GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 03:31
rakeshlochansarma

Quote:
Is'nt 'found in the Phillippines' an incomplete part of the sentence?I think 'found' is a participle and that part of the sentence needs a verb. After 'and' there is again a modifier clause. So, option D fulfils the requirements. Please let me know where did I go wrong.

Here is correct sentence structure:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, opening modifier
Lina's sunbird, main subject
a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird, modifier describing Lina 's sunbird
has main verb
shimmering metallic colors on its head;
a brilliant orange patch,
bordered with red tufts,
in the center of its breast;
and a red eye. (all above are parallel list of what bird possess)

Also a participle does not need a main verb - it needs a noun to modify too.
A sentence must contain at least one independent clause (subject + verb +complete meaning )

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 20:17
rakeshlochansarma wrote:
Is'nt 'found in the Phillippines' an incomplete part of the sentence?I think 'found' is a participle and that part of the sentence needs a verb. After 'and' there is again a modifier clause.

Hi Rakesh, your analysis is correct. Following are the two modifiers, joined by and:

i) found in the Philippines - Past Participial Phrase
ii) resembling a hummingbird - Present Participial Phrase

Since both of these are Participial Phrases, they are considered grammatically parallel. Hence, this construct is fine.

Quote:
So, option D fulfils the requirements. Please let me know where did I go wrong.

With option D, the parallel parts are:
i) that is found in the Philippines - Dependent Clause
ii) it resembles a hummingbird - Independent Clause

In general, an Independent Clause is not considered grammatically parallel to a Dependent Clause. On that note, following structure in D would have been valid:

.....a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird..

The parallel parts in this sentence are:
ii) that resembles a hummingbird - Dependent Clause

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these issues with Paralleliism, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 09:31
EducationAisle wrote:
rakeshlochansarma wrote:
Is'nt 'found in the Phillippines' an incomplete part of the sentence?I think 'found' is a participle and that part of the sentence needs a verb. After 'and' there is again a modifier clause.

Hi Rakesh, your analysis is correct. Following are the two modifiers, joined by and:

i) found in the Philippines - Past Participial Phrase
ii) resembling a hummingbird - Present Participial Phrase

Since both of these are Participial Phrases, they are considered grammatically parallel. Hence, this construct is fine.

Quote:
So, option D fulfils the requirements. Please let me know where did I go wrong.

With option D, the parallel parts are:
ii) it resembles a hummingbird - Independent Clause

In general, an Independent Clause is not considered grammatically parallel to a Dependent Clause. On that note, following structure in D would have been valid:

.....a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird..

The parallel parts in this sentence are:
ii) that resembles a hummingbird - Dependent Clause

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these issues with Paralleliism, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thank you :)
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 22:09
egmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
I am totally confused with modifiers in option C/D, I am unable to get to OA: C
I selected option D with below understanding:
a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippine is my first independent clause with that as a subject and is found as verb
Moving on
and it resembles it correctly refers to 4.5 inch animal (no pronoun ambiguity here) and with it as subject and resembles as verb, this also forms
another independent clause (IC)
Both ICs are correctly joined by AND as connector since there are only two elements in this list. I feel meaning wise and grammatically this option sounds good.
Further as you mentioned in your post the underlined portion is part of a modifier, and I have no idea why we would stick a full, independent clause inside that modifier
are you considering that is found in the Philippines as modifier? Further in option C, can found act as verb-ed modifier which modifies Lisa's sunbird by jumping over animal? Note here there is no helping verb associated with found
WR,
Arpit

Hi E-

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

Thank you for the query. This is in response to your PM. :)

Let's begin from the beginning. The meaning of the sentence is pretty clear and easy to understand. The sentence presents a lot of information about this bird named Lina's sunbird.

Let's take a look at the structure of this sentence:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal
    found in the Philippines and
    that resembles a hummingbird,

has
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast;
    and a red eye.

As you can see, there are two SV pairs in the sentence. The SV pair Lina's sunbird has makes the IC and the SV pair that resembles makes the DC.

Since found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird modify a four-and-a-half-inch animal = Lina's sunbird, they form a parallel list, evident by the connector and. But this list is not grammatically parallel because found in the Philippines is verb-ed modifier while that resembles a hummingbird is a clause. They both have the same function in the sentence, i. e., they both modify the same noun entity. But a phrase modifier cannot be parallel to a clause modifier. Hence, the original sentence is incorrect.

Now, let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice C:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal
    found in the Philippines and
    resembling a hummingbird,
has
    a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and
    a red eye.

Per this choice, both the modifiers found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird form the perfect list. Both the modifiers are phrases.

It is true that found in the Philippines is a verb-ed modifier and resembling a hummingbird is a verb-ing modifier and hence, they do not look similar. But "looks" do not matter. Both the modifiers perform the same function in this sentence, i. e., they both modify the same noun entity and appear as phrases. Therefore, these two noun modifiers are perfectly parallel.

You can perform the same analysis with all the other answer choices to spot the errors with the remaining three answer choices.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat,

Need your help to understand this solution.

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

(A) found in the Philippines and that resembles
(B) found in the Philippines and that, resembling
(C) found in the Philippines and resembling
(D) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
(E) that is found in the Philippines, resembling

Sentence structure -

First discovered more than 30 years ago, [ Modifier modifying Subject]
Lina's sunbird,
a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, [Noun + Noun Modifier]
has
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye. [This is the list]

I understand that C is correct and better answer for this sentence.

1) My question is generic, Can we place two modifier next to each other.

2)
First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines, resembling
has shimmering metallic colors on its head;
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

Whether this sentence structure can be considered correct? And As what is the best way to eliminate E.

Thanks
Sudhanshu

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 16:29
SudhanshuSingh, check out the explanation here for some insights on answer choice (E). In this particular sentence, we certainly could put two modifiers next to each other, but if those modifiers are parallel to each other -- in other words, if they logically modify the same thing -- then they should ideally be separated with an "and", as they are in answer choice (C).

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 05:24
spetznaz wrote:
The answer is option C. It is a case of imperfect parallelism. verb-ed || verb-ing. Found || resembling.

Hi,

It is a case of perfect parallelism. To get the concept, refer to the post cited in the following URL:
https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sen ... -modifiers

Hope it helps :-)
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 07:41
animal found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird: Specifies the quality of the animal, so they are parallel.

souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 6: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye.

(A) found in the Philippines and that resembles
(B) found in the Philippines and that, resembling
(C) found in the Philippines and resembling
(D) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
(E) that is found in the Philippines, resembling

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Please press +1 Kudos if you find my post/reply helpful

Re: QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jun 2018, 07:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

QOTD: First discovered more than 30 years ago

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap