Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen [#permalink]
Though I went ahead with E, I do have a doubt. In this particular problem,
Say the number of flights were initially 150, each with a capacity of 1000 pax. So the number of passengers incoming is 1,50,000
Now, there is a reduction of 10% in the no. of flights i.e 0.9*150= 135.
Say the airlines increased the number of passengers from 1000 to 1050. So now the number of passenger incoming is 1050*135 = 141,750, which is still less than the initial number.

So the argument stands still even when option E is negated. Shouldn't the argument fail when the assumption is negated ?

Please help me out GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354 eakabuah mira93 VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AnirudhChalla wrote:
Though I went ahead with E, I do have a doubt. In this particular problem,
Say the number of flights were initially 150, each with a capacity of 1000 pax. So the number of passengers incoming is 1,50,000
Now, there is a reduction of 10% in the no. of flights i.e 0.9*150= 135.
Say the airlines increased the number of passengers from 1000 to 1050. So now the number of passenger incoming is 1050*135 = 141,750, which is still less than the initial number.

So the argument stands still even when option E is negated. Shouldn't the argument fail when the assumption is negated ?

Please help me out GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354 eakabuah mira93 VeritasKarishma

It is logical that if the flight capacity is increased to negate the effect of fewer flights, it will do that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

Hi experts, Can you please explain why B is wrong? I am still very confused.

B. Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself.

this is my though process, if most of the tourists use Beach City airport as a transition stop, then it means on those flights, not many are tourists who actually were to spent money and contribute to the local revenue. So you kinda have to assume that.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FlyingWhale wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

Hi experts, Can you please explain why B is wrong? I am still very confused.

B. Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself.

this is my though process, if most of the tourists use Beach City airport as a transition stop, then it means on those flights, not many are tourists who actually were to spent money and contribute to the local revenue. So you kinda have to assume that.

We know from the passage that Beach City's operating budget "depends heavily on taxes generated by tourist spending, and most of the tourists come by plane." Based on this, the author argues that reducing the number of daily flights would reduce the city's revenue.

It doesn't matter whether those flights are exclusively filled with people who are heading for Beach City. Let's say only a small fraction of passengers are going to stay in Beach City -- well, according to the passage those passengers generate a bunch of revenue for the city. Reducing the number of daily flights would still reduce the number of passengers going to Beach City, and this would cut into the city's revenue. So, the author's argument still stands even if the planes aren't packed with Beach City tourists.

Because the author's argument holds whether (B) is true or not, (B) is not an assumption on which the argument depends.

Compare that with (E):
Quote:
(E) The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would not include an increase in the number of passengers per flight.

The author argues that fewer flights means fewer passengers which means less revenue.

But what if fewer flights does NOT mean that fewer passengers actually arrive in Beach City?

If the airlines are able to pack more tourists into each plane, then the reduced number of flights won't result in reduced revenue for the city. So, we HAVE to assume that the new safety rules won't result in an increased number of passengers per flight.

Because (E) MUST be true in order for the author's argument to make any sense, (E) is an assumption on which the argument depends.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Quote:
A There are no periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed

Option A,if we negate, says that there is a chance that 10 % reduction can be compensated during the day.

Quote:
Fact :- In consequence, the airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights than currently use the airport daily.

AndrewN It is given as a fact in the argument that if earlier 100 flights operated in a day, now that number will come down to 90.
We cannot question the fact that is given in the argument.

I rejected option A based on my above (highlighted in red) analysis.

Am I correct ??
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
Quote:
A There are no periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed

Option A,if we negate, says that there is a chance that 10 % reduction can be compensated during the day.

Quote:
Fact :- In consequence, the airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights than currently use the airport daily.

AndrewN It is given as a fact in the argument that if earlier 100 flights operated in a day, now that number will come down to 90.
We cannot question the fact that is given in the argument.

I rejected option A based on my above (highlighted in red) analysis.

Am I correct ??

Hello, warrior1991. All you would have to do to negate (A) is change no in no periods to some. You are correct in saying that a premise or fact cannot be refuted in a CR passage: only a conclusion based on such a premise may be debated. The problem with (A) is that it does not directly touch on the argument itself: the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget. Whether, during certain hours, fewer flights may be able to take off (thereby increasing the interval between them) is an unrelated concern. Ultimately, a reduction in total flights per day is at stake, so a necessary assumption must operate within this constraint, shedding light directly on the link between the number of tourists who can visit and spend money and thereby contribute to the city's operating budget.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question.

- Andrew
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
WillGetIt wrote:
Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen considerably the minimum time between takeoffs fiom the airport. In consequence, the airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights than currently use the airport daily. The city’s operating budget depends heavily on taxes generated by tourist spending, and most of the tourists come by plane. Therefore, the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

The argument depends on assuming which of the following?

B Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself.

C If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will not result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City.

D Increasing the minimum time between takeoffs is the only way to achieve necessary safety improvements without a large expenditure by the city government on airport enhancements.

E The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would not include an increase in the number of passengers per flight.

"Please hit kudos, if you like this post"

Respnding to a pm:

Premises:
New rules will increase the minimum time between takeoffs (say from 10 mins to 15 mins)
The airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights (Airport capacity will decrease by 10%)
City’s operating budget depends on taxes generated by plane-using tourists.

Conclusion: So new rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

To arrive at the conclusion, you are making a lot of assumptions:
1. Decrease in capacity will actually lead to decrease in number of flights.
2. Decrease in number of flights will actually lead to decrease in number of tourists in the city
3. Decrease in number of tourists will actually lead to decrease in revenue (tourists will not start spending extra)
4. Decrease in tourist revenue will actually decrease revenue available for budget (it will not be compensated in another way).

Look at the options:

There is a problem with (A). There could be periods of day during which interval between flights is more - say the 12 noon to 4 pm slot. But still, it is possible that the number of flights are reduced, say in the peak hours of 7 pm to 10 pm. We don't know whether it is feasible to readjust flight timings to occupy free slots. Hence, we cannot assume that there are no free slots.

E The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would not include an increase in the number of passengers per flight.
This is our point 2 given above. We are assuming that decrease in number of flights will lead to decrease in number of tourists. So we are assuming that the reduced flights will not carry increased number of passengers.
This is correct.

Answer (E)

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
Don't understand how E is a foolproof answer.

Conclusion is revenue will drop, this is supported by the fact the number of flights will decrease by 10%.
So you may think, less flights, therefore obviously less people, therefore less spending and revenue drops. Okay.

E negated says well what if the response to the safety rules would be an increase in the number of passengers per flight.
This doesn't change the conclusion though. What if there are 10% less flights, and on these flights there is one additional passenger per flight. Even if they spend proportionally the same, you could still very well see a drop in the revenue. The addition of those passengers might not necessarily be enough to overcome the 10% drop in the number of flights.

Say you have 10 flights, each with 20 people, spending 10 pounds. That is 2000 pounds revenue.
Now 10% of flights are gone, so only 9 flights, now each with 21 people instead of 20 (so an increase). Now there are 189 people in total, spending the same 10 pounds. That is 1890 revenue. It still dropped.

Surely the answer has to say something like the increase in passengers per flight would be greater than the total number of passengers before the 10% reduction.

Assumptions often do not have exact numerical values.

Point: If you reduce the number of flights by 10%, number of tourists will reduce. (by what percent will tourists reduce, he doesn't say.)

Counter point: You are assuming that reduction in flights will not lead to more tourists in each flight (whether the flights increase their capacity or are running below capacity so more tourists will fit into each plane).

You don't need to say that increase in number of tourists in each flight must be 10% (actually slightly more). We don't know what will be the decrease in the number of tourists if flights reduce by 10%.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen considerably the minimum time between takeoffs from the airport. In consequence, the airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights than currently use the airport daily. The city’s operating budget depends heavily on taxes generated by tourist spending, and most of the tourists come by plane. Therefore, the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

(A) There are no periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed.
(B) Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself.
(C) If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will not result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City.
(D) Increasing the minimum time between takeoffs is the only way to achieve necessary safety improvements without a large expenditure by the city government on airport enhancements.
(E) The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would not include an increase in the number of passengers per flight.

By removing the information that most passengers come by plane ( maybe they come by Train, Bus ,private vehicles). Can the answer become C with this change?
C has relatively and argument has heavily, won't this directly influence our conclusion now?

Please give your opinion VeritasKarishma AndrewN

thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Quote:
Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen considerably the minimum time between takeoffs from the airport. In consequence, the airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights than currently use the airport daily. The city’s operating budget depends heavily on taxes generated by tourist spending, and most of the tourists come by plane. Therefore, the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

(A) There are no periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed.
(B) Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself.
(C) If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will not result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City.
(D) Increasing the minimum time between takeoffs is the only way to achieve necessary safety improvements without a large expenditure by the city government on airport enhancements.

By removing the information that most passengers come by plane ( maybe they come by Train, Bus ,private vehicles). Can the answer become C with this change?
C has relatively and argument has heavily, won't this directly influence our conclusion now?

thanks!

You may know this about me by now, mSKR, but I generally discourage tinkering with official questions. Particularly in passage-based questions, if you change the passage, you have fundamentally altered the linear logic that holds that passage together, and any argument you wish to make could then be tailored to your alteration. In this case, if you remove the part about most tourists coming to Beach City by plane, then why would we care, necessarily, about the proposed new safety rules concerning the airport? GMAC™ invests enough time and money to ensure that these questions hold up to scrutiny. If you have read through the thread and the answer choices, correct or incorrect, make sense to you, then I would suggest you let them be.

This is not to discourage you from exploring different ways to arrive at a correct conclusion. On the Quant side of things, I often encourage people on the forum to explore alternative ways of arriving at a solution. (In fact, I wrote one such post earlier today.) I believe that exploring such alternatives demonstrates proficiency with a particular topic, and that the probability will decrease that such a person will have a deer-in-the-headlights moment if, on test day, he or she blanks on a formula. Likewise, I would encourage you in Verbal to see if you can find multiple ways of disproving incorrect answers to arrive at a correct one. Sometimes a word can make all the difference, and maybe others have not drawn attention to it yet. (You may remember one such post that I wrote recently in response to that difficult CR question on Renaissance buildings in Palitito, in which I focused on the word come in one answer choice versus the phrase they are in in another.) Have fun and see what you can find. The questions are not fully discussed simply because the community or Experts may have reached a consensus.

I know this might not be the response you were hoping for, but I always aim to point you and others in what I think is the right direction.

- Andrew
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Quote:

thanks!

No point thinking on these lines. A slight change in the argument, even one word, can change everything. The options are written keeping every word of the argument in mind such that exactly one option is correct and all four are incorrect. It should not become a case of "strength of correctness". That is why making high quality CR questions is a difficult task.
From a student's perspective, if-then changes in CR questions will only lead to more confusion. Stick to evaluating every word as given.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
CONCLUSION - New safety rules lead to reduction in the revenue available for operating budget

PRETHINKING -

IN WHAT SCENARIO - New safety rules do not reduce the revenue available for operating budget

GIVEN -

1) The safety rules increase the minimum time between takeoffs
2) Airport gets 10% less flights
3) City's operating budget is dependent on taxes by tourist spending
4) >50% tourists come by plane

FALSIFICATION QUESTION - Decrease in the number of flights do not lead to reduction in the number of tourists

ASSUMPTION - Decrease in the number of flights reduces the number of tourists

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) Irrelevant to conclusion
B) Not related to conclusion
C) Spending is affected be it little
D) Does not relate the operating budget
E) CORRECT - Inline with our prethinking
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
Need expert inputs on below:

My reasoning on why C is correct ->
"If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will not result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City."

Would mean -> The assumption is that after adoption, the reduction in the number of tourists coming in to the city will not largely come from people who spend less -> this implies the reduction in the number of tourists will come largely from those who are spending equal to before or more -> this is exactly what the stimulus is implying, that there will be reduction in number of tourists who spend a lot. If there would be reduction in number of tourists spending lesser it would not affect the budget as much

Problems with E: There are multiple problems with E.
The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would not include an increase in the number of passengers per flight.
1) Would not include an increase = implies tourist numbers would remain constant or decrease. Will it affect the budget if tourist numbers remain largely flat? +/- 2-5%? We don't know and its not clear
2) Increase in the number of passengers -> passengers does not equal tourists. Do we have any details on how many % of passengers are tourists?

CR questions are so mind numbing. The reasoning for E has been correct for many other CR questions. Yet here the vagueness of it implies accuracy/correctness. I am so feeling so disheartened.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
WillGetIt wrote:
Proposed new safety rules for the Beach City airport would lengthen considerably the minimum time between takeoffs fiom the airport. In consequence, the airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights than currently use the airport daily. The city’s operating budget depends heavily on taxes generated by tourist spending, and most of the tourists come by plane. Therefore, the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

B Few, if any, of the tourists who use the Beach City airport do so when their main destination is a neighboring community and not Beach City itself.

C If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will not result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City.

D Increasing the minimum time between takeoffs is the only way to achieve necessary safety improvements without a large expenditure by the city government on airport enhancements.

Respnding to a pm:

Premises:
New rules will increase the minimum time between takeoffs (say from 10 mins to 15 mins)
The airport would be able to accommodate 10 percent fewer flights (Airport capacity will decrease by 10%)
City’s operating budget depends on taxes generated by plane-using tourists.

Conclusion: So new rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

To arrive at the conclusion, you are making a lot of assumptions:
1. Decrease in capacity will actually lead to decrease in number of flights.
2. Decrease in number of flights will actually lead to decrease in number of tourists in the city
3. Decrease in number of tourists will actually lead to decrease in revenue (tourists will not start spending extra)
4. Decrease in tourist revenue will actually decrease revenue available for budget (it will not be compensated in another way).

Look at the options:

There is a problem with (A). There could be periods of day during which interval between flights is more - say the 12 noon to 4 pm slot. But still, it is possible that the number of flights are reduced, say in the peak hours of 7 pm to 10 pm. We don't know whether it is feasible to readjust flight timings to occupy free slots. Hence, we cannot assume that there are no free slots.

This is our point 2 given above. We are assuming that decrease in number of flights will lead to decrease in number of tourists. So we are assuming that the reduced flights will not carry increased number of passengers.
This is correct.

Answer (E)

Is that even practical? A plane has a fixed number of seats and cannot carry more passengers than the number of seats. Does in any way can we infer that the planes will not fly until all its seats have been filled? I don't think the civil aviation industry works in this way?

How are you going to enhance the number of planes? You cannot make people stand and travel. Can you?

Why (in this case) Option D " Increasing the minimum time between takeoffs is the only way to achieve necessary safety improvements without a large expenditure by the city government on airport enhancements." is not a correct answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
mmelendez wrote:
WillGetIt wrote:

First look at the stimulus, and understand the argument

After you decompose the argument into premises and conclusion, detect which are one, and fully understand how the passage flows, then it is necessary pre-think the answer.

For this, think about how can the conclusion not be true. Our conclusion is that the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will reduce the revenue available for the operating budget so now think about possible scenarios where this might not be true.

1-What if proposed legislation in fact will not necessarily mean lower revenues, is that possible? if it is possible then how? are the same number of passenger going to fly, is the ticket price going to increase while maintaining the same number of passengers?

Once you start thinking of possible weakeners, then you predict your assumption that such weakeners are not going to happen. In doing so, you are "protecting your argument" and that is what an assumption really does. "An assumption (the hidden idea or premise we take for granted when reading our argument) must be true for the conclusion to hold true.

So next step is to find some prediction similar to your pre-thinking analysis, eliminating wrong answer choices i.e. out of scope, too extreme, too broad, or simple re-statements (These are the usual wrong answers in such questions)

Answer choice E, IF we negate it, it means that "The response to the adoption of the new safety rules would include an increase in the number of passengers per flight. If it includes an increase, such increase could either cancel out the negative effect or bring even more customers and hence more money per flight. Simply our conclusion would fall apart.

Answer choice A: There are no periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed. This could be true but it is not necessarily true. If we negate this option, meaning that There are periods of the day during which the interval between flights taking off from the airport is significantly greater than the currently allowed and we critically think as how this affect our conclusion, we see that this option does not make the argument less likely. Even if there are no periods greater than the currently allowed, this reasoning does not give me the connection that the conclusion states that the proposed legislation will lead to decreased revenues.

As a final remark, focus on your conclusion and deconstruct the argument, understanding how it flows, how its premises lead to conclusion and what "jumps"of reasoning did the author make.

With practice, it will be much easier to recognize the same patterns

keep it up :)

Hit for kudos if you liked my explanation ;-)

I incorrectly negated E (my negation: would include a decrease). at first I negated E as you suggested, and it did weaken the argument, but when I re-negated the choice incorrectly, I found A as a better choice, which I still am not convinced by.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32839 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
increase in the number of passengers per flight is the key here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
The answer to this question looks like a weakener at best, but definitely not an assumption. I don't understand how Option E is the correct answer choice. Suppose we negate option E and say that number of passengers per flight will increase. Can we confidently say that it would be compensate the revenue generated for the total number of passengers that has been reduced due to 10% fewer flights being running now. What if the number of passengers per flight increases only 2% such that it doesn't compensate for the number of passengers reduced because of 10% fewer flights? In that case, argument doesn't fail on negation, rather it would still mean that revenue is still low compared to earlier scenario.

What I understand from assumption questions, it should be MUST true for the argument to hold, unlike weakener questions for which even casting a doubt help us evaluate the right answer choice.

Can someone shed light on this please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
KarishmaB

Curious to know what you think about this. I have seen many arguments which use the world 'significantly' in their main conclusions. If this argument were to use the word 'significantly', then would option C be correct as well?

Conclusion: Therefore, the proposed new safety rules, if adopted, will significantly reduce the revenue available for the operating budget.

However, the conclusion has not used the word 'significantly'. Therefore, even if there's a slight/not a significant reduction in the revenue the argument will hold true.

Negating option C.

(C) If the proposed safety rules are adopted, the reduction in tourist numbers will result mainly from a reduction in the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City.

Even if the reduction in revenue is going to happen from the number of tourists who spend relatively little in Beach City, the revenue will decrease- might not be a significant decrease but is still a decrease. Therefore, the argument still holds, and this option is not an assumption.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts