GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of hig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Sep 2018, 21:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:35) correct 47% (02:05) wrong based on 364 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, these being a distinct characteristic.

A. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, these

B. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics of the songs

C. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics

D. often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation as well as aggressive, high-tempo, and short songs, these

E. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics as well as stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Originally posted by reto on 03 Aug 2015, 22:31.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Sep 2018, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 03:42
A. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, these --- 'These' has no proper reference- Is it referring to the lyrics or the songs?
B. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics of the songs --- The lyrics of the songs? Songs with lyrics is the original intent.
C. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics – Correct parallelism with the songs having three parallel elements, the last one marked by the conjunction ‘and’ – best of the lot
D. often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation as well as aggressive, high-tempo, and short songs, these --- 'These' is wrong
E. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics as well as stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics -- The songs have three parallel elements of equal importance. Making them into just two, with the last one as an additional info is altering the intent. If we do so for some reason, an ‘and ‘should be inserted between ‘political, anti-establishment’

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
Re: Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of hig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 11:13
the sentence is trying to convey 3 characteristics of Punk Rock Music :
- High-tempo
- aggressive
- short songs with often political,anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation
Only Option C represent the List properly and conveys the intended meaning

A. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, these
B. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics of the songs (not the intended meaning)
C. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics : Correct
D. often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation as well as aggressive, high-tempo, and short songs, these
E. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics as well as stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 17:07
reto wrote:
Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, these being a distinct characteristic.

B. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics of the songs
C. high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics

I can't get structure of this sentence. Can somebody please point out on the mistake in my perception:

Punk rock music
____developed [verb] during the mid-seventies
____and consists [verb] -- [list of from what consist music]
__________ of high-tempo,
__________ aggressive,
__________ and short songs -- [modifier of songs]
_______________ with often political,
_______________ anti-establishment lyrics
________________and stripped-down instrumentation,
[what is this and to what it connected?] the lyrics being a distinct characteristic.

If we make version without modifiers when we received:
Music developed and consists of songs, the lyrics being a distinct characteristic.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 23:03
Harley1980 wrote:
reto wrote:

I can't get structure of this sentence. Can somebody please point out on the mistake in my perception:

Punk rock music
__________ aggressive,
[what is this and to what it connected?] the lyrics being a distinct characteristic.

Music developed and consists of songs, the lyrics being a distinct characteristic.

Hi Harley1980

Here you find the OE: https://gmat.economist.com/gmat-practic ... tions-this

I am not sure what you mean by the last question. The last part is there to describe/modify the lyrics. In answer choice A, D there is pronoun ambiguity created. B is in this way redundant "the lyrics of the songs" > too wordy, "of the songs" is not necessary to understand the sentence. Finally it's just between C and E. Here we are again, E uses "as well as", and as I learned it, "and" is superior to "as well as".

I hope I could helpe you here a little?

Have a good day

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 09:36
GMATNinja

Could any of the experts clarify the role of the last phrase " the lyrics being a distinct characteristic." is it a modifier modifying "political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation" ?

Thank you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 12:38
VodkaHelps wrote:
GMATNinja

Could any of the experts clarify the role of the last phrase " the lyrics being a distinct characteristic." is it a modifier modifying "political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation" ?

Thank you

"Being a distinct characteristic" is giving us additional information about the aforementioned "lyrics." If you like terminology, when a sentence repeats a noun and then offers a description, it's called a resumptive modifier. For example, "Amy ate so many undercooked pancakes that she began to feel sick, the pancakes obliterating her intestines and rendering her a doubled-over husk of the athlete she'd once been." "Pancakes" is repeated to provide additional info. The terminology is less important than knowing that this is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

But now that I'm thinking about it: maybe some vodka would have helped Amy in this situation? :)

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 17:58
Here I didn't understand how verbs developed and consist of are parallel.

Moreover, how punk rock music developed X.

What I think about correct statement is as below.
Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics being a distinct characteristic.

Am I wrong? If yes, please tell me why to come out of this doubt cloud?

Harley1980 wrote:
reto wrote:

Punk rock music
__________ aggressive,

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 21:25
GMATNinja wrote:
VodkaHelps wrote:
GMATNinja

Thank you

"Being a distinct characteristic" is giving us additional information about the aforementioned "lyrics." If you like terminology, when a sentence repeats a noun and then offers a description, it's called a resumptive modifier. For example, "Amy ate so many undercooked pancakes that she began to feel sick, the pancakes obliterating her intestines and rendering her a doubled-over husk of the athlete she'd once been." "Pancakes" is repeated to provide additional info. The terminology is less important than knowing that this is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

But now that I'm thinking about it: maybe some vodka would have helped Amy in this situation? :)

I hope that helps!

Thank you for the answer. So it sounds like resumptive modifier is, in fact, similar noun + noun modifier? The only difference is "noun + noun modifier" uses a synonym to the object/subject in the mainclause, but resumptive modifier actually repeats that same subject/object?

Vodka indeed helps in all situations)))
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 15:00
gvij2017 wrote:

Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of high-tempo, aggressive, and short songs with often political, anti-establishment lyrics and stripped-down instrumentation, the lyrics being a distinct characteristic.

It's fine to switch verb tenses, as long as the switch is logical. In this case, the music developed in the past (the mid-seventies), but still consists of certain types songs in the present.

And "developed" in this case means something similar to "evolved." If I write, "The music evolved," I have a complete sentence, right? The same way "evolved" doesn't require an object in the preceding example, "developed" doesn't require one in this sentence.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 15:35
VodkaHelps wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
VodkaHelps wrote:
GMATNinja

Thank you

I hope that helps!

Thank you for the answer. So it sounds like resumptive modifier is, in fact, similar noun + noun modifier? The only difference is "noun + noun modifier" uses a synonym to the object/subject in the mainclause, but resumptive modifier actually repeats that same subject/object?

Vodka indeed helps in all situations)))

Correct!

(Public service announcement: vodka doesn't always help the next morning. :) And here's a public service announcement about... tequila!)

Need an expert reply?

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 13:56
GMATNinja wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:

It's fine to switch verb tenses, as long as the switch is logical. In this case, the music developed in the past (the mid-seventies), but still consists of certain types songs in the present.

And "developed" in this case means something similar to "evolved." If I write, "The music evolved," I have a complete sentence, right? The same way "evolved" doesn't require an object in the preceding example, "developed" doesn't require one in this sentence.

I hope that helps!

Dear GMATNinja

Can you please shed light about why choice E is wrong? what is the difference in meaning by using 'as well as' instead of 'and' in OA?
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of hig &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 13:56

Punk rock music developed during the mid-seventies and consists of hig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap