Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Lea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
prav04 wrote:
I have a doubt regarding the option D. Isn't it Mary Leakey a singular nonun....shouldn't the verb be includes??

Someone please clarify.

Here's (D) again, with the subject and verb in bold:

Quote:
(D) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

Mary Leakey isn't the subject of the clause; Mary Leakey's contributions is the subject, and that's a plural noun. So the correct form of the verb is "includes."

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Lea [#permalink]
sondenso wrote:
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

(D) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

(E) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

In (E), I thought discovering is parallel with painstaking.

Why these two are not parallel? How to avoid this kind of trap? generis

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a sneaky, sneaky question. The most important part of the sentence comes right at the beginning: “in addition to her work…” It’s not quite a comparison, but imagine what would happen if this said “in contrast to her work…” You’d want to follow the comma with something that can be logically compared with “her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record”, right? And that would be “Leakey’s contributions…” not “Leakey” herself.

The same is true with the “in addition to.” It’s not ideal to say “in addition to her work…, Leakey…” (A), (B), and (C) are all flawed for that reason, but some of them have other issues, too.

Quote:
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(A) also has a parallelism error. After the parallelism trigger “and”, we have “painstakingly documenting.” So we need something in the same format, and I just don’t see any options. “Her discovery” would be the closest thing, but that’s still not structurally parallel to “painstakingly documenting.” (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

The biggest problem with this is probably the “in addition to her work…, Leakey” thing we discussed at the top. But I also think it’s wrong to say “Leakey contributed… by her discovery…” You could talk me into “with her discovery” or “by documenting” – but not “by her discovery. Ditch (B).

Quote:
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

“Leakey was a contributor to archaeology” is a very odd way to say that she “contributed to archaeology”, but I’m not 100% certain that it’s wrong. But we still have the same “in addition to her work…, Leakey” thing that we discussed at the beginning. (C) is out.

Quote:
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

The beginning makes much more sense now: “in addition to her work…, Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include…” That’s great, both because it’s parallel (two possessive nouns) and because it makes a whole lot of sense. The parallelism is better, too: “Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation…” Can’t ask for much better. Keep (D).

Quote:
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

This isn’t horrible, but it’s not as good as (D). First, “include her discovering” is pretty crappy – it makes much more sense to put the possessive “her” in front of the common noun “discovery” instead of the gerund “discovering.” The parallelism is also a little bit off: “Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation…” It’s weird to have the possessive + gerund in the first part, and then a nice noun in the second part of the parallel list.

Again, (E) isn’t a total disaster, but it’s clearly a weaker answer than (D).

Hi, GMATNinja

I understood your deep & great explanation except the part explained in option E .
gerund and noun form can be parallel to each other .

You have mentioned 's + gerund ll to NOUN form is not allowed .Could you elaborate a bit about this as I don't see such format in opt E or may be my brain isn't able to catch what you are saying for opt E .
Leakey’s (apostrophe S format )contributions to archaeology include HER
1) discovering(GERUND ) the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and
2) painstaking documentation (NOUN) of

I am assuming here HER can act as common for both parallel things ... (i.e gerund & noun can share HER right? )
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatway wrote:
GMATNinja[/url]

I understood your deep & great explanation except the part explained in option E .
gerund and noun form can be parallel to each other .

You have mentioned 's + gerund ll to NOUN form is not allowed .Could you elaborate a bit about this as I don't see such format in opt E or may be my brain isn't able to catch what you are saying for opt E .
Leakey’s (apostrophe S format )contributions to archaeology include HER
1) discovering(GERUND ) the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and
2) painstaking documentation (NOUN) of

I am assuming here HER can act as common for both parallel things ... (i.e gerund & noun can share HER right? )

First off, I want to clarify that I did not say that (E) uses a structure that is "not allowed" :). As I say over and over again, there are very few concrete "rules" that you can apply to GMAT SC. You have to examine each answer choice, think about the meaning, and determine which choice is the best out of the five choices in THAT problem.

Back to your question... yes, the "her" could be applied to both items in the parallel list. But we could also only apply "her" to the first item in the list. In choice (E), the reader has to make that choice. Choice (D), however, is not open to interpretation, so that's one vote in favor of (D) over (E).

And is having a gerund parallel to a regular noun wrong or "not allowed"? No, but the parallelism in choice (D) is cleaner (two regular nouns). That's another vote in favor of (D) over (E).

Like I said in my original explanation, (E) isn’t a total disaster -- it's just weaker than choice (D).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
i knew D is correct but "include her" didn't sound good. can someone explain meaning????
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
i knew D is correct but "include her" didn't sound good. can someone explain meaning????

"Activities at the resort include (1) snow-shoeing, (2) hiking, and (3) cross-country skiing." - The word "include" is used to introduce a list of examples of activities. In other words, a list of resort activities would contain those three items.

The same is true in choice (D): "Leakey's contributions include (1) her discovery and (2) her painstaking documentation." In other words, a list of Leakey's contributions would contain the discovery and the documentation. The two possessive pronouns ("her") simply modify those two things, telling us whose discovery and whose documentation we are talking about.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

Test Points: Parallelism & Comparison

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting ("evidence of...“ and “ painstakingly documenting" is a broken parallelism)

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting (Same reason as A)

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of ( incorrectly compare Leakey to her work)

(E) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of (”include her discovering...“ is not idiomatic)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
sondenso wrote:

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

TRAP. "In addition to her work," needs to follow another noun. In this case, a pronoun gets modified.

This is our winner. In addition to her work, her contributions ....

(E) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 96: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Lea [#permalink]

Option Elimination -
"her" can refer to Mary Leaky (noun) or Mary Leaky's (noun in possessive case) - Eliminating the options here just because we may be less familiar with possessive pronouns referring to a noun in possessive case is not the right strategy here. At best, it is a red herring. We have to overcome this barrier to look for other issues to eliminate the options.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting - "And" demands parallelism. On the left side of "and," we have a prepositional phrase "with her discovery," and on the right side, we have a gerund "painstakingly documenting" - not parallel.

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting - There is nothing grammatically wrong with this option: "discovery" - noun can be parallel to "documenting." Here is an example - Doctors generally agree that such factors as cigarette smoking, eating rich foods high in fats, and alcohol consumption not only do damage by themselves but also aggravate genetic predispositions toward certain diseases.
Here, three factors - smoking (gerund), eating (gerund), and consumption (noun) are perfectly parallel. So Noun can be parallel to Noun can be parallel to ING OF can be parallel to ING. BUT the preference is N>ING of >ING. Now, between B and D (that we'll discuss), we have noun versus noun parallelism as against noun versus ING parallelism here in B, and based on the preference, any option with the noun versus noun parallelism is preferred over others. Again, there is nothing wrong with this option - it's just that between B and D - D is preferred. And if you got this question wrong, it's not the end of the world; keep practicing.

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of - Leaky contributed is preferred over Leaky was a contributor.

(D) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of - contributions (subject) and plural verb (include). "her discovery" - noun parallel to "painstaking (adjective) documentation" - noun. Perfect. But in order to reach this option and keep it, we have to expand our knowledge that passive pronouns can refer to nouns (we know) but also nouns in the possessive case.

(E) Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of - discovering (gerund) and on the other side of and we have documentation (noun) if you are looking at "painstaking," its an adjective. Again, as we discussed in B, construction in option D is a preferred one over others.

Now let's look at the 2nd version of the sentence to consolidate our learnings.

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

A) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of - the prepositional phrase "through her discovery (noun)" is parallel to the prepositional phrase "through her painstaking documentation (noun)." Moreover, a noun is parallel to a noun.

B) Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting - noun (discovery) and gerund (painstakingly documenting)

C) Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of -same as we discussed for C above.

D) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting - discovery (noun) and documenting (gerund) preference, as we discussed above. In option A, a noun parallel to a noun is preferred.

E) Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of -Same as we discussed in E above.
GMAT Club Bot
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Lea [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts