his selling price), then perhaps his sales will go up , but how will his margins increase?

In this scenario, I see no difference between choice C and D.

In the end, it all boils down to the trivial matter of what unit price means in this context. In hindsight, maybe it was too obvious.But , that was what made me choose choice C.
In my knowledge unit price has always meant the price that a product sells for.

If, choice D had said, the unit price of production, then it would have been a clear picture.

Please help me with this.

Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 481
Location: India
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 427 [1] , given: 15

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 04:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The CFO's objective is to not have a product whose profit margins are decreasing. There were two inputs to the CFO that made him to stop the production of the flagship product: (i) the production cost of the product was increasing and so the products profit margin is decreasing (ii) the consumers perceive the product as too costly. So the company has to reduce the price if it has to sell the product well. But this again would reduce the profit margins. Thus the above two reasons made the CFO to stop the production of the product in accordance with his objective. But the rise of cost due to inflation is less of an issue because the price of the product is increased in accordance with the inflation.

The question is which of the additional information would help in assessing whether CFO's decision is correct or not?

The best choice is D because if it were analyzed whether the functionality of the product could be enhanced so that consumers feel that it is rightly priced and the company did not have to reduce the price, then that would say what the CFO did was right or not. That is, if it is the case that the functionality could not be increased without increasing the price what the CFO did was right. This is because the consumers might still feel it is too expensive. On the other hand if the functionality of the product could be enhanced without increasing the price, then the consumers would feel it is rightly priced and the price need not be reduced. Then the profit margins does not decrease and what the CFO did was wrong.

So the assessment that is important is that mentioned in choice D as it directly evaluates the rationale on which the CFO made his decision.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 39

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 04:33
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
The CFO's objective is to not have a product whose profit margins are decreasing. There were two inputs to the CFO that made him to stop the production of the flagship product: (i) the production cost of the product was increasing and so the products profit margin is decreasing (ii) the consumers perceive the product as too costly. So the company has to reduce the price if it has to sell the product well. But this again would reduce the profit margins. Thus the above two reasons made the CFO to stop the production of the product in accordance with his objective. But the rise of cost due to inflation is less of an issue because the price of the product is increased in accordance with the inflation.

The question is which of the additional information would help in assessing whether CFO's decision is correct or not?

The best choice is D because if it were analyzed whether the functionality of the product could be enhanced so that consumers feel that it is rightly priced and the company did not have to reduce the price, then that would say what the CFO did was right or not. That is, if it is the case that the functionality could not be increased without increasing the price what the CFO did was right. This is because the consumers might still feel it is too expensive. On the other hand if the functionality of the product could be enhanced without increasing the price, then the consumers would feel it is rightly priced and the price need not be reduced. Then the profit margins does not decrease and what the CFO did was wrong.

So the assessment that is important is that mentioned in choice D as it directly evaluates the rationale on which the CFO made his decision.



Thanks for the response.
However, I had a very specific doubt about how choice D is worded.

Unit price??
Unit price =Selling price to the consumer
OR
Unit price=Production cost of the manufacturer

I enumerated this in the 2 cases that i wrote down.

Would appreciate the help
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 481
Location: India
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 15

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 04:37
12bhang wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
The CFO's objective is to not have a product whose profit margins are decreasing. There were two inputs to the CFO that made him to stop the production of the flagship product: (i) the production cost of the product was increasing and so the products profit margin is decreasing (ii) the consumers perceive the product as too costly. So the company has to reduce the price if it has to sell the product well. But this again would reduce the profit margins. Thus the above two reasons made the CFO to stop the production of the product in accordance with his objective. But the rise of cost due to inflation is less of an issue because the price of the product is increased in accordance with the inflation.

The question is which of the additional information would help in assessing whether CFO's decision is correct or not?

The best choice is D because if it were analyzed whether the functionality of the product could be enhanced so that consumers feel that it is rightly priced and the company did not have to reduce the price, then that would say what the CFO did was right or not. That is, if it is the case that the functionality could not be increased without increasing the price what the CFO did was right. This is because the consumers might still feel it is too expensive. On the other hand if the functionality of the product could be enhanced without increasing the price, then the consumers would feel it is rightly priced and the price need not be reduced. Then the profit margins does not decrease and what the CFO did was wrong.

So the assessment that is important is that mentioned in choice D as it directly evaluates the rationale on which the CFO made his decision.



Thanks for the response.
However, I had a very specific doubt about how choice D is worded.

Unit price??
Unit price =Selling price to the consumer
OR
Unit price=Production cost of the manufacturer

I enumerated this in the 2 cases that i wrote down.

Would appreciate the help


Dear 12bhang,

When you say unit price it is the selling price to the consumer, cost of making a unit is called as the unit cost.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 39

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 04:49
Dear SravnaTestPrep,



SP CP Profit margin Sales Net profit Year
200 100 0.5 100 10000 1
200 120 0.4 100 8000 2
200 142 0.29 100 5800 3
272 170 0.6 50 5050 4


As you can see from this table, if the unit price of the product does not go up , then how will the profit margin increase?

If the CFO increases the unit price of the product,while adding some new features , then perhaps the consumers will feel that the product is worth the higher price.

The argument states that "the consumers who were surveyed reported.....".

The company is considering whether to increase price or not. But, without further features the consumers will not accept the price rise.Thus, it will introduce further features that justify the higher price, but without increasing its production cost.

If we speak in terms of the sample data- if the company can increase its unit price to 272, then the profit margins will increase,keeping in mind the increasing cost of production.

Though choice D will ensure that the consumers are ready to buy the product, by saying that the unit price remains the same ,it nullifies the scope for increase in profit margin.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 39

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 04:52
The table isn't coming out properly.

Please refer to the attachment for the data.
Attachments

sample.xlsx [9.65 KiB]
Downloaded 65 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 481
Location: India
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 427 [1] , given: 15

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 05:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
"has raised the cost of producing the product but consumers who were surveyed reported that they felt the product’s functionality didn’t justify a higher price."

Consider the above. What the above means is that the price is indeed fixed in accordance with the inflation i.e., the price is being raised but the consumers are not accepting the higher price. The consumers will accept the increase only if there is more functionality to the product. So here we are talking of two types of increase , one is the increase due to inflation which anyway any company will do and which is not the issue here and the other is the increase in cost and therefore in price, due to the addition of functionality. If the company is able to add functionality without affecting the cost and therefore the price, the product will indeed sell at the inflation adjusted higher price.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 62
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 39

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 05:37
If the price has already gone up to a level that the profit margins have been taken care of, but the main problem is the lack of customers, then why is choice C incorrect?

I mean, as you said, the price at which the product is selling is going up because of the corresponding increase in production costs, but the customers have stopped buying the product.

Increasing functionality will bring back the customers who stopped buying the product because of lack of functionality.

In this case, why won't exploring new markets that are ready to accept the product as it is be a good idea, as in choice C?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 1404 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 05:45
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
The CFO's objective is to not have a product whose profit margins are decreasing. There were two inputs to the CFO that made him to stop the production of the flagship product: (i) the production cost of the product was increasing and so the products profit margin is decreasing (ii) the consumers perceive the product as too costly. So the company has to reduce the price if it has to sell the product well. But this again would reduce the profit margins. Thus the above two reasons made the CFO to stop the production of the product in accordance with his objective. But the rise of cost due to inflation is less of an issue because the price of the product is increased in accordance with the inflation.

The question is which of the additional information would help in assessing whether CFO's decision is correct or not?

The best choice is D because if it were analyzed whether the functionality of the product could be enhanced so that consumers feel that it is rightly priced and the company did not have to reduce the price, then that would say what the CFO did was right or not. That is, if it is the case that the functionality could not be increased without increasing the price what the CFO did was right. This is because the consumers might still feel it is too expensive. On the other hand if the functionality of the product could be enhanced without increasing the price, then the consumers would feel it is rightly priced and the price need not be reduced. Then the profit margins does not decrease and what the CFO did was wrong.

So the assessment that is important is that mentioned in choice D as it directly evaluates the rationale on which the CFO made his decision.


Hi sravana

i have doubt regarding option C and D

My undersstanding for C is:
C Can Company X sell the flagship product to new markets to increase its customer base?
if it is possible to sell the flagship product to new markets to increase its customer base===>then obviously the profit will stabilize.
so IMO this was the contender ..PLEASE suggest where i am wrong?

FOR OPTION D:
D Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?
How we can assume that additional feature is going to fetch back the consumers.

please suggest
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 481
Location: India
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 15

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 06:02
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear 12bhang, blueseas,

The point is the price of the product has to increase because of inflation whether it be sold in the existing market or the new market. But we know the existing market is not accepting the increase in price.

Assume we evaluate as in C whether the company can sell the product in new markets? And assume we conclude we can sell. But we still do not know whether we can sell it at a price where the profit margin increases. So it is not the sales that is the focus but the margin according to the CFO.

The additional features are likely to fetch back the customers because, it is given that it is for the lack of additional features that the customers are resisting the higher price
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 1404 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 06:11
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
Dear 12bhang, blueseas,

The point is the price of the product has to increase because of inflation whether it be sold in the existing market or the new market. But we know the existing market is not accepting the increase in price.

Assume we evaluate as in C whether the company can sell the product in new markets? And assume we conclude we can sell. But we still do not know whether we can sell it at a price where the profit margin increases. So it is not the sales that is the focus but the margin according to the CFO.

The additional features are likely to fetch back the customers because, it is given that it is for the lack of additional features that the customers are resisting the higher price


price is already increased and now if we are able to increase the customer base then surely profit will also increase.
it is not written that we have to reduce price for selling in new market.

moreover option D:
D Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?
IT Seems that this additional feature can be any type...may be it may not attract(actually the wording of this choice is not very supporting)
might be some flaw in my approach.

thanks
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 481
Location: India
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 15

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 06:36
blueseas wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
Dear 12bhang, blueseas,

The point is the price of the product has to increase because of inflation whether it be sold in the existing market or the new market. But we know the existing market is not accepting the increase in price.

Assume we evaluate as in C whether the company can sell the product in new markets? And assume we conclude we can sell. But we still do not know whether we can sell it at a price where the profit margin increases. So it is not the sales that is the focus but the margin according to the CFO.

The additional features are likely to fetch back the customers because, it is given that it is for the lack of additional features that the customers are resisting the higher price


price is already increased and now if we are able to increase the customer base then surely profit will also increase.
it is not written that we have to reduce price for selling in new market.

moreover option D:
D Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?
IT Seems that this additional feature can be any type...may be it may not attract(actually the wording of this choice is not very supporting)
might be some flaw in my approach.

thanks


The CFO has discarded the product because he knew he cannot increase the price. Choice C talks only about increasing the customer base and not about the price. I do not think it directly addresses the question. Choice D specifically talks about price because evaluating it would give the information that the price in fact need not be increased and it is enough to increase the functionality and still increase the profit margin. So it gives a more definitive information on which the CFO could have acted given the other facts.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 88
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 37

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 18:44
Sales price - Cost of production = profit

this is reducing because of the two reasons:
1) Sales price cannot be increase as people perceive that the product do not have a lot of features for which they are ready to shell out more.
2) inflation has increased the Cost of production

the answer choice that links these to factors and gives a solution is D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2014
Posts: 20
Schools: NTU '17, AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2014, 12:50
IMO, D

Strikes right at the heart of the problem. Asks the basic question which is driving the product to shut down (low value for money being paid by customers)
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 960
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 171

Kudos [?]: 1614 [0], given: 229

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 09:16
How we can assume that adding features will improve functionality of the product...

What if I just start selling that product in a new market where people can pay price for current functionality...

We have only two options either change the market or change the functionality...

Lets assume: if in USA people think that $5 for Old monk rum does not commensurate to its quality compared to Jonny walker, but they are willing to pay $6 for Jonny walker because its a good product. Then as a CEO of Old monk what options I will have before shutting down the manufacturing ?
1. I can try to improve rum's quality for US buyers without reducing my profit margin.
or
2. I can sell it to counties like India where people people can take it as a good product compared to other local brands.

C and D both looks fine :rocket ..any expert feed back ?
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Location: United States
Schools: Stanford '16 (D)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 09:23
this is an mgmat cat question and mgmat agreed to bring/change this question. It is poorly written.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pro ... 25380.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 389
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 139

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 13:42
Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been declining slowly for several years. The CFO investigated and determined that inflation has raised the cost of producing the product but consumers who were surveyed reported that they felt the product’s functionality didn't justify a higher price. As a result, the CFO recommended that the company stop producing this product because the CEO only wants products whose profit margins are increasing.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating whether the CFO's decision to divest the company of its flagship product is warranted?

A. Does the company have new and profitable products available with which to replace the flagship product?-Even if it has,how does it relate to discontinuing previous products-The basis,as per the argument, should be decreasing margins and not new products replacing old products for more profit.

B. Will the rest of Company X's management team agree with the CFO's recommendation?-Clearly doesn't help anywhere

C. Can Company X sell the flagship product to new markets to increase its customer base?-Even if we increase the consumer base,the profit margin per product remains the same-So doesn't help either

D. Are there additional features that could be added to the product without raising the unit price?- If product has more functionalities at the same cost price,we can justify the high price of the product in the market for the additional functionalities-Which addresses the previous complains of the consumers & hence if such an option is possible,it will help assess whether the product should be discontinued or not

E. What percentage of Company X's revenues is represented by sales of the flagship product in question? Increasing margin and not proportion of Sales is the point of concern
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Re: Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2014, 13:42

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Among the one hundred most profitable companies Skywalker18 4 06 Nov 2015, 22:18
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic *700* Profits for one of Company X’s flagship products have been souvik101990 4 23 May 2015, 10:42
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Evaluate Revision: Profits for one of Company X souvik101990 4 05 Feb 2017, 01:53
19 Newtronix, a technology company that sells only one product, KAS1 19 08 Apr 2017, 05:38
2 Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been agdimple333 15 22 Nov 2015, 08:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profits for one of Company X's flagship products have been

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.