It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: In order to maintain the competitive edge our company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: In order to maintain the competitive edge our company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 19:48
warriorguy wrote:
Is there a typo? Shouldn't it be 'did not follow'?

Quote:
Employees who fail to comply with those policies and follow the steps described in the training courseare compromising the security of the company's intellectual property and will face stern consequences.

Hi, I think that the original sentence is fine, because it applies parallelism: "fail to comply with.... and (fail to) follow...."

Btw, regarding your reasoning on option (A)

warriorguy wrote:
Quote:
(A) Competitors and foreign governments might be able to use the company's laptops to access information stored on its networks. -
Close contender. I feel this is a trap option. What if the laptop data is already encrypted by a diligent employee. In that case, the inference doesn't stand true since competitors won't be able to use the data stored on the laptop.

To be honest, I'm quite impressed by the case you mentioned above. I didn't even think about it before :P However, just take a closer look at this option, you can see the chance of competitors' accessing information stored on the company's laptops is not impossible. The soft language "might be able to" might be the key here. When you said "what if...", you may leave room for other situations when that "what if" does not come true.

Quote:
(E) Employees use company issued physical assets, such as laptops and mobile phones, to store research data, training materials, and company memos. -

Also, as per my observation, compared to strong expression in choice (E), "weak statement" using "might" in choice (A) has higher chance of being a correct answer for Inference question type.

Just wanna share some of my thoughts. If you have any comment, I'm glad to hear. :)

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 19:53
By the way, looking forward to your awesome explanation, as always, GMATNinja

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
QOTD: In order to maintain the competitive edge our company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 01:51
Lucy Phuong wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
Is there a typo? Shouldn't it be 'did not follow'?

Quote:
Employees who fail to comply with those policies and follow the steps described in the training courseare compromising the security of the company's intellectual property and will face stern consequences.

Hi, I think that the original sentence is fine, because it applies parallelism: "fail to comply with.... and (fail to) follow...."

Btw, regarding your reasoning on option (A)

warriorguy wrote:
Quote:
(A) Competitors and foreign governments might be able to use the company's laptops to access information stored on its networks. -
Close contender. I feel this is a trap option. What if the laptop data is already encrypted by a diligent employee. In that case, the inference doesn't stand true since competitors won't be able to use the data stored on the laptop.

To be honest, I'm quite impressed by the case you mentioned above. I didn't even think about it before :P However, just take a closer look at this option, you can see the chance of competitors' accessing information stored on the company's laptops is not impossible. The soft language "might be able to" might be the key here. When you said "what if...", you may leave room for other situations when that "what if" does not come true.

Quote:
(E) Employees use company issued physical assets, such as laptops and mobile phones, to store research data, training materials, and company memos. -

Also, as per my observation, compared to strong expression in choice (E), "weak statement" using "might" in choice (A) has higher chance of being a correct answer for Inference question type.

Just wanna share some of my thoughts. If you have any comment, I'm glad to hear. :)

Hi Lucy Phuong, Thanks for the clarification. SC goes out of the window whenever I read CR. Need to be more diligent :P

I re-read the argument after I saw the OA. Option (A) sounds like a conclusion to me -

"Since Employees who fail to comply with those policies and follow the steps described in the training course are compromising the security of the company's intellectual property and will face stern consequences.. " Hence, we can conclude that " Competitors and foreign governments might be able to use the company's laptops to access information stored on its networks".

As you mentioned the test case could be an odd case or two, if everyone followed that policy then they wouldn't urge the employees to follow secure practices. Also, there is an element of uncertainty (possible scenario - as you pointed out) that makes this option more apt.

As for Option (E), it sounds more like an assumption (premise) rather than a conclusion.

Because employees store data in physical assets and since there is a risk of attack, we can conclude "option A".

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 02:32
warriorguy wrote:
Hi Lucy Phuong, Thanks for the clarification. SC goes out of the window whenever I read CR. Need to be more diligent :P

I re-read the argument after I saw the OA. Option (A) sounds like a conclusion to me -

"Since Employees who fail to comply with those policies and follow the steps described in the training course are compromising the security of the company's intellectual property and will face stern consequences.. " Hence, we can conclude that " Competitors and foreign governments might be able to use the company's laptops to access information stored on its networks".

As you mentioned the test case could be an odd case or two, if everyone followed that policy then they wouldn't urge the employees to follow secure practices. Also, there is an element of uncertainty (possible scenario - as you pointed out) that makes this option more apt.

As for Option (E), it sounds more like an assumption (premise) rather than a conclusion.

Because employees store data in physical assets and since there is a risk of attack, we can conclude "option A".

Yes, indeed. That's what I wanna say. To me, these indicators of expression are sometimes really helpful, especially in evaluating 2 remaining answer choices. The above question is an example. :)

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 04:23
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 47: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

In order to maintain the competitive edge our company has gained through extensive research, decades of experience, and development of innovative methods, we must ensure that information security remains a top priority. The information stored on our networks, such as research data, training materials, and company memos, could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. In order to safeguard this information, we require that all employees adhere to strict password and data encryption policies and complete a training course detailing steps to avoid theft or loss of company-issued physical assets, such as laptops and mobile phones. Employees who fail to comply with those policies and follow the steps described in the training course are compromising the security of the company's intellectual property and will face stern consequences.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

(A) Competitors and foreign governments might be able to use the company's laptops to access information stored on its networks.

(B) Employees who repeatedly fail to comply with the password and data encryption policies will most likely face termination.

(C) The company competes, either directly or indirectly, with at least one foreign government.

(D) Employees who have not yet completed the training course detailing steps to avoid theft or loss of company issued physical assets are likely to have their their laptops or mobile phones stolen.

(E) Employees use company issued physical assets, such as laptops and mobile phones, to store research data, training materials, and company memos.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

I was doubtful between A and E. I prefer E over A because A only mention "Company's Laptop", however in the passage itself there are other assets such as "mobile phone" mentioned. The answer choice A is being more specific about just 1 asset "Company's Laptop".

Had the answer choice A be like "Competitors and foreign governments might be able to use the company's assets, such as laptops to access information stored on its networks." This would have no contender.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 40

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1488

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 17:02
At a quick glance, all choices sound good.
Nevertheless, after reading each option carefully, I keep A and E.
A is much better than E b/c we cannot make an inference that "employees will use physical assets of the company"

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1488

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 02:44
I still don't get why option C is the wrong answer.

(C) The company competes, either directly or indirectly, with at least one foreign government.

The argument says competitors AND foreign government. So wouldn't that mean that competitors and foreign government is a threat to the companies information and that it deals with competitors and foreign government. If the argument says competitors OR foreign government, I would understand why C is wrong. But I don't see how option C cannot be inferred from the passage.

I also think option A is very narrow and specific to be inferred from the passage.

thoughts?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 64

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 1488

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
pra1785 wrote:
I still don't get why option C is the wrong answer.

The argument says competitors AND foreign government. So wouldn't that mean that competitors and foreign government is a threat to the companies information and that it deals with competitors and foreign government. If the argument says competitors OR foreign government, I would understand why C is wrong. But I don't see how option C cannot be inferred from the passage.

I also think option A is very narrow and specific to be inferred from the passage.

thoughts?

the author did not mean that in C.
"information COULD be valuable to foreign competitors and government ALIKE"
See? the author never means the company competes against at least 1 foreign government -> C is not always true

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 1488

Re: QOTD: In order to maintain the competitive edge our company   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 03:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

QOTD: In order to maintain the competitive edge our company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap