Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [12]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers h [#permalink]
Kudos
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers has made difficulties for savings banks as they are competing with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates.

Analyzing the meaning of the sentence reveals that restrictions (plural) have (plural) made it difficult for banks to compete and also gives an example of a type of competition.
Since subject restrictions is plural verb has to be plural, eliminate options A & B for S-V error.
Such as is used to give examples, therefore, eliminate option C
Only deal breaker for me between D & E is use of they in E which gives ambiguity. Therefore, IMO D is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
Send PM
Re: Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers h [#permalink]
Kudos
In option D and E, what does 'it' refer to? I eliminated these options as I was unsure of this reference

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
techloverforever wrote:
In option D and E, what does 'it' refer to? I eliminated these options as I was unsure of this reference
In option D, the it refers to "to compete..."

The it in option E doesn't really refer to anything in the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
what does it refers to ?in the above post
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
It has been used here as a placeholder . read more from our GMAT SC Guru daagh

https://gmatclub.com/forum/placeholder- ... ml#p905757
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aaggarwal191 wrote:
what does it refers to ?in the above post

Hi aaggarwal191, in option D, it refers to the phrase to compete with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates.

This is one of the cases where the pronoun (it) is used before the antecedent.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses pronoun use before the antecedent, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers has made difficulties for savings banks as they are competing with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates.

(A) has made difficulties for savings banks as they are competing with such

(B) has made difficulties for savings banks competing with such

(C) have made difficulties for savings banks as they are competing with

(D) have made it difficult for savings banks to compete with such

(E) have made it difficult for savings banks as they are competing with such

The right answer to this question should be D. As with all SC questions (and Verbal Qs on the GMAT in general), the ideal strat to follow is to eliminate the answers that don't work until you're left with the right one.

Options A & B - The first toss up is between 'has' and 'have'. Well, what has/have made things difficult? It is the restrictions, which are plural. Hence, the use of 'has' in A and B is incorrect. OUT

Option C - At first glance, the "it" in D and E seems kind of incorrect, because what noun is it replacing? However, the pronoun 'it' can be used as a placeholder pronoun to describe the general state of things(Eg - It rained today). In fact, for this sentence, the usage of 'it' is actually the optimal way to go, since things in general have been made difficult. It is not difficulties themselves that have been made, and this is why C is incorrect. OUT

Option E - D and E don't have much in between them, but what difference exists is actually very significant. E says that "the restrictions have made it difficult for savings banks as a whole because they have to compete". But, this is NOT the intended meaning. The difficulty created is specific to the action of competing. Hence, D's construction of "have made it difficult to compete" captures the meaning far better. Therefore, E is OUT.

Hence, D is the right answer.

Always remember to eliminate to arrive at the correct answer, and only eliminate an option when you're sure it is wrong. This will help improve your overall accuracy!

- Matoo

If you felt that this was useful, be sure to hit me up with a Kudos! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2331 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers h [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

This sentence refers to a difficulty (or difficulties) that savings banks face as a result of federal restrictions. The original version suggests that there may be some relationship between the difficulties and the fact that the banks compete with unregulated investment vehicles. However, this wording is uninformative and puzzling in that it does not clearly indicate what the difficulties are or why they are mentioned in relation to the competition. Furthermore, the singular verb has does not agree with the plural subject restrictions.

Option A: The singular verb has does not agree with the plural subject restrictions. The wording is indirect and ambiguous. It could beintended to mean that the restrictions have made it difficult for savings banks to compete with the unregulated investment vehicles or that the restrictions have caused some unspecified difficulties for the savings banks. On either interpretation, with this wording, as can have two different meanings: during the time that or because.

Option B: The singular verb has does not agree with the plural subject restrictions. The wording does not clearly indicate whether the difficulties are related to the banks' competition with unregulated investment vehicles.

Option C: This wording is indirect and ambiguous. It could be intended to mean that the restrictions have made it difficult for savings banks to compete with the unregulated investment vehicles or that the restrictions have caused some unspecified difficulties for the savings banks. On either interpretation, with this wording, as can have two different meanings: during the time that or because.

Option D: Correct. The verbs all agree with their subjects. The wording is clear, concise, and direct and uses the correct idiomatic form make it difficult for X to do Y.

Option E: This wording is indirect and ambiguous. It could be intended to mean that the restrictions have made it difficult for savings banks to compete with the unregulated investment vehicles or that the restrictions have caused some unspecified difficulties for the savings banks. On either interpretation, with this wording, as can have two different meanings: during the time that or because.

The correct answer is D.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers h [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
techloverforever wrote:
In option D, the it refers to "to compete..."

The it in option E doesn't really refer to anything in the sentence.

Hello AjiteshArun,
I was wondering whether you could help me with the following issue,
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the "it" in answer choice D called expletive it?, so

this one,
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers have made it difficult for savings banks to compete with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates.

could be also written like this, by removing "it" and placing the actual thing that "it" replaces
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers have made to compete with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates difficult for saving banks

My question is the following, when we want to test what "it" refers to , and we replace it with the phrase , should it make grammatical sense except for meaning? What I mean is, "Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers have made to compete with such unregulated" I think this is not grammatically correct (the correct should be competing with such unregulated... right?) , however the reason we accept it is because meaning wise it makes sense even if it is not grammatically perfect when we try to replace "it"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello AjiteshArun,
I was wondering whether you could help me with the following issue,
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the "it" in answer choice D called expletive it?, so

this one,
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers have made it difficult for savings banks to compete with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates.

could be also written like this, by removing "it" and placing the actual thing that "it" replaces
Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers have made to compete with such unregulated investment vehicles as money market certificates difficult for saving banks

My question is the following, when we want to test what "it" refers to , and we replace it with the phrase , should it make grammatical sense except for meaning? What I mean is, "Federally imposed restrictions on how much they may pay small savers have made to compete with such unregulated" I think this is not grammatically correct (the correct should be competing with such unregulated... right?) , however the reason we accept it is because meaning wise it makes sense even if it is not grammatically perfect when we try to replace "it"?

Hi UNSTOPPABLE12,

Here is a very short example:
1. He found RC difficult.

(1) is straightforward. It is ~ "he found {something} difficult".

2. He found it difficult to stop reading the passage.

In (2), he again found {something} difficult. But what exactly did he find difficult? "To stop reading the passage".

The reason we go for (1) with a simple noun like RC but switch to (2) for a more complicated ("heavy") thought like to stop reading the passage is that (generally) it is easier to understand something that is "right-shifted" (I don't remember the exact name for the process). For example, in the previous sentence, I went with "it is easier to understand something that is 'right-shifted'" instead of "to understand something that is 'right-shifted' is easier". The final point here is that choosing to shift a "heavy" component of the sentence to the right is not always a question of making something easier to understand. In some cases, it is mandatory. This is why you may feel that switching the "heavy" component to the left results in a sentence that doesn't sound good (because (a) it usually doesn't, and (b) in some cases, it isn't possible).

I'm not aware of any simple way to decide when it is okay to not use an it to move something to the right, so more opinions on this would be welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
what is it referring to in option D .also if in meaning wise in option c imposed restriction have made difficulties why it is wrong
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abbsan wrote:
what is it referring to in option D .also if in meaning wise in option c imposed restriction have made difficulties why it is wrong

The pronoun "it" in (D) doesn't really refer to anything, making it a non-referential pronoun. Non-referential pronouns are somewhat rare on the GMAT, but we have seen them in a handful of correct OAs. (For more on that, check out this post.)

As for (C), the meaning of the "as" is a bit confusing. Does it mean "while"? As in, "restrictions have made difficulties for savings banks while they are competing..."? If so, it would seem to suggest that the difficulties only arise WHILE the banks are competing with unregulated investment vehicles.

Or does the "as" mean "because"? If so, it would suggest that "restrictions have made difficulties for savings banks because they are competing...".

These two interpretations have completely different meanings. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but the meaning is much clearer in choice (D) and isn't really open to interpretation.

Also, (C) introduces another an extra, somewhat confusing pronoun ("they"). So you could argue that both (C) and (D) have one confusing pronoun. The meaning/clarity issue is a much bigger factor.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts