GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 15:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a sneaky, sneaky question. The most important part of the sentence comes right at the beginning: “in addition to her work…” It’s not quite a comparison, but imagine what would happen if this said “in contrast to her work…” You’d want to follow the comma with something that can be logically compared with “her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record”, right? And that would be “Leakey’s contributions…” not “Leakey” herself.

The same is true with the “in addition to.” It’s not ideal to say “in addition to her work…, Leakey…” (A), (B), and (C) are all flawed for that reason, but some of them have other issues, too.

Quote:
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(A) also has a parallelism error. After the parallelism trigger “and”, we have “painstakingly documenting.” So we need something in the same format, and I just don’t see any options. “Her discovery” would be the closest thing, but that’s still not structurally parallel to “painstakingly documenting.” (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

The biggest problem with this is probably the “in addition to her work…, Leakey” thing we discussed at the top. But I also think it’s wrong to say “Leakey contributed… by her discovery…” You could talk me into “with her discovery” or “by documenting” – but not “by her discovery. Ditch (B).

Quote:
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

“Leakey was a contributor to archaeology” is a very odd way to say that she “contributed to archaeology”, but I’m not 100% certain that it’s wrong. But we still have the same “in addition to her work…, Leakey” thing that we discussed at the beginning. (C) is out.

Quote:
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

The beginning makes much more sense now: “in addition to her work…, Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include…” That’s great, both because it’s parallel (two possessive nouns) and because it makes a whole lot of sense. The parallelism is better, too: “Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation…” Can’t ask for much better. Keep (D).

Quote:
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

This isn’t horrible, but it’s not as good as (D). First, “include her discovering” is pretty crappy – it makes much more sense to put the possessive “her” in front of the common noun “discovery” instead of the gerund “discovering.” The parallelism is also a little bit off: “Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation…” It’s weird to have the possessive + gerund in the first part, and then a nice noun in the second part of the parallel list.

Again, (E) isn’t a total disaster, but it’s clearly a weaker answer than (D).

Thanks for the wonderful explanation !!

" The few , the fearless "

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 03:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmatexam439 wrote:
My answer: D (Awaiting OA)

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting -Both the parts are not parallel.

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting -Both the parts are not parallel.

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of -We need present tense

(D) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of -Correct. Both the parts are parallel. Also, I have seen quiet a few official questions that use a pronoun to refer back to noun+'s form. In this case "her" is referring to Mary Leakey.

(E) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of -Both the parts are not parallel.

In option D what is the antecedent for the pronoun "her" ? It cannot be Leaky's rather it should be "Leaky" which is present only on option C. Your thoughts?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Booth '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.32
QOTD: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 09:57
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a sneaky, sneaky question. The most important part of the sentence comes right at the beginning: “in addition to her work…” It’s not quite a comparison, but imagine what would happen if this said “in contrast to her work…” You’d want to follow the comma with something that can be logically compared with “her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record”, right? And that would be “Leakey’s contributions…” not “Leakey” herself.

The same is true with the “in addition to.” It’s not ideal to say “in addition to her work…, Leakey…” (A), (B), and (C) are all flawed for that reason, but some of them have other issues, too.

Quote:
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(A) also has a parallelism error. After the parallelism trigger “and”, we have “painstakingly documenting.” So we need something in the same format, and I just don’t see any options. “Her discovery” would be the closest thing, but that’s still not structurally parallel to “painstakingly documenting.” (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

The biggest problem with this is probably the “in addition to her work…, Leakey” thing we discussed at the top. But I also think it’s wrong to say “Leakey contributed… by her discovery…” You could talk me into “with her discovery” or “by documenting” – but not “by her discovery. Ditch (B).

Quote:
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

“Leakey was a contributor to archaeology” is a very odd way to say that she “contributed to archaeology”, but I’m not 100% certain that it’s wrong. But we still have the same “in addition to her work…, Leakey” thing that we discussed at the beginning. (C) is out.

Quote:
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

The beginning makes much more sense now: “in addition to her work…, Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include…” That’s great, both because it’s parallel (two possessive nouns) and because it makes a whole lot of sense. The parallelism is better, too: “Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation…” Can’t ask for much better. Keep (D).

Quote:
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

This isn’t horrible, but it’s not as good as (D). First, “include her discovering” is pretty crappy – it makes much more sense to put the possessive “her” in front of the common noun “discovery” instead of the gerund “discovering.” The parallelism is also a little bit off: “Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation…” It’s weird to have the possessive + gerund in the first part, and then a nice noun in the second part of the parallel list.

Again, (E) isn’t a total disaster, but it’s clearly a weaker answer than (D).

Hi GMATNinja,

Isn't there a problem with possessive on the last two options (D) and (E)? In my opinion (and I've seen a lot of people who thought the same way here) the pronoun HER in the first part of the sentence must have an antecedent (the subject), which can't be a possessive (as far as I'm concerned). I didn't even read those, I saw the possessive and kicked them out immediatelly. Although your reasoning about "in addition to" makes total sense, I went for letter C because of those possessives.

Could you please clarify? Thanks!! :)
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
Animesh Srivastava wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
My answer: D (Awaiting OA)

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting -Both the parts are not parallel.

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting -Both the parts are not parallel.

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of -We need present tense

(D) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of -Correct. Both the parts are parallel. Also, I have seen quiet a few official questions that use a pronoun to refer back to noun+'s form. In this case "her" is referring to Mary Leakey.

(E) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of -Both the parts are not parallel.

In option D what is the antecedent for the pronoun "her" ? It cannot be Leaky's rather it should be "Leaky" which is present only on option C. Your thoughts?

Hi,

Please go through https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-in-addi ... l#p1966856 for detailed explanation by GMATNinja.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Re: QOTD: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 03:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

QOTD: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap