Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [15]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Psychologist: We asked 100 entrepreneurs and 100 business managers to [#permalink]
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
Thus (C) seems to be better than the others ...

I chose D as well for POE; why should the success of managers in their previous ventures help to demonstrate that confident people are more likely going to start a business? Perhaps working as a manager is considered to be a business itself? I was thinking about small businesses such as local shops and I was associating managers with big corporations -which they may not own.

what do you think?

Extremely sorry it was a Typo , the answer according to my logic will be D

Given the statement we gotta strengthen the conclusion that " overconfident are more likely to attempt to start a business " ...

We have the information given here which states that Overconfident People are " ...more likely to attempt to start a business in spite of the enormous odds against success .... "

To support this statement we have to show something which supports it , past history about such behaviour to my logic supports the statement..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Send PM
Re: Psychologist: We asked 100 entrepreneurs and 100 business managers to [#permalink]
Abhishek009 wrote:
Extremely sorry it was a Typo , the answer according to my logic will be D

Don't worry my friend, I wasn't pointing that out it was glaring from your reasoning that you were talking about answer choice D.
I will brainstorm on this one in the morning, fresh brain should help.

"may the odds be in your favor."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
Thus (C) seems to be better than the others ...

I chose D as well for POE; why should the success of managers' previous ventures help to demonstrate that confident people are more likely going to start a business? Perhaps working as a manager is considered to be a business itself? I was thinking about small businesses such as local shops and I was associating managers with big corporations -which they may not own.

what do you think?

The argument is postulating a correlation between confidence and entrepreneurship (starting a business). The study's findings establish that the entrepreneurs were more confident than the managers and concludes that it must be so that confident people attempt to start a business. Answer D strengthens this correlation by saying that the confident amongst the business managers were also people who attempted to start a business in the past (its not about the success of the business, it is about the attempt), lending support to the correlation posited in the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I chose D because It is mentioned that entrepreneur is more confident than the business manager and in order to own a business one should have overconfidence. A person is entrepreneur because he owns a business and he has overconfidence. so if a manager has attempted to start business he has entrepreneurial traits which means he should have overconfidence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The psychologist says that overconfident persons are more likely to be entrepreneurs (i.e. would have attempted to start a business).
D strongly supports this by showing that the most overconfident amongst the business managers had in fact been entrepreneurs earlier!

All other answers are irrelevant. E is somewhat close, but it talks about confidence in one's business acumen than general confidence (the latter is what the psychologist tries to correlate with the chances of starting a business)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
is it for sure that business managers were entrepreneurs earlier?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishnu440 wrote:
is it for sure that business managers were entrepreneurs earlier?

Could not understand your query. Could you elaborate?

Option D states that the most overconfident business managers attempted to start business, i.e. tried to be entrepreneurs; not all business managers tried to be entrepreneurs before, but the overconfident ones did........ Is this the clarification you are asking for ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
I am teetering on this one; I eventually got the right answer but I am still baffled. Could you provide some in depth analysis? Good luck.

Psychologist: We asked 100 entrepreneurs and 100 business managers to answer various questions and rate how confident they were that their responses were correct. While members of each group were overconfident, in general the entrepreneurs were much more so than the business managers. This indicates that people who are especially overconfident are more likely to attempt to start a business in spite of the enormous odds against success than people who are less confident.

Which one of the following, if true, lends the most support to the psychologist’s conclusion?

(A)The questions asked of the entrepreneurs and business managers included personal, political, and business questions.
(B)At least some of the entrepreneurs surveyed had accurately determined before attempting to start their businesses what the odds were against their attempts being successful.
(C)Another survey showed that degree of confidence was highly correlated with success in business.
(D)The business managers who were most overconfident were found to have attempted to start businesses in the past.
(E)How confident each person surveyed was that his or her answers to the questions asked were correct corresponded closely to that person’s confidence in his or her business acumen.

Can someone please explain what's wrong with E? I was battling between D and E but went with E because it related confidence on answers with confidence on business sense. Higher the confidence in answers. higher the confidence in business sense and thus despite odds over confident people would venture into the business.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
A ~ what kind of ques asked does nt indicate anything abt characterstics of entrepreneur.

C~ just opp of the premises..ques given that odds of sucess against entrepreneur

D imo correct

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
Send PM
I was stuck between option D and E.I eliminated option E as it discusses about general people. We are only concerned with entrepreneurs and business manager.

Is my reasoning correct?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Kudos