Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [2]
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: Prominent business executives often play active roles in United States [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Prominent business executives often play active roles in the United States presidential campaigns as fundraisers or backroom strategists. But few actually seek to become president themselves. Throughout history, the great majority of those who have sought to become president have been lawyers, military leaders, or full-time politicians. This is understandable, for the personality and skills that make for success in business do not make for success in politics. Business is largely hierarchical, whereas politics is coordinative;
As a result, business executives tend to be uncomfortable with compromises and power-sharing, which are inherent in politics.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the proposed explanation of why Business executives do not run for president?

Argument: ...business executives tend to be uncomfortable with compromises and power-sharing, which are inherent in politics

In order to weaken the argument, we can do two things:
1) It's not the compromises and power-sharing that are stopping the business executives from running for the prez.
2) The lawyers, the military leaders, or the full-time politicians are no more comfortable than biz execs with compromises and power-sharing

(A) Many of the most active presidential fundraisers and backroom strategists are themselves, Politicians.
Does not weaken the argument.

(B) Military leaders are generally no more comfortable with compromises and power-sharing than are business executives.
In line with point 2.

(C) Some of the skills needed to become a successful lawyer are different from some of those needed to become a successful military leader.
Not even addressing biz execs.

(D) Some former presidents have engaged in business ventures after leaving office
What some politicians have done after leaving the office is OFS.

(E) Some hierarchically structured companies have been major financial supporters of Candidates for president.
OFS

Option B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: Prominent business executives often play active roles in United States [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO: B

If true, then the premise of the conclusion fails,

I see it as Person A making a excuse not to do something because of a lame excuse, when Person B does it despite that exact reason. Basically no more for excuses.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Hi Experts KarishmaB AjiteshArun GMATNinja MartyMurray GMATNinjaTwo
I find it tough to locate the core here. Please help me out! Below is my understanding:

I initially thought that below should be the core.

Conclusion: This is understandable(that few actually seek to become president themselves): D
Intermediate conclusion: for the personality and skills that make for success in business do not make for success in politics : C

But, i cant see how the below part is related to the above CORE:
''Business is largely hierarchical, whereas politics is coordinative(A) --->business executives tend to be uncomfortable with compromises and power sharing, which are inherent in politics(B)''

I know my understanding is not correct but i think, chain of arguments seems to go from A --> B --> C --> D

­Sounds like you have the right idea here: the conclusion is indeed the "this is understandable" part ("It is understandable that few prominent business executives actually seek to become president themselves.").

And why is that understandable? Because "the personality and skills that make for success in business do not make for success in politics". This statement is further explained by the parts you've labeled A and B.

You could probably argue that A supports B, but that distinction isn't really necessary: A and B really go hand-in-hand in explaining why someone who excels in business might not excel in politics.

If you go into a passage thinking, "okay, step 1: put the sentences in order," you're probably being too mechanical. As long as you understand the conclusion and the basic logic behind it, there's no need to drive yourself crazy trying to put every single sentence in the "correct" logical order.­­

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
rthothad wrote:
I will go with 'B'.
Military leaders are not comfortable with compromises and power sharing & so are business executives but military leaders seek presidency, hence the reason given for business executives not entering politics falls apart.

(B) was also in my favourite list. I declined it because it was too specific. There is no mention of "Politician" or "Lawyers". Is that not required? what do u say?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
jpv wrote:
(B) was also in my favourite list. I declined it because it was too specific. There is no mention of "Politician" or "Lawyers". Is that not required? what do u say?

jpv, I do not think you need to look for those words, IMO 'D' is a trap because it says that former Presidents become business people and not the other way around, whereas 'B' directly attacks one of the premise proving it to be false.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
I believe it is (B).

It shows the similarity between military and business executives.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
It should be (B) because if military leaders can become the presidet, the why ot business leaders.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Send PM
how do u refute A.

"Prominent business executives often play active roles in United States presidential campaigns as fundraisers or backroom strategists"

A defies the basic premise on which argument is based.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4446 [0]
Send PM
mbamantra wrote:
how do u refute A.

"Prominent business executives often play active roles in United States presidential campaigns as fundraisers or backroom strategists"

A defies the basic premise on which argument is based.

HI, the conclusion is few of prominent business executives seek to become president themselves.

And the premise is that the characteristics of business leaders and politician leaders are different.

In choice A, even if fundraisers are politicians, we still cannot make sure whether these politicians who are also fundraisers will run for president or not since the author talked about politicians who are not fundraisers.

Choice B is the OA, it talked about military leaders.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM