Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
danerd wrote:
Oh right, forgot to post my background. In a nutshell:

New York based software engineer who worked at a major bank and now working at a major media company. Also worked at a startup in between.
GPA: 3.02 (I know :()
Ivy league masters in CS, undergrad in a university in Taiwan
GMAT: 760 (Q: 50, V: 44) AWA: 5.5

My GPA and tech focused background would be my achilles heels when I apply, especially for Sloan and Haas. But what's done is done, I do believe I have a lot of good stories to tell in my essays and hope that could make up for it.

Stanford is a great choice but not applying to it due to the combined realities of my old age and subpar GPA. Plus I don't wanna overstretch myself in the application process applying to too many schools.

I'm not an expert so perhaps you should ask one of the consultants. I would think your list of schools is fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Program focused on strategy/entrepreneurship [#permalink]
Based solely on class profiles and websites, you seem to have a pretty competitive application for Haas. They really value experience and skew older than most schools. Just take a look at the employment report and you'll see that it's probably the best school for you. However, your GPA is low for them but I have a feeling that it's not too bad considering you had a difficult major and you have tons of experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
You have a good list of schools there and definitely a strong profile. If you're looking for another school with extensive entrepreneurship resources (which might be a bit of a safety for you), you might want to also consider UNC Kenan Flagler. A lot of their faculty is practitioner-based and they have strong ties with some of the nation's most promising tech startups in the Research Triangle.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Darden also has a pretty cool program (forgot the name of it) but it's basically a grant set up by some alumni that allow entrepreneurs to work to start their own businesses partially on their dime with a lot of helpful resources around. Plus, the rest of Darden rocks too (biased).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Since I have extremely similar goals post MBA, I have looked at a lot of schools in this arena. Here are some more to consider.

Stanford: As mentioned before, Stanford is great for technology start-ups. Extremely hard to get into and the most selective school in the entire nation, but possible the best place for what you want to do.

Carnegie Mellon University - Tepper: I have found few schools that have such a Tech focus. Arguably, CMU caters more to tech folks than MIT. Sloan is somewhat trying to shed the heavy tech label that they have and prove that anyone can go there, but CMU seems to embrace it. They also have several solid Entrepreneurship programs.

Generally speaking, a strong engineering and computer science program were important to me. I feel like one of the best ways to start a Tech company is to partner with a person focused in Tech ... and that happens when there is a good engineering/comp sci school for you to steal talent from. As a result, Unv of Michigan was also on my list, but I can't hands down recommend them.
GMAT Club Bot