Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [96]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [39]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [12]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of [#permalink]
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of [#permalink]
Kudos
Wow, i totally ignored "outgrowths"... i picked b.

I don't understand why you cant have something plural and represent it as a singular noun...

i.e., X and Y were a natural outgrowth vs X and Y were natural outgrowths

I don't see how the former is NOT correct...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
C as 'coolness of judgment' & 'mutability of purpose' insert the plural verb 'were' and also outgrowths.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Def answer choice C.
"but which were" because were talking about to things, "coolness and mutability." two things equal the need for a plural verb. Choices A, D, and E all incorrectly use the singular "was" to modify the two things (coolness and mutability, which together call for a plural verb).

Same thing for outgrowth. It should be "outgrowths" because they -- the two things -- were out growths. If this confuses you, use the need for parallel construction throughout a sentence as your fall back -- i.e. keep the sentence consistent. If we're going to use the plural "were" verb, let's keep it consistent. Think about it like this in your head: "[they]... were... outgrowths," which is correct. But, [they]... were... a outgrowth," which is what choice B says in a nutshell and is incorrect.

You could also read it like this: "...brought to civil and military affairs a coolness... and mutability... that some writers have though{t} inconsistent with their religious zeal, but which [were] in fact natural [outgrowths] of it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Question talks about 2 things - 'a coolness of judgment' & 'mutability of purpose' hence we need were to address both!
Leaves us only with B & C...
Since 2 things have said to grow naturally out of the religious zeal (the pronoun 'it'), it should be plural again. Hence.. C is correct...

key is to consider 'a coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose that some writers have though inconsistent with their religious zeal' as one relative clause and 'but which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it. (to be corrected part)' as a subordinate clause which would modify the relative clause. Hence it needs to modify both the things and not one.

agree with C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose that some writers have though inconsistent with their religious zeal, but which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it.

(A) but which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it
(B) but which were in fact a natural outgrowth of it
(C) but which were in fact natural outgrowths of it
(D) but it was in fact a natural outgrowth of them
(E) which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it

This problem is tough. I couldn't figure out its structure to understand the meaning at first.

Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose that some writers have though inconsistent with their religious zeal, but which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it.

'but' usage is to modify 'a coolness ~ and mutability ~' not to modify 'their religious zeal'.
Also, for 'outgrowth', which is in a singular form, I wasn't sure of a plural form of outgrowths.

Can somebody help me on 'outgrowths' whether be a singular or plural for an uncountable noun?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
But doesn't 'Which' points to immediate preceding noun..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 937 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
brothers wrote:
Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose that some writers have thought inconsistent with their religious zeal, but which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it.

(C) is the correct answer

(A) incorrectly uses the singular verb "was" to refer to plural subject "a coolness of judgment and a mutability of purpose."

(B) incorrectly uses the singular "natural outgrowth"; however, the sentence needs "natural outgrowths" to match the plural subject.

(C) is the correct answer.

(D) uses an ambiguous pronoun "it" which appears to refer, incorrectly, to religious zeal. (D) suggests that the religious zeal was an outgrowth of the coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose, thereby distorting the sentence's meaning.

(E) lacks the conjunction "but"; therefore, "which" refers to the religious zeal, creating a meaning distortion by suggesting that the religious zeal was an outgrowth of the coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose (incorrectly referred to with pronoun "it," rather than "them").
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Sometime I wonder why cant we talk straight in English..... So twisted sentences :/

I had the same questiond 12 yrs back when I read a famous poem (dont remember the poet's name)

"Home they brought her warrior dead" and why not "They brought home her dead warrior"

Its like saying "John my name is the". Meeting you nice was the"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Send PM
Mona10031990 wrote:

I have the same question. I thought that WHICH will refer to RELIGIOUS ZEAL, thats why i eliminated A,B,C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
isn't "which" here referring to religious zeal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
@E-gmat team, please help me in understanding this question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of [#permalink]
Mona10031990 wrote:

Hi,
I picked option C and then saw your comment which makes me wonder about my elimination process. Anyway my observation is this:
When "which" is used the way it is in option E there is no doubt that the referent is "Religious zeal", touch rule.
But is the touch rule applicable in option C ",but which"?
I think not.
I maybe wrong about this, so if anyone can correct me it would be great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
brothers wrote:
Puritan fanatics brought to civil and military affairs a coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose that some writers have thought inconsistent with their religious zeal, but which was in fact a natural outgrowth of it.

I have a question.
What if in option d it refers to religions zest and them refer to "coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose". Then the option will be correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
thakurarun85 wrote:
brothers wrote:

I have a question.
What if in option d it refers to religions zest and them refer to "coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose". Then the option will be correct.

Hi Arun,
It changes the meaning.

What is being said by the writers is that "coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose" is inconsistent with the religious zeal. The second part of the sentence would serve to provide contrast.

In option c the meaning is:"coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose" grew out of "religious zeal" that is very consistent with religious zeal.

Option d means: "religious zeal" grew out of "coolness of judgment and mutability of purpose"

Your hypothetical situation aside, in this option 'them' is referring to writers, something that changes the meaning.

Option d is completely opposite of what we are looking for.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello Team,

As per my opinion, 'comma with but' needs to be followed by independent clause.
But here correct answer does not show this trend.
Could you please help in solving my query.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
Send PM
wannabeMBA10

IMHO

" a coolness of judgement and mutability of purpose that some writers have thought inconsistent with their religious zeal" is A BIG NOUN PHRASE.

Therefore, the modifier "WHICH" can modify the HEAD OF THE NOUN PHRASE - "a coolness of judgement and mutability of opinion" though there is a Clause before the modifier.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts