GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

PythaGURUS Consulting: Irony of Top MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
G
PythaGURUS Consulting: Irony of Top MBA Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:45
Dear MBA Applicants,

I find it very surprising & I wanted to share an irony I have been experiencing working with you for the past 11 years.

Most of the applicants I work with “DO NOT LIKE” what they are doing in their current jobs. Ironically, when they explore an MBA, they do not want to truly introspect in “IDENTIFYING” the job they are meant to be in or the companies they want to be with.

“ I will be proud of myself if I make it to Wharton this year“

This chant is a reference to the words of many students who are not satisfied with the Status quo, and are out there in pursuit of happiness.

They will “DO ANYTHING TO GET INTO A TOP B-SCHOOL”

They will “Engage in extra-curricular and sports to garnish the resume”

They will “stop living and start studying for 15 hours a day”- We do that in India !

Their parents will go to the extent of seeking advice from every GEEK in the extended family to ask “What should our child do to just GET INTO IIM-A or Harvard/Wharton/Stanford?” – He has to be successful.

As I cast about for ways to make it better for the students, I will start with a simple question?

Are you a slave or are you a customer?

Your question “Whether they will take me?”

My suggestion “ DO you need it?”

Do not try to become something for them. You are a valuable customer who will be paying $150000 to them. You will be paying 90 lacs to a Top 10 B-School. You have the complete right to know if they will make a difference to your careers.

And I fail to understand the relationship with success.

You decide that right before you start your fearful journey of applying to business schools. Why do you start with the mindset of “Becoming successful” ? – If the end result is “Becoming Successful”- What are you right now?

Be Successful even before applying to business schools. You already are truly.

Getting into a TOP B-School is not a big deal in life. It will bring momentary upswings, and before you know it, you will be on the next path of “Becoming Successful”.

You are the customer and a business school is your service provider. You will be PAYING THEM A LOT OF MONEY. YOU WILL BE GIVING UP YOUR JOBS TO JOIN THEM. Can you stop behaving as if your life depends on them? If success has to start, it has to start within you right now.

I wanted to convey this to you that all of you have been very successful in your own lives in your own way. Do not raise the stakes of a business school admission. It does not mean anything.

Be objective and consider the following while applying:

1. You have already spent enormous amount of time doing “What does not inspire you?” It should not be the pattern of the future course of action. An MBA has to be a live changing scenario like Marriage or Child Birth and it behooves applicants to put a considerable amount of time thinking through the future opportunities.

2. Getting into a B-School is not an accomplishment in itself. It is a means to an end. The goal is to find the job opportunity that will really inspire you. The goal is to get out of the LIMBO that you are in right now, and not jump into the next one.

3. Network extensively with the target industry professionals. Get into conversations with people who have built a career in your areas of interest. Do enough due diligence to find out if that job is worth your time.

Just as you spend enormous amount of time doing in due diligence before buying an expensive car, so too you should spend time introspecting and identifying the careers for the future.
http://www.pythagurus.in

Originally posted by pytha1gurus on 01 Mar 2019, 06:12.
Last edited by pytha1gurus on 13 Mar 2019, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: PythaGURUS Consulting: Irony of Top MBA Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 07:01
I WANT TO STAND UP AND CLAP. YES!

- Becoming obligated to work a high-paying job to service your debt is not success if you don't enjoy the job.

- In the end, those who enjoy their work are the most successful. That is the goal.

- Introspect, work with a career or leadership coach, do informational interviews, attend industry events,

In my opinion this is the first order of business.
And you don't need to pay $200K to do this stuff.
But it will help you leverage your experience in b-school if you do.
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 09:27
great read.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 11:31
Great read indeed... i can probably explain the unreasonableness of the parents that may be causing more craziness.
Do you mind a personal question, PythaGURUS, do you have kids?
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 21:35
pytha1gurus Good One, You have stated some of the bitter truth :-)

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 22:06
Wonderful write up indeed.
And to be honest, we do have such conversations not only just for B-school applications but almost about everything/every sphere of life.
And for sure, this post is going to help to people who really (..R..E..A..L..L..Y..) want to go to business school and for those who really want to be successful (by retrospecting if he.she is a failure right now?)

I am sorry, I can't express it very well but I am impressed with this and probably deep inside these thought have been kept echoing.
Thank you very much,

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 20:49
Thank you everyone for your comments. I am very glad that you liked what I said.

BB- Hi, No I do not have kids yet, but have a lot of friends who have kids in 5th to 7th class maybe, and I get surprised when they call me to check "what to do so that I can send my child to Harvard Business School?"

I also had the CEO of a large Conglomerate in India approach me last week, and while his child was not even in high school yet, the father was already finding opportunities to make the kid an investment banker.

A lot of applicants I work with, I like coaching them on goals, but I feel sorry for them when I see them clueless about any industry or function. I wonder what inspired them to look for an MBA. And the Indian applicant community is a very hard working community. I am just identifying ways to help them see the rationale behind their choices.

Thank you

Jatin
http://www.pythagurus.in
GMAT Club Bot
Re: PythaGURUS Consulting: Irony of Top MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 20:49

PythaGURUS Consulting: Irony of Top MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi