Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [25]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Although Moliere's satirical play Tartuffe was condemned by his condem [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Although Moliere's satirical play Tartuffe was condemned by his contemporaries, he is now considered the writer of one of the most famous French plays of all time.

A. was condemned by his contemporaries, he is now considered the writer of
antecedents of 'he' not clear, it can be a,b,c anyone.. it cannot refer back to a possesive noun

B. was condemned by his contemporaries, it is now considered
this removes the pronoun error.. CORRECT

C. resulted in condemnation by contemporaries, he is now considered to be the writer of
same as A.. considered to be is wrong idiom,.. reulted in is awkward construction

D. resulted in condemnation of him by contemporaries, it is now considered to be
same as C

E. condemned him by his contemporaries, it is now considered
the first is awkward in construction
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [3]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Although Moliere's satirical play Tartuffe was condemned by his condem [#permalink]
Kudos
Although Moliere's satirical play Tartuffe was condemned by his contemporaries, he is now considered the writer of one of the most famous French plays of all time.

Errors in the original sentence: "he" does not have a logical antecedent. Moliere's is in possessive form and thus can not be the antecedent of "he".

Incorrect. As described above.

Correct.

C. resulted in condemnation by contemporaries, he is now considered to be the writer of

Incorrect. Meaning error here with "he is now considered". Moliere can not be regarded as " one of the most famous French plays of all time", the phrase should refer to Tartuffe. The phrase "resulted in condemnation" is wordy. "Considered to be" is unidiomatic. "Considered" is not followed by "to be" or "as" in GMAT SC.

D. resulted in condemnation of him by contemporaries, it is now considered to be

Incorrect. The phrase "resulted in condemnation of him by contemporaries" is wordy. "Considered to be" is unidiomatic. "Considered" is not followed by "to be" or "as" in GMAT SC.

Incorrect. "Condemned him by his contemporaries" is illogical. 'him' doesnt have an antecedent. Illogical meaning as it was not Moliere who was condemned but it was his play Tartuffe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

antecedents of 'he' not clear, it can be a,b,c anyone.. it cannot refer back to a possesive noun

same as A.. considered to be is wrong idiom,.. reulted in is awkward construction

same as C

pronoun 'his' doesn't have any antecedent, isn't that an error?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sidoknowia wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

same as C

pronoun 'his' doesn't have any antecedent, isn't that an error?

The antecedent of "his" is "Moliere's". A possessive pronoun may have a possessive noun as an antecedent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
sayantanc2k
If you can solve this doubt

Considered To Be is wrong idiom. Concrete Rule?
Considered As is correct idiom right?

Thank you
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravi19012015 wrote:
sayantanc2k
If you can solve this doubt

Considered To Be is wrong idiom. Concrete Rule?
Considered As is correct idiom right?

Thank you

Both are wrong. The correct idiom is consider X Y ( no "as" or "to be"). e.g.,
I consider you my friend... correct
I consider you to be my friend... incorrect
I consider you as my friend... incorrect

(However if I recollect correctly, there is at least one old official question, in which "consider to be" was used in the correct option. I shall revert to you if I find that question.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

The subject is play not Moliere, he is dangling pronoun.

Correct annswer with correct intented meaning with correct grammer.

The subject is play not Moliere, he is dangling pronoun.

The play was condemed not the writer

the paly was condemed and not the writer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [0]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Although Moliere's satirical play Tartuffe was condemned by his condem [#permalink]

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The subject of the initial clause is the "play," which must therefore be the subject of the main part of the sentence (after the comma). The correct pronoun to use to refer to an inanimate thing is "it" rather than "he."

(A) This answer is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. This choice correctly uses the pronoun "it" to refer to the inanimate thing "play."

(C) This choice incorrectly uses the pronoun "he" to refer to the inanimate thing "play." In addition, the correct idiom is "considered X" rather than "considered to be X." Finally, the phrase "resulted in condemnation by contemporaries" is awkward compared with the original sentence, and does not make clear exactly what or who (is it the play or the person?) is being condemned.

(D) This choice correctly uses the pronoun "it" to refer to the inanimate thing "play" but introduces the object pronoun "him" which cannot refer to a possessive noun. Logically, the pronoun "him" should refer to Moliere but Moliere is not in the sentence; only "Moliere's satirical play" is in the sentence. In addition, the correct idiom is "considered X" rather than "considered to be X." Finally, the phrase "resulted in condemnation of him by contemporaries" is awkward and wordy compared with the original sentence, and also changes its meaning by asserting that the person, rather than the play, was condemned.

(E) This choice correctly uses the pronoun "it" to refer to the inanimate thing "play" but introduces the object pronoun "him" which cannot refer to a possessive noun. Logically, the pronoun "him" should refer to Moliere but Moliere is not in the sentence; only "Moliere's satirical play" is in the sentence. Finally, the sentence seems to suggest that the play did the actual condemning.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts