Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 719 [40]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [7]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Re: In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just [#permalink]
Kudos
A

Author is arguing that as the population increases, and no increased production of rice is planned, Teruvia will have to import rice. He is assuming that the demand for rice wont go down, pretty much.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi e-gmat,

Just wanted to know whether my reasoning is correct on this one.

Premise:

Currently, Domestic supply=Domestic Demand.

Supply of rice won't increase appreciably to meet increased demand in case the demand increases.

Population will be increasing.

Conclusion:

City will have to IMPORT rice.

Pre thinking assumption:

Population increase doesn't necessarily means that the DEMAND of RICE will increase and hence this is the GAP.

(a). A. No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia.
In other words, DEMAND is unlikely to decrease by any chance and hence city has to import the rice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
Kudos
jet1445 wrote:
In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy domestic demand. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable future, nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably. Teruvia’s population, however, will be increasing significantly for years to come. Clearly, therefore, Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia.
(B) Not all of the acreage in Teruvia currently planted with rice is well suited to the cultivation of rice.
(C) None of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding.
(D) There are no populated regions in Teruvia in which the population will not increase.
(E) There are no major crops other than rice for which domestic production and domestic demand are currently in balance in Teruvia.

Between A and C ...

If A is negated , it becomes "A pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia. "
Then the conclusion can not follow.
Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice" --> can not follow. Since the demand is decreasing , Teruvia wont have to import rice.

If option C is negated it becomes "Some of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding. "
Which means Some of the strains are high yielding some are not.

If a significant no of strains are not high yielding then the conclusion can follow i.e Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.

Conclusion follows after negation. So option C is not correct.

VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja
nightblade354

Is my explanation correct ?
Please check once...
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
jet1445 wrote:
In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy domestic demand. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable future, nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably. Teruvia’s population, however, will be increasing significantly for years to come. Clearly, therefore, Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia.
(B) Not all of the acreage in Teruvia currently planted with rice is well suited to the cultivation of rice.
(C) None of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding.
(D) There are no populated regions in Teruvia in which the population will not increase.
(E) There are no major crops other than rice for which domestic production and domestic demand are currently in balance in Teruvia.

Between A and C ...

If A is negated , it becomes "A pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia. "
Then the conclusion can not follow.
Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice" --> can not follow. Since the demand is decreasing , Teruvia wont have to import rice.

If option C is negated it becomes "Some of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding. "
Which means Some of the strains are high yielding some are not.

If a significant no of strains are not high yielding then the conclusion can follow i.e Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.

Conclusion follows after negation. So option C is not correct.

VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja
nightblade354

Is my explanation correct ?
Please check once...

The argument gives you clearly: "nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably"

It doesn't matter whether the current strains are exceptionally high-yielding or not. Whatever rice is produced is just enough for the population. Also, the rice per acre is not going to increase appreciably. So the kind of strains of rice being grown does not impact the conclusion at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos
dear experts, what's the problem in E, although I totally understand A is the correct answer, I have no idea what's the problem in E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear experts, what's the problem in E, although I totally understand A is the correct answer, I have no idea what's the problem in E

Even though if there are other options than rice, it will not have any effect of conclusion.

Here we are talking about importing rice only.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
OFFICIAL Answer Explanation
Reasoning What must be true in order for the given premises to justify the conclusion that Teruvia will have to begin importing rice? The argument implies that domestic rice production will not increase and that there are no rice exports, imports, surpluses, or stockpiles. It also implies that since Teruvia’s population will increase, its total demand for rice will increase. But this assumes that Teruvians will not start eating less rice per person.

A Correct. This expresses the final assumption discussed above, that Teruvians will not start eating much less rice per person.
B This may suggest that finding better acreage could increase rice yields, but the argument assumes that rice yields per acre will not increase appreciably.
C This may suggest that new strains of rice could increase rice yields, but the argument assumes that rice production will not increase.
D The argument assumes only that Teruvia’s total demand for rice will increase, not that the demand in every region will increase.
E The argument does not need to assume that rice is the only crop for which domestic production and demand are balanced. It is compatible with saying, for instance, that what holds for rice also holds for other crops.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Fact 1: the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy domestic demand.
Fact 2. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable future nor will rice yields per
acre increase appreciably
Fact 3: Teruvia’s population, however, will be increasing significantly for years to come

Conclusion: Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.
Now since the production of rice is not going to increase and the population will continue to rise, it only
makes sense that Teruvia will soon run out of rice UNLESS as the population increases the people begin
to consume less rice.
A. CORRECT. Negate this
“There is a pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice in Teruvia”
this would automatically destroy our conclusion and is therefore the assumption on which the argument
depends.
B. Irrelevant. Since this is already the case, the amount of rice produced wont decrease and hence wont
affect out conclusion.
C. Irrelevant. We know that the yield will remain constant.
D. We are concerned with the general population growth and not region wise growth.
E. Irrelevant.

Originally posted by ujain on 29 Jun 2021, 12:27.
Last edited by ujain on 29 Jun 2021, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I think A is better choice than others but still A can be argued. Because as in argument it is mentioned that population will increase. Even if per capita consumption is decrease, still there could be chances that Country need to import rice.

How about others?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
If per capita consumption falls to 50, and the population only increase by 20% then clearly Teruvia will not have to import rice. Only answer choice (A) address this issue. If we negate (A), we get:

A pronounced...decrease per capita......which, as I pointed out, shows that the conclusion - Teruvia will have to import - is invalid.

Just one question here: Though demand per capita is a function of population, option A does not address by how much the population increases. So when negating option A, we need to rely on the information from the passage to understand by how much the population is increasing. Passage says "significantly"; 20% does not seem enough to justify that. Can someone talk me out of this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Paras: Bhawsar
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM

The argument is based on the premise that Teruvia's population is increasing significantly, and the country's rice production will not be sufficient to meet this growing demand. To reach this conclusion, the argument assumes that there is no pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice in Teruvia. If there was such a trend (meaning that each person in Teruvia was consuming less rice on average over time), it could offset the need to import more rice, even with a growing population.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts