It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16994 [0], given: 1962

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
QOTD: In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 02:34
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:21) correct 48% (01:33) wrong based on 274 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 110: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

(A) In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

(B) The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table that it would officially name minor planet number 207715 “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English and which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007.

(C) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715, which is to be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, or “water cellar for mothers” in English, as announced by the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) in its journal.

(D) The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that in the international minor planet table, minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, will officially be named “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in its journal.

(E) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16994 [0], given: 1962

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1577 [1], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ugh, there are way too many words here for a weekend QOTD. ;)

For whatever it’s worth, though: sometimes, I meet people who are really intimidated by these long, fully underlined sentences. But think of them as a gift: there are usually plenty of juicy errors in the longer sentences, and it’s just a question of being patient about finding them.

Quote:
(A) In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

The first things that catch my eye here are the “its” and “it” in the first line (both of which seem to refer to the Minor Planet Center) and the two uses of “which” later in the sentence… both of which seem OK to me. Sure, this thing feels wordy – and it even feels kind of weird to have two “which” phrases so close to each other – but that’s not a crime.

I don’t really like the sentence, but nobody cares what I think. I don’t see any definite errors, so I guess we have to keep (A).

Quote:
(B) The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table that it would officially name minor planet number 207715 “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English and which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007.

Hm, this garbage is pretty subtle. There’s something wrong about that first part of the sentence: “The MPC announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table that it would officially name…” The word order here doesn’t quite make sense: the second “that” seems to be modifying “minor planet table.” Sure, you could argue that the phrase “that it would officially name” can “reach back” to “in its journal… that it would officially name”, but it’s definitely not as clear as it should be.

I’m also pretty uncomfortable with the parallelism in the last part of the sentence: those two modifiers beginning with “which” are parallel to each other, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen two parallel “which” modifiers in the same sentence on the GMAT – at least not in a correct answer. Again, I’m not CERTAIN that this is wrong, but (A) seems better.

If you want to be conservative and hang onto (B), I wouldn’t blame you one bit. But (A) doesn’t have the parallelism and modifier placement issues that (B) does, and the meaning is better in (A).

Quote:
(C) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715, which is to be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, or “water cellar for mothers” in English, as announced by the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) in its journal.

There are some funky little things in here. For example, I don’t quite understand the use of the phrase “which is to be officially named… as ‘Muqin Shuijao’…” Seems like a waste of words, and we don’t figure out that the MPC is performing the act of naming the planet until the very end of the sentence. It would be much more direct to say that the MPC “announced that it would name the planet…” – as we see in (A).

More importantly: this thing isn’t even a sentence. It starts with an “-ed” modifier, followed by the subject (“minor planet number 207715…”)… but then the subject never actually “performs” a verb. So (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that in the international minor planet table, minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, will officially be named “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in its journal.

I don’t like that this is so subtle, either. (And again: the GMAT really doesn't care what I like, anyway. If it did, each of the questions would come with a side of French fries, or at least some nice, warm lavash bread or something.) But what the heck is “in its journal” doing at the very end of the sentence? It modifies the phrase “the MPC announced” – which is way back at the beginning of the sentence. As written, (D) sounds like the planet will be named in the journal itself, and that makes no sense: the planet will be named in the international minor planet table – and the announcement will be made in the journal. So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:
(E) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

This is a nice, straightforward “-ed” modifier error. (More on “-ed” words here.) Literally, the sentence seems to be saying that the MPC was discovered by scientists, and that definitely doesn’t work. (E) is gone, and we’ll settle for (A).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1577 [1], given: 400

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 03:14
In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table. -

"In the IMP table" has an ambiguous meaning. It can either say that the modification of name is done in the international minor planet table or Muqin Shuijao meant water cellar for mothers in the international minor planet table.Eliminated due to ambiguity in meaning.

Double usage of 'that' makes the sentence awkward in the first place. Eliminated

Focusing on the sentence structure, we have one similar to - "Discovered by X, planet Z, which is to be ABC,as announced by..... " Planet Z has no verb in the sentence. Eliminated

Omititng decorative words, we have a sentence structure as follows -
MPC announced that in the IMP table, the planet 207715,( modifier 1 describing this planet's discovery), will be named "Muqin" (modifier 2 describing the meaning of Muqin),in its journal. Correct

Minor Planet Center (MPC) was NOT discovered by the scientists; the planet was. Incorrect positioning of modifier.Eliminated

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 04:29
My only issue with D was the last phrase "in it's journal" can apply to any of the previous phrases so, we are not quite sure which one if those it applies to

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 89

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [2], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
Another tough one. I went with "A" finally, hoping that my answer will be correct.

In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

--Correct.
-- In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table --> If we go through the part that is not striked, the sentence makes sense. All the modifiers are modifying correctly what they should modify.

--1. The construction is very very awkward.
--2. "that" is wrongly used.
--3. "which" highlighted in red is wrong, since the scientists didn't discover the word "Muqin Shuijao", instead they discovered planet number 207715.

--1.This is not a sentence.

--1. The first "that" should be followed by a noun, but here it is followed by a prepositional phrase. I would prefer a construction such as given in option A "announced that it"
--2. "in its journal" is used very ambiguously. The announcement was made in the journal but from the option it seems as if the table in which the name will be updated is present in the journal.
--3. "in its journal" should modify MPC, but it is very far from "MPC".

--1. The MPC wasn't discovered by the chinese scientists. This is a case of misplaced modifier.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [2], given: 126

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 478

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 05:21
souvik101990 wrote:

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Its between A and D.

Others have modifier problems.

Will go with A.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 478

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 932

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 05:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:

It's a lengthy one...I think the correct option is "A"

Eliminated because of Wrong construction of sentence.....makes a mess of the sentence...a disaster

(C) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715, which is to be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, or “water cellar for mothers” in English, as announced by the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) in its journal......??????.

The subject "minor planet number 20771" has a modifier afterwards...but has no verb....a sentence without a subject or verb is a fragment and can not stand alone.

in it's journal is wrongly placed here...confuses the reader to assume that planet will be named so and so in the journal...the sentence originally meant that the announcement by MPC was done in it's journal...so in it's journal should come as close as possible to the verb announced

The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) was not discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) ...rather it was minor planet number 207715,which was discovered by CAS... a classic case of misplaced modifier....."Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007" should be followed by minor planet number 207715

Coming to A...

Absolutely Correct Construction.... :-)

Please hit kudos button below if you found my post helpful..TIA

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 932

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 12:39
I think between A and D, A is correct. D has tense issue. will officially be named is future and we talking about past even, so would is corrcet

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 96

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:40
option A,,,,
'announced' is in past,,hence,,,use of would is better....

A is the best...

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 96

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 06:30
+1 for A. My take :

Meaning - MPC published a journal is which it made an announcement. The announcement was that it would officially name planet nos 207715 , which was discovered by scientists in CAS , as Muqin Shuijao. Muqin Shuijao in English means "water cellar for mothers" as per international minor planet table.

Error analysis - The sentence is correct and contains no error. Meaning and logic are in place.

POE

A) Correct
B) Meaning error. MPC announced it would officially name... not that "ïn the international table ..." - Wrong
C) "as announced by ..." is the wrong modifier here. This modifier is supposed to modify the announcement , instead it modifies the planet - Wrong
D) Similar error as B. MPC announces that it would officially name ... and not announce that in the international table.... - Wrong
E) Scientist did not discover MPC. Wrong

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 06:59

(A) In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.:correct

(B) The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table that it would officially name minor planet number 207715 “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English and which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007.: that not required and is awkward and giving a which and which parallelism indicates Muqin shijao the name was discovered by scientist and not the planet

(C) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715, which is to be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, or “water cellar for mothers” in English, as announced by the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) in its journal. the passive construction makes a serious meaning issue

(D) The U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that in the international minor planet table, minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, will officially be named “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in its journal.: will must be would

(E) Discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.: discovered must modify the planet ,current meaning MPC was discovered

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 56

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 10:45
Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

A.Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.
As per this option, US based minor planet center (MPC) was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007. This is a wrong modification. As per the intended meaning, minor planet number 207715 was discovered by the scientists. Apart from this modification error, there is error on the usage of the verb - will. As the announcement is done in the past, so use of would is required in this context.

B.US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table it would officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, and which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007.
As per this option, “Muqin Shuijao” was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007. This is again a wrong modification as per the intended meaning of the sentence. It was actually minor planet number 207715 which was discovered by the scientists. Also, the placement of the prepositional phrase - in the international minor planet table - is incorrect.

C.Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715 will be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, announced US based minor planet center (MPC) in its journal.
The usage of the verb - will be officially named is incorrect as the announcement made by MPC is in the past, so usage of would instead of will is required. Also, the sentence is in passive voice and the meaning is not very clear from the current structure. The modifiers which and verb-ed at the end of the sentence are not connected properly.

-- “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, announced US based minor planet center (MPC) in its journal. -- the structure is a bit awkward and clumsy. It seems as if “Muqin Shuijao” announced something. The usage of the verb will be is incorrect as explained in option A.

D.US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table, it will officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English.
This option has multiple errors. Firstly, the two independent clauses are not connected properly. IC1 comma + FANBOYS IC2, is the correct method. Here the 2 ICs, MPC announced and it will officially name are not connected properly. Secondly, the placement of the prepositional phrase - in the international minor planet table - is incorrect as in option B. Thirdly, the usage of the verb will is incorrect as explained in option A.

E.US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table
This is the correct answer as it conveys the intended meaning in a very clear and crisp way. All the modifiers are placed at appropriate positions and are modifying the intended logical entity.

I have one query regarding the usage of following, any help regarding that would be really helpful for me,
As per my understanding the usage NAME X AS Y and NAME X Y, both are correct. Is that true?? Can someone elaborate more on these usages.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 11:58
aceGMAT21 wrote:
I have one query regarding the usage of following, any help regarding that would be really helpful for me,
As per my understanding the usage NAME X AS Y and NAME X Y, both are correct. Is that true?? Can someone elaborate more on these usages.

Yes both are correct, but the usage depends on the meaning of the sentence.

For example:
John was named as manager. --> Here it doesn't mean that John's name was changed to "manager". His position is that of a manager.
John was named black beard. -->Here it means that John actually got a new name "black beard".

In the question at hand the planet will be given a name, so "name X as Y" won't work, since we actually want to name the planet and not give it a "designation".

Hope that helps!
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 00:15
gmatexam439 wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:

Yes both are correct, but the usage depends on the meaning of the sentence.

For example:
John was named as manager. --> Here it doesn't mean that John's name was changed to "manager". His position is that of a manager.
John was named black beard. -->Here it means that John actually got a new name "black beard".

In the question at hand the planet will be given a name, so "name X as Y" won't work, since we actually want to name the planet and not give it a "designation".

Hope that helps!
Regards

Thanks for the explanation! :-)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 00:05
gmatexam439 wrote:
Another tough one. I went with "A" finally, hoping that my answer will be correct.

--Correct.
-- In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center (MPC) announced that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table --> If we go through the part that is not striked, the sentence makes sense. All the modifiers are modifying correctly what they should modify.

--3. "which" highlighted in red is wrong, since the scientists didn't discover the word "Muqin Shuijao", instead they discovered planet number 207715.

--1. The first "that" should be followed by a noun, but here it is followed by a prepositional phrase. I would prefer a construction such as given in option A "announced that it"
--2. "in its journal" is used very ambiguously. The announcement was made in the journal but from the option it seems as if the table in which the name will be updated is present in the journal.

--1. The MPC wasn't discovered by the chinese scientists. This is a case of misplaced modifier.

Hello gmatexam,

I was stuck between A and D.
Is it always true that after "THAT",in a sentence, a NOUN/PRONOUN must follow ?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 10:57
Took me 3 mins to get to answer A :(.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 22:42
amargad0391 wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

--Correct.

Hello gmatexam,

I was stuck between A and D.
Is it always true that after "THAT",in a sentence, a NOUN/PRONOUN must follow ?

Thanks

Hi,

I haven't come across any official sentence in which a prepositional phrase comes after "that". In the aforesaid explanation I wrote that I would PREFER a construction with noun following a "that"; this is NOT an absolute RULE.

I hope that helps.
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Re: QOTD: In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2017, 22:42

QOTD: In its journal, the U.S.-based Minor Planet Center

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap