GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 09:05
Keats wrote:
chetan2u Can you please explain option B here.

This is what I think -
Conclusion: Cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

(B) Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.
Negated Option (B) Cannabinoids are not the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.
So, if Cannabinoids are not the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite let us assume that three other substance say X,Y, and Z too are responsible for stimulating the appetite.

Now, if the injected chemical inhibits cannabinoids and accordingly concludes that the mice showed far less interest in feeding, how can we comment on chemical's reaction with X, Y or Z. It may be the case that the chemical inhibits X, Y, and Z ; in this case one cannot make it out if it is the cannabinoids or X or Y or Z that was responsible for stimulation of appetite. So, this does not break the conclusion.

Am I thinking on the right grounds?

Yes, your thinking for option B is absolutely correct. Even though we have other things stimulating the appetite, we are still not able to break the conclusion. Hence, B would be taken out on the same thinking.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Math Expert
V
Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 07:12
Keats wrote:
chetan2u Can you please explain option B here.

This is what I think -
Conclusion: Cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

(B) Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.
Negated Option (B) Cannabinoids are not the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.
So, if Cannabinoids are not the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite let us assume that three other substance say X,Y, and Z too are responsible for stimulating the appetite.

Now, if the injected chemical inhibits cannabinoids and accordingly concludes that the mice showed far less interest in feeding, how can we comment on chemical's reaction with X, Y or Z. It may be the case that the chemical inhibits X, Y, and Z ; in this case one cannot make it out if it is the cannabinoids or X or Y or Z was responsible for stimulation of appetite. So, this does not break the conclusion.

Am I thinking on the right grounds?

Hi Keats,

Just few points...
1) Q does not seem to be a very good Q by the standards of GMAT. It is from gmat prep requires to be checked..
2) reason for above is that the assumption is nothing but the conclusion itself...
3) But if it is given as assumption so surely it will be correct as conclusion...
4) Now the reasoning taken by you..
It will be better to take it as ...
We are talking of " in mammals' milk" but what if there is something in mice body that stimulates feeding but gets affected by the chemical..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 07:23
Hmm. I appreciate your point chetan2u.

Also, yes, this is a GMATPrep problem. It was #40 on my exam, so I had almost no time to mark a response.
Attachments

Mammals.JPG
Mammals.JPG [ 108.66 KiB | Viewed 4198 times ]

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 07:57
E is correct.

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their mother's milk. --> doesn't do anything to help shield the claim from counterargument
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite. --> that's great and all, but we don't know if the chemical inhibitor is having any effect
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed. --> irrelevant
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids. --> outside of the scope
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite. --> bingo! using this choice, we eliminate the possibility for a counterargument on these grounds
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 09:21
nakib77 wrote:
Q14.
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoids from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their mothers’ milk.
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.
D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.

basically the logical chain here is :
milk->cannabinoids -> receptors -> appetite

so the conclusion says: more cannabinoids -> more appetite

Now, the logical meaning of E might be confusing becuase the mice did not eat, but since this is an assumption question, let try the negation test:
- if E is correct, that is: more chemical -> more appetite, than we found another factor in the experiment that could have caused "more appetite".

Negation of this option is one of the assumptions, since it makes the relationships "more cannabinoids -> more appetite" likely.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 11:17
E is the correct option

key words are 'probably' in the concluding sentence and 'independently inhibit' in the option E.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q43 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 13:06
I got the correct answer. But I am still not exactly clear as to how can B and C be eliminated. Can someone please explain in simple language preferably with an example?

"The fool didn't know it was impossible, so he did it."

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 09:38
sam2016 wrote:
I got the correct answer. But I am still not exactly clear as to how can B and C be eliminated. Can someone please explain in simple language preferably with an example?

When cannabinoids are blocked from reaching their receptors in the brains of injected mice, those mice show less interest in feeding. The author thus concludes that "cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite." If that conclusion is valid, it would explain why appetite decreases when the cannabinoids are blocked.

Quote:
B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite.

The author concludes that cannabinoids probably stimulate the appetite but not that cannabinoids are the ONLY substances in mammals' milk that stimulate the appetite. For example, perhaps there are a couple other compounds in the milk that stimulate the appetite. Still, if one of those substances is blocked, we would expect appetite to decrease. Thus, the author's argument does not rely on choice (B).

Quote:
C. The mothers of newborn mice do not normally make any effort to encourage their babies to feed.

Again, the author concludes that cannabinoids probably stimulate the appetite but not that cannabinoids are the ONLY factor affecting appetite. Perhaps mothers of newborn mice DO normally make efforts to encourage their babies to feed. Those efforts AND the cannabinoids could both serve to increase appetite. If either factor is removed, we would expect appetite to decrease. The author's argument does not rely on the assumption stated in choice (C).

I hope this helps! (And is anybody impressed that I refrained from making a dumb, obvious joke about cannabis and my home state of Colorado? I didn't think so...)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 18:45
The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, substances that are known to stimulate certain receptors in the brain. To investigate the function of cannabinoids, researchers injected newborn mice with a chemical that is known to block cannabinoids from reaching their receptors in the brain. The injected mice showed far less interest in feeding than normal newborn mice do. Therefore, cannabinoids probably function to stimulate the appetite.

Conclusion - CAN -> Stimulates the appetite
Reasoning - Chemical stopped CAN from recaching the receptor in the brain and so receptor was not stimulated.
What are we looking for - Something , which is a must for above conclusion in the light of above reasoning.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Newborn mice do not normally ingest any substance other than their mothers’ milk.
-- Irrelevant -

B. Cannabinoids are the only substances in mammals’ milk that stimulate the appetite.
-- It was tempting for me. But there can be other substance in milk but may be they are suppressed after adding the chemical. So we need to ignore this now.

-- Irrelevant

D. The milk of mammals would be less nutritious if it did not contain cannabinoids.
--Irrelevant

E. The chemical that blocks cannabinoids from stimulating their brain receptors does not independently inhibit the appetite.
-- Correct choice. (Something else is now the cause of the effect). Must be true for the causality to be correct.
Re: Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids, &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jun 2018, 18:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Q14. The milk of many mammals contains cannabinoids,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap