GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 20 May 2018, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychologists have studied the impact a person’s attitude

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Psychologists have studied the impact a person’s attitude [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 09:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:22) correct 71% (01:52) wrong based on 164 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Psychologists have studied the impact a person’s attitude has on his ability to accomplish tasks. In one study, a group of college students was outfitted with contraptions designed to administer soothing heat pulses to the students’ neck and shoulder muscles. The students were told that the pulses would enhance their performance of in-class assignments. Only half of these contraptions worked, but neither the students nor the psychologists were told which students would actually receive these pulses. This component of the experiment is often frustrated, however, because ___________

Which one of the following selections, if it is true, completes the sentence most appropriately?

(A) frequently the faces of the students who actually receive the pulses become a little flushed.
(B) students who believe they are receiving the warm pulses do better on their class assignments.
(C) students who participate in the studies are volunteers who must told that some of them will not receive the heat pulses.
(D) many students will not complete the experiment if the sessions last too long.
(E) many of the participating students suffer from tension headaches which readily respond to the heat pulses.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Psychologists have studied the impact a person’s attitude [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 08:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Now I really don't know how I got that one right!
Here is my thinking:
This component of the study is often frustrated because:
We have to find answer choice where student or psychologist won't know who is receiving the pulses, as students' attitude will change and so will their ability to accomplish task.
Correct answer choice will then find out something by which we get to know who is receiving the pulses

(A) frequently the faces of the students who actually receive the pulses become a little flushed (So, does this mean that we actually get to know who is receiving the pulses? Not sure, move on!)
(B) students who believe they are receiving the warm pulses do better on their class assignments (If this is the case, why would the component be frustrated, as this proves the first line of argument to be correct?)
(C) students who participate in the studies are volunteers who must told that some of them will not receive the heat pulses.(What? Its irrelevant!
(D) many students will not complete the experiment if the sessions last too long.Again, What?!? Its irrelevant!
(E) many of the participating students suffer from tension headaches which readily respond to the heat pulses.So this is similar to A, we get to know who is actually receiving the pusles, as the one receiving the pulse has the headache

No further clue, thought for a while and selected A.
Experts, help me find out why E is incorrect...
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 11:03
Can somebody please help with the OE?

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 22:50
AkshayKS21 wrote:
Now I really don't know how I got that one right!
Here is my thinking:
This component of the study is often frustrated because:
We have to find answer choice where student or psychologist won't know who is receiving the pulses, as students' attitude will change and so will their ability to accomplish task.
Correct answer choice will then find out something by which we get to know who is receiving the pulses

(A) frequently the faces of the students who actually receive the pulses become a little flushed (So, does this mean that we actually get to know who is receiving the pulses? Not sure, move on!)
(B) students who believe they are receiving the warm pulses do better on their class assignments (If this is the case, why would the component be frustrated, as this proves the first line of argument to be correct?)
(C) students who participate in the studies are volunteers who must told that some of them will not receive the heat pulses.(What? Its irrelevant!
(D) many students will not complete the experiment if the sessions last too long.Again, What?!? Its irrelevant!
(E) many of the participating students suffer from tension headaches which readily respond to the heat pulses.So this is similar to A, we get to know who is actually receiving the pusles, as the one receiving the pulse has the headache

No further clue, thought for a while and selected A.
Experts, help me find out why E is incorrect...

Hi,

This is how I analysed too. However if you see choice E then it says that students who participated had a history of tension headaches. And this responds to the heat pulses. But if such as student gets a headache then the observer cannot know if it is due to the device or due to history. Hence these students are exposed..Possibly this is why it is less stressful or irritating. Where as option A clearly exposes the students.

I however got the answer wrong. And had marked the E.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 06:11
C-
Because those who are not intended to receive the heat pulses will also receive them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 06:50
E cancels out since "many" of the students get headaches not "all" hence this cannot be the reason.
C & D are irrelevant and B actually would work in favour of the experiment analysis and not frustrate the component.
Hence A by elimination.
Re: Psychologists have studied the impact a person’s attitude   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2018, 06:50

Psychologists have studied the impact a person’s attitude

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap