GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 07:57
gmatexam439 wrote:
daagh wrote:
As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell ---- There are two acts the thieves do such as 1. pilfer X, Y, and Z and 2. sell the date. The best choice as I see.

B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling ---and selling is unparallel

C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling -- also preferring is an outright fragment

D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell -- not only are thieves' is not parallel to 'but also pilfer'

E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling -- 'but also pilfering' is a fragment.

Hello daagh,

Isn't the highlighted part wrong? The three things in red are a list while the "and" after list depicts the second action of the thieves. Shouldn't the second "and" come without a comma?

We have a general structure in the following way:
I bought papaya,apples, and orangeand ate ice cream.

Please throw some light.
Regards

Hey bro.

Were you able to understand the usage of COMMA before AND SELL?

In Answer choice (A), why do we require a COMMA before AND?

Doesn't a COMMA + AND construction signal that we require independent clauses on both sides of this construction?

IMO, this is what's happening here:

1. Thieves pilfer X, Y and Z and sell the data.

Then, why do we need a comma before AND SELL?

Would really like your thoughts on this one.

Thanks.

Parth Jain
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 08:27
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 81: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

This question is a tight slap to the test takers who blindly follow the idioms irrespective of the meaning or the grammar of the given sentence.

--------------------
Shravan
GMATPrep--430, Q30,V20

++ 150Hrs ++

VeritasPrep--610, Q45,V29

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 21:06

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling

not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts -- I think this is a backward construction( in which the subject(thieves) follows the verb(are) ).

1.“not only.. but also” -- we can notice that there is no “but (also)”. Is it an error? Yes, in general. However, when we have independent clauses as elements in this idiom structure, we have an exception at hand. We need not have “but also” following “not only”. In these cases, we may have “also” as a modifier of the main verb in the second clause, as in the given sentence. Is this correct?
2. Not only X but also Y ---> X and Y need to be parallel. In general(not only in this structure), can a backward construction be parallel to a normal one(in which subject precedes the verb) ?
3. Why are backward constructions generally used? Is it used to emphasize something or just a stylistic choice?
they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell -
a.The comma(Oxford comma) used after new product specifications -- is it necessary on the GMAT ?
b. The comma after contract bidding plans (before and sell) - since there are only 2 items in the list do we need a comma ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , daagh , other experts- please help

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 01:26
Skywalker18 wrote:
1.“not only.. but also” -- we can notice that there is no “but (also)”. Is it an error? Yes, in general. However, when we have independent clauses as elements in this idiom structure, we have an exception at hand. We need not have “but also” following “not only”. In these cases, we may have “also” as a modifier of the main verb in the second clause, as in the given sentence. Is this correct?
2. Not only X but also Y ---> X and Y need to be parallel. In general(not only in this structure), can a backward construction be parallel to a normal one(in which subject precedes the verb) ?
3. Why are backward constructions generally used? Is it used to emphasize something or just a stylistic choice?
they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell -
a.The comma(Oxford comma) used after new product specifications -- is it necessary on the GMAT ?
b. The comma after contract bidding plans (before and sell) - since there are only 2 items in the list do we need a comma ?
1. I haven't come across anything like this, so I have serious doubts about it. From what I've seen, the decision to drop the but also depends on how formal you want your writing to be and the "sound" of the sentence you want to create. I don't see why we should limit ourselves to situations in which two clauses are being used, especially when the sample size of GMAT questions that do this is clearly insufficient to take anything more detailed away from the situation.

2. Yes. The first is a clause. Whether the subject precedes the verb or not does not change that.

3. If you are using a clause in the beginning with not only, you must invert the order of the subject and verb in the first clause. You can read more about inversion in general [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subject–verb_inversion_in_English]here[/url].

4. We'll need to be careful about using any "rules" when it comes to commas on the GMAT. The GMAT does not test commas except in an extremely limited number of ways, and there are questions in which almost every comma "rule" is broken (not all in the same question :-)) in the correct option (or the portion that is non-underlined).

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 18:24
GMATNinja wrote:
Sorry, I'm late to the party on this one!

So I've seen a lot of test-takers make mistakes on this question, usually because of overreliance on an idiom “rule” that doesn’t really exist. If you see the phrase “not only”, that does NOT automatically mean that you need to have a “but also” somewhere else in the sentence! There’s no reason why you couldn’t use the phrase “not only” by itself, as long as it makes logical sense with the context of the sentence.

Don’t get me wrong: “not… but” phrases are pretty important on the GMAT, but only because they require parallelism. Basically, whatever follows the word “not” (or “not only”) must be structurally parallel to whatever follows the word “but” (or “but also”). (Similar parallelism rules apply to both/and and either/or constructions – more on these in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

But again, there’s nothing wrong with having “not only” without the “but also.”

Quote:

“They” jumps out at me right away, but I think it’s fine, since it refers to “thieves.” I suppose “they” could also refer to “bank accounts,” but I don’t think the pronoun is automatically wrong. Ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule (see our YouTube webinar on this pronouns for more), and “they” isn’t particularly confusing here.

The parallelism also seems OK, even if it doesn’t sound great. We have two different lists going on in (A). First, we have a pair of parallel verbs: “…they can also pilfer information… and sell data…” That seems fine. We also have a list of the types of information that thieves pilfer: “…such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans…” That’s just three parallel nouns – no problem. Keep (A).

Quote:

(B) is very similar to (A), except that the final “and” is followed by “selling.” And that’s a problem, because I don’t know what “selling” is parallel to: nothing in the sentence is in the same format. Logically, “selling” should be parallel to “pilfer”, but in that case, it should be “…they pilfer… and sell…”, as in answer choice (A). (B) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The big change here is that “pilfering” and “selling” are now “-ing” words – modifiers, in this case. (Feel free to check out our guide to “-ing” words for more on this topic.)

But that doesn’t really make any sense. “As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, pilfering valuable information…” For this to be correct, “pilfering valuable information” would have to modify “not only are thieves able to divert cash…” – and it simply doesn’t. These are completely different types of criminal activity, and the “pilfering valuable information” does not modify “diverting cash.”

Similarly, “selling” is basically hanging out on its own. I guess it’s trying to modify the previous phrase beginning with “pilfering”, but I can’t make much sense of that, either. (C) is out.

Quote:

OK, now we really do have a “not only… but also” structure, which means that we need to think about parallelism again. There’s not much wiggle-room here: whatever follows “not only” needs to be parallel to whatever follows “but also.”

So we have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfer valuable information…” This isn’t awful, but it doesn’t quite seem parallel to me: “not only are thieves” gives us a subject and a verb, but the “but also” is followed only by a verb.

Plus, “to sell” seems to only modify “contract bidding plans”, and that’s not quite right: the thieves are selling the strategies and specifications, too. (A) makes much more sense than (D).

Quote:

The parallelism is much more thoroughly flawed in (E). We have: “not only are thieves able to divert cash… but also pilfering valuable information…” Definitely not parallel. (E) is out, and (A) is the correct answer.

GMATNinja , abhimahna

I have a question in connection to the explaination provided for option D. Can't we skip the subject in the "but also" part as it is similar to "not only" part??
Also I didn't quite understand how “to sell” seems to only modify “contract bidding plans”

Need some help on this
Re: QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2018, 18:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

QOTD: As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap