GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 00:54
mikemcgarry wrote:
vishnuns39620 wrote:
Great question Mike! My only query is - Would this really be a 600-700 level question, or is it closer to a 700 & above kind of question? Your thoughts? Thank you again!

Dear vishnuns39620,
To be honest, one of the hardest things for me to estimate is the difficulty level of a question I write. Once I write a question, the solution is obvious to me, so that makes it relatively hard to determine its objective difficulty. When we enter questions such as this into the Magoosh product, the computer tallies the cumulative results, and over time that's how we determine the difficulty level of a question, similar to the way GMAC determines difficulty through releasing experimental questions.
When I enter any question on GC, the system, by default, requires me to enter a difficulty level, so basically, I am just taking my best guess --- I often guess conservatively, the lower of two choices. I could see an argument for 600-700 level or for 700+ level. I would be very interested to hear what other users say about the difficulty of this question.
Mike :-)

Dear mikemcgarry

IMHO, I highly recommend to label it as 600-700. The answer choices are really somehow easy to eliminate. It does not have merit of 700 where you stuck with 2-3 choices that need too close attention.

Thanks
Magoosh Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 14:15
" all of the citizens" is the main conclusion => A is correct b/c A directly links with the conclusion.
C is a trap. Although the argument talks about Salicetiococcus, the argument only mentions a similar case; therefore, the argument itself is not out of scope. Also, the argument never talks about the fatality rate => C is wrong.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 11:50
[quote="mikemcgarry"]
Public Health Official: After several years of vaccinating all of the citizens of this state for Tacitus’ Disease, a highly infectious virus, state hospitals have cut costs by no longer administering this vaccine, starting at the beginning of this year. A state senator defended the position, arguing that after several years with zero incidence of the disease in the state, its citizens were no longer at risk. This is a flawed argument. Our state imports meats and produce from countries with high incidences of diseases for which our country has vaccines. Three years ago, when we reduced the use of the Salicetiococcus vaccines, a small outbreak of Salicetiococcus among young children, fortunately without fatalities, encouraged us to resume use of the vaccines at the previous levels.

The public health official’s statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?
(A) Young children of the state will be at risk for Tacitus’ Disease. -Correct. The children as they got infected by other type of virus, will also get infected by this virus if the vaccination is stopped.
(B) Some of the meats imported to this state do not have adequate refrigeration during the shipping process. -refrigeration? Out of scope
(C) Tacitus’ Disease is a much deadlier disease than Salicetiococcus, and has a correspondingly higher fatality rate. -fatality rate? out of scope
(D) No food products produced within the state bear any contaminants that could lead to either Tacitus’ Disease or Salicetiococcus. -Tricky, close contender. The passage states that the mean imported from outside may be contaminated. But it doesn't say that the food prepared in the country cannot be contaminated.
(E) The cost of providing all citizens of the state with the Tacitus’ Disease vaccine places an undue burden on the budget of state health agencies. -cost? out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Re: Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 11:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Public Health Official : After several years of vaccinating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap