It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17047 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 13:23
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (00:59) correct 48% (01:20) wrong based on 218 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 103: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are
(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are
(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although
(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17047 [0], given: 1963

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1602 [2], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Full disclosure: I missed this one the first time I saw it, mostly because I was too mechanical about “pronoun ambiguity.” But as you might have noticed in our YouTube webinar on pronouns, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule.

Plus, there’s a nuance to this particular situation: in (D) and (E), the subject of the second independent clause is a pronoun, and I’m pretty sure that the subject of the second clause can refer unambiguously to the subject of the first clause – even if there are a ton of other potential referents in between those two subjects. More on that in the YouTube webinar, too.

Quote:
(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are

This isn’t technically a run-on sentence, but it feels like one. It’s oddly tricky to pin down the exact errors, even though it’s clearly a mess. I guess I’d start with the parallelism: “or” is a parallelism trigger, so the verb phrase “have plenty of bumps and bruises” must be parallel to some other verb phrase. But the only other verb phrase is “look less appetizing”: “Heirloom tomatoes… only look less appetizing than their supermarket cousins… or have plenty of bumps and bruises.”

That doesn’t make sense. Why are we using an “or” there? Those two verb phrases support each other, and both are true.

Plus, the placement of “often green and striped” could be better. It looks like the “supermarket cousins” are “green and striped” – but that’s not right. The heirlooms are green and striped. So we have plenty of reasons to ditch (A).

Quote:
(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

This is an even hotter mess than (A). I can’t figure out what to do with the “or with plenty of bumps and bruises” here, either – nothing is reasonably parallel to the prepositional phrase “with plenty of bumps and bruises”, since there really aren’t any prepositional phrases earlier in the sentence that could possibly work.

Plus, that last bit is weird: “Heirloom tomatoes… only look less appetizing than their (supermarket cousins)…, although more flavorful.” I could go for “although they are more flavorful”, but the sentence doesn’t make sense the way it’s written. “Although” requires a clause in this situation, not just a random adjective.

Oh yeah – and the “often green and striped” is still in a weird location. (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are

This is getting better, but the “often green and striped” is still arguably misplaces, and we still have a parallelism issue with the “or.” “Heirloom tomatoes… only look less appetizing than their (supermarket cousins)…, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises.” Again, the two phrases on either side of the “or” just don’t make sense: both are true, and the two phrases actually support each other. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although

If you’re being too mechanical, you might conclude that “they” is ambiguous, because it could refer to “cousins”, “seeds”, or “tomatoes.” But we’re OK here: “they” is the subject of the second clause, and I don’t think there’s any ambiguity in GMAT-land if the subject of the second clause (“they”) refers back to the subject of the first clause (“heirloom tomatoes”).

And both the “or” and the “green and striped” finally make sense! Trouble is, we have that little problem with “although more flavorful” at the end of the sentence. In this situation, we’d need a clause following “although”, not just a random adjective. (D) is better than (A), (B), and (C), but it’s still flawed.

Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds saved from the previous year, only look less appetizing than their round and red supermarket cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are more flavorful.

Quote:
(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are

Great. The pronouns are all nice and clear, according to GMAT rules: the subject of the second (“they are often green and striped”) and third clauses (“they are more flavorful”) refer back to the subject of the first clause (“heirloom tomatoes”). The verb phrase “have plenty of bumps and bruises” is appropriately parallel to “are often green and striped” – and the “or” makes sense.

(E) is our winner, and now I really want a gigantic salad.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1602 [2], given: 400

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Re: QOTD: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 19:24
Well I would select option E, but i still feel this option has some pronoun ambiguity
Flipping the question is solving the problem, but i am not sure about "they" in option E

Anyways, Option E is the best among the rest based on parallel structure and Dependent and independent clause conditions.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 49

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 19:48
I am confused between A and E. but I would go for E. because:-

A- after comma it further explains the features of the supermarket tomatos. So, no semi colon required. But I am not sure if it satisfies prallelism.
E- it uses semicolon which is okay as the phrase after semicolon is independent. Also, prallelism has been satisfied.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 06:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are :green and stripped must modify H tomatoes and must be placed next to H tomatoes
(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although :green and stripped must modify H tomatoes and must be placed next to H tomatoes
(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are :green and stripped must modify H tomatoes and must be placed next to H tomatoes
(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although :parallelism error ,verb are so or must be followed by verb and not preposition

Manager
Manager
S

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 06:35

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are :green and stripped must modify H tomatoes and must be placed next to H tomatoes
(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although :green and stripped must modify H tomatoes and must be placed next to H tomatoes
(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are :green and stripped must modify H tomatoes and must be placed next to H tomatoes
(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although :parallelism error , "are" is a verb so "or" must be followed by verb and not preposition "with"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 07:57

(A) cousins, often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but are -green and stripped seem to wrongly modify supermarket tomatoes
(B) cousins, often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although -green and stripped seem to wrongly modify supermarket tomatoes
(C) cousins, often green and striped, or they have plenty of bumps and bruises, although they are -green and stripped seem to wrongly modify supermarket tomatoes
(D) cousins; they are often green and striped, or with plenty of bumps and bruises, although -"with" disrupts parallelism. "although" is not sounding correct.
(E) cousins; they are often green and striped, or have plenty of bumps and bruises, but they are -Correct

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 02:53
Hi All,

As already pointed out by GMATNinja, for option D, Trouble is, we have that little problem with “although more flavorful” at the end of the sentence. In this situation, we’d need a clause following “although”, not just a random adjective.

I always miss on that part, whether although should be followed by a complete clause or only a modifier. So, I just wanted to share an excellent explanation by RON Purewal on the correct usage of the same. Please follow this url.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/although-subordinate-clause-must-have-a-subject-and-verb-t31750.html

Hope this will help to several others as it had helped me.

Thanks.
-Varun

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Re: QOTD: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2017, 02:53

QOTD: Heirloom tomatoes, grown from seeds

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap