It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
QOTD: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 00:04
Hi Experts,

Could you please point out my gap in understanding the following statement :

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

I think there is SV error with

'an executive' ... miss and
'an executive' ... misinterpret

Could you please explain.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 03:32
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially ifit<could refer to both “course of action” and “commitment”> has worked well in the past, makes it<No antecedent> likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if ithas worked well in the past.

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
QOTD: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 08:52
mikemcgarry: Hey Mike, this question is giving me goosebumps even though I ended up marking the right answer. Can you please validate the approach I have used. I am citing all the errors that I believe are present in the answer choices- Please let me know if you don't agree with some or many of my thoughts. Thanks.

A. EMPTY It problem(TALKING ABOUT THE SECOND IT THAT APPEARS IN THE STAEMENT). The other day I asked you about the cases where "Placeholder It" is correct, I referred to the Magoosh Blog and learnt that correct usage of a Placeholder It will always involve a main subject, i.e someone or something will do the main action. For example:
It is highly unlikely that Red Sox will win the cup. Here the usage of It is correct, and we have a main subject "Red Sox" doing the action. However, in choice A It happens to be the subject itself. So we are definitely not dealing with the placeholder it. Further this It does not seem to have any logical referent- How can a course of action or Commitment likely to miss signs of anything.
2. I also felt that option A has the wrong usage of "If Construction"- I believe that the correct usage of If should involve a conditional statement. Many a times, I saw that Official problems used "If" in place of "whether"- and these situations are entirely wrong. For example: "We have to decide whether we will go today" is the CORRECT STATEMENT. And the statement "We have to decide if we will go today" is WRONG. Similarly, I felt that the If clause in this particular options did not really present a conditional statement as the likeliness of missing the signs did not depend on the If Statement (IF IT HAS WORKED WELL IN THE PAST) but more on the HEAVY COMMITMENT. So I had reservations about this as well- though I am not completely sure.

B. This does not make any sense. I think I managed this option pretty well.

C. Here it can refer to both commitment and course of action. Though honestly, I eliminated this because I felt that the choice uses If construction incorrectly(I mentioned this above)

D. Possessive noun used , but then we have a pronoun referring to a noun, which does not exist. Executive's being..... makes them

E. By far the best choice. I have a bias that whenever Statement with BEING is used as a noun itself then it is most likely correct. Being on time is a good habit. When used otherwise, chances are high that it would n't be correct.

So here are my thoughts. If you could let me know whether my thinking process was correct- really appreciate the time you take out for queries. Thanks always Mike.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 11:12
Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
- what does "it" (after the comma) refer to?

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
- Makes no sense. "makes missing signs of incipient trouble" is modifying who or describing what?

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
- what does "it" (after the comma) refer to?

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
- "Executives' being"? This makes no sense. Out.

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.- Although I HATED "Being"...the rest of the sentence is perfect.

For me, key takeaway here is the idea that we should make clear that THE EXECUTIVE (can) miss signs of trouble or misinterpret them. A lot of A/C have ambiguous pronouns (i.e. "it").

Kudos please if you find helpful :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.87
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:14
A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear. -"it" is an ambiguous pronoun in both instances… is it referring to the heavy commitment, the executive, or the course of action? “them” and “they” also seem to be confusing/ambiguous pronouns.

B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear. - “an executive… makes missing signs” sounds weird. I am suspicious because it’s supposed to be the act of being committed to a course of action that is making missing signs/misinterpreting signs likely, not an executive.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past. - the modifier “especially if it has worked well in the past” is too far away from “course of action”.

D. Executives’ being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear. - “Executives’ being heavily committed” is wrong

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear. - looks good
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:33
IWilWin wrote:
Hi Experts,

Could you please point out my gap in understanding the following statement :

I think there is SV error with

'an executive' ... miss and
'an executive' ... misinterpret

Could you please explain.

Hello IWilWin,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Here is the explanation anyway. :-)

Following is the "expanded" version of the correct answer Choice E:

E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive to miss signs of incipient trouble or to misinterpret them when they do appear.

Please note that neither an executive is a subject not miss and misinterpret verbs in this answer choice. In fact, an executive is the object of the verb phrase is likely to make. And objects do not take verbs.

Again the words miss and misinterpret are not verbs because they are preceded by the word to that remains understood in the original version of the correct answer choice.

This omission is not uncommon and is employed when the meaning is still clear with the omission. For example:

My friend helped me (to) finish the project in time.

And I am sure you know it that to verb phrases are NEVER verbs.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 12:36
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 11: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

A. Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 23:14
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 11: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

daagh i need your explanation on this question i really feel e is not correct because of various reasons:-
1 use of being.
2 being heavily committed to... ,here must be the persong who is heavily committed executive
3.verb is likely belongs to which subject i didn't get it please explain
thank you in advance
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 06:19
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Rishab
Hi
Please visit the link below; all your doubts will be cleared.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t3173.html

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 13:34
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of the OG questions that causes the most trouble, partly because a lot of GMAT test-takers have an (occasionally incorrect) impulse to automatically eliminate any answer choice with the word "being."

But we'll get to that. Let's take these buggers in order:

Quote:

"Them" is trying to refer back to a possessive pronoun, "executives'", and that's wrong on the GMAT. Non-possessive pronouns (they, them, he, she, it) can't refer back to possessive nouns on the GMAT. So (D) is gone.

Quote:

There are lots of pronoun issues in the other answer choices, but we're all good with (E): the ambiguous "it" we saw in (C) isn't here at all, and "them" and "they" very clearly refer to "signs of incipient trouble." The subject "being heavily committed to a course of action" works nicely with the main verb phrase ("is likely to make an executive miss signs of trouble..."), so (E) is an upgrade from (B).

That leaves "being" as the only reasonable objection to (E). But "being" is absolutely fine here: it's just a noun, also known as a gerund in this case. "Being" is no different than any other gerund. So (E) is our answer.

Please see last Monday's Topic of the Week for more on gerunds and other "-ing" words on the GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html.

GMATNinja- thank you for your response. Just to clarify: in D, the possessive part is also just wrong even ignoring that "them" can't refer to it. As in, there doesn't appear to be anything that should be possessive, so it's just wrong on its own, right? thanks!
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 10:45
brandon7 wrote:
GMATNinja- thank you for your response. Just to clarify: in D, the possessive part is also just wrong even ignoring that "them" can't refer to it. As in, there doesn't appear to be anything that should be possessive, so it's just wrong on its own, right? thanks!

Quote:

Hm, good question. I think I agree that the possessive is just plain wrong here, because it doesn't really make sense to for executives (or anybody else!) to possess "being heavily committed" -- I can't think of a case in which it would be appropriate to have a possessive in front of a gerund or participle, and it certainly doesn't work in this particular case. But if this said "executives' commitment to a course of action...", I'd be OK with it -- there's no problem with possessing the noun "commitment."

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Re: QOTD: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2017, 10:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

QOTD: Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap