Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q39 V40
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Q32V45 Scope for quant improvement in a month? [#permalink]
Kudos
calappa1234 wrote:
Hey guys.

Did my first GMAT in March without any study and scored a 590 (Q31V38) 24th percentile and 85th percentile. I was pleasantly surprised by the score and decided that if i actually sat down and studied quant, I'd be able to crack 700.

I spent the last month studying the basics of quant (mainly from MGMAT and princeton review) and although I only managed to cover algebra, some ratio and probability and integers/fractions decimals, I decided to take a MGMAT practice test, confident that I could at least hit a 50 percentile in quant since the numbers didn't seem like random hieroglyphics anymore.

I ended up with a 620 (Q31V45) 24th percentile quant and 99th percentile in verbal

My quant score hadn't changed at all! While I had covered all the basics, and could answer a good portion of the drills in the MGMAT and princeton texts, I couldn't actually work out what the questions were asking during the prep test. It would take me like 2 minutes just to decipher a mid level question and even then i'd have no idea what the hell to do. Add to that the time limit, and I was bombing most of the basic questions as well.

My question is this: to do well in quant, do you just need to have 'it'? And by 'it' i mean a brain that is attuned to the frequency of all things 'mathy?'

I mean, I'm good at english. I write and read for pleasure so over the years I've developed a knack foe english. I managed a V45 without ever going through anything related to GMAT verbal. Do i need to have that same level of experience with math to score well in it? Hell, I don't even want to score that well, all I need (if i can keep my current verbal score) is a 50th percentile in math to get a 700 combined.

I've just signed up with Empowergmat and although Rich's videos are great, and I'm able to follow along and solve the questions that immediately follow his theory videos, I'm literally too afraid to open up the OG and try a random question on my own. Even glancing at a math question has my head swimming. Putting in a time limit is sure to induce a heart attack.

So long story short.

I SUCK at math, even after going through the basics.

Should I go back and go over all the basics again (Mgmat), or should I just keep banging my head against questions until they eventually start to make sense?

Thanks!

Hi,

I second what pushpitkc said. This is what I recommend, get the GMAT prep practice and CAT questions and focus on them. You can start tepidly using the study feature of the GMAT prep which provides explanations, then graduate to the exam feature and full CATs. You will probably find the PS questions relatively straightforward giving time pressure, however as you begin to practice DS questions, you will realize that your verbal CR skills are transferable. Giving that you are comfortable with verbal this should help.
I will also advise that you try to get better at verbal as well, for a marginal improvement in verbal would probably push you to 51 which will also help improve your overall score.
Summarily, focusing on the GMAT prep application, following Bunuel on this forum, and reviewing all doubtful questions should help improve your quant score.
Additionally, you may want to take advantage of the new option to take the GMAT in a different format and take the QVIRW format, so that you are fresh going into quant. You may want to warm up with a few questions on the day, and in general, review the format advises on this forum.
Finally, getting better in the quant at your level would probably take you a couple of months of regular work, so you had better start now. Remember, practice is the opportunity to deliberately make mistakes. So, better to make mistakes now, rather than during the exam.
Good luck, you are on the right track.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Q32V45 Scope for quant improvement in a month? [#permalink]
Kudos
calappa1234 wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I think you guys are right, im going back to the basics and will spend the next two weeks going through the MGMAT math fundamentals book again working every drill while also concentrating on accuracy.

I did a practice CAT just yesterday and wanted to shoot myself after the results. i actually thought about just giving up on the exam entirely. My quant score put me in the 20th percentile (yes you read that correctly - 20!) i seriously felt retarded. My Verbal suffered too. After scoring 85, 99 and 95 percentiles previously, i fell to 63! (WTF?) I guess I was hella demoralized after the quant section.

But yesterday was yesterday. Going to hunker down and spend 6+ hrs a day ( is this enough?) on math fundamentals for the next 2 weeks. Hope it helps!

Thanks once again for your replies!

Anyhow, quant, as expected saw no improvement and my verbal suffered as well because I was so demoralized.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi
Try with GMAT club maths book. This is very detailed. FIrst read this book in depth and then try with questions.
Day by day you will learn how to apply maths concepts and you will start seeing jump in your quant score.
YOu can try GMAT club quant tests also. These are made for those who want to score q49 and above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
calappa1234 wrote:
I have the GMAT club quant book. To be honest, I went through it and felt a bit intimidated. While it does cover pretty much everything, it doesn't really go into the basics - an area in which I am severely lacking. I definitely do plan on going through it, but only after I hit the MGMAT books (word problems, number properties, fractions/decimals/percents and algebra)

Hi Calappa,

Manhattan books are good for basics. Once you complete the MGMAT books then again solve MGMAT advance level questions.

mean while please share which topic is not in depth in GMAT club quant book. I will share different PDF for that topic.

Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
calappa1234 wrote:
Hey guys.

Did my first GMAT in March without any study and scored a 590 (Q31V38) 24th percentile and 85th percentile. I was pleasantly surprised by the score and decided that if i actually sat down and studied quant, I'd be able to crack 700.

I spent the last month studying the basics of quant (mainly from MGMAT and princeton review) and although I only managed to cover algebra, some ratio and probability and integers/fractions decimals, I decided to take a MGMAT practice test, confident that I could at least hit a 50 percentile in quant since the numbers didn't seem like random hieroglyphics anymore.

I ended up with a 620 (Q31V45) 24th percentile quant and 99th percentile in verbal

My quant score hadn't changed at all! While I had covered all the basics, and could answer a good portion of the drills in the MGMAT and princeton texts, I couldn't actually work out what the questions were asking during the prep test. It would take me like 2 minutes just to decipher a mid level question and even then i'd have no idea what the hell to do. Add to that the time limit, and I was bombing most of the basic questions as well.

My question is this: to do well in quant, do you just need to have 'it'? And by 'it' i mean a brain that is attuned to the frequency of all things 'mathy?'

I mean, I'm good at english. I write and read for pleasure so over the years I've developed a knack foe english. I managed a V45 without ever going through anything related to GMAT verbal. Do i need to have that same level of experience with math to score well in it? Hell, I don't even want to score that well, all I need (if i can keep my current verbal score) is a 50th percentile in math to get a 700 combined.

I've just signed up with Empowergmat and although Rich's videos are great, and I'm able to follow along and solve the questions that immediately follow his theory videos, I'm literally too afraid to open up the OG and try a random question on my own. Even glancing at a math question has my head swimming. Putting in a time limit is sure to induce a heart attack.

So long story short.

Should I go back and go over all the basics again (Mgmat), or should I just keep banging my head against questions until they eventually start to make sense?

Thanks!

Hi

Did my first GMAT in March without any study and scored a 590 (Q31V38) 24th percentile and 85th percentile.

You didnt mention your first CAT source, because this is something to be noticed

Manhattan Math CAT is tough than Official Test and verbal is a little bit easy
so dont worry with this result you can improve

You should go back to You basics of math best material which i have used also
Manhattan Foundation of GMAT math it is a 500+ pages book and can covered in 15 days
then start with the pure Math you can cover all of the concepts being tested in GMAT

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
calappa1234 wrote:
Hey guys.

So long story short.

Thanks!

Hi calappa1234,

Do not be disheartened. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMAT. You now know your weakness is the Quant section and you can now work to improve your accuracy in Quant. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for two months, you are sure to achieve your goal. I know it may seem frustrating now, but try to have a more positive attitude towards Quant. Quant is one of the easiest sections to improve on the GMAT given consistent practice and a positive outlook.

MGMAT CATS are a lot harder than the real GMAT so do not take those scores too seriously. Finish your EmpowerGMAT course, get your base strong and only then move on to the OG. Do not be afraid of the official Guides and Quant Review as they are the ‘real thing’. You need to solve these questions confidently to get a hang of the real GMAT. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Hope this helps. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I think you guys are right, im going back to the basics and will spend the next two weeks going through the MGMAT math fundamentals book again working every drill while also concentrating on accuracy.

I did a practice CAT just yesterday and wanted to shoot myself after the results. i actually thought about just giving up on the exam entirely. My quant score put me in the 20th percentile (yes you read that correctly - 20!) i seriously felt retarded. My Verbal suffered too. After scoring 85, 99 and 95 percentiles previously, i fell to 63! (WTF?) I guess I was hella demoralized after the quant section.

But yesterday was yesterday. Going to hunker down and spend 6+ hrs a day ( is this enough?) on math fundamentals for the next 2 weeks. Hope it helps!

Thanks once again for your replies!

Anyhow, quant, as expected saw no improvement and my verbal suffered as well because I was so demoralized.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have the GMAT club quant book. To be honest, I went through it and felt a bit intimidated. While it does cover pretty much everything, it doesn't really go into the basics - an area in which I am severely lacking. I definitely do plan on going through it, but only after I hit the MGMAT books (word problems, number properties, fractions/decimals/percents and algebra)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts