Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Assumptionx   Numbers & Percentx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [474]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [148]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31900 [28]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [21]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The best way to answer this question is via negation technique.

A states - "The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis"
Negate A: The nursery sells less than 10 different varieties of clematis. --> Out of 1 million if less than 10 varieties are sold, then there is atleast one variety ( >10% popularity) which is more popular than Jackmanii (10% popularity) --> Conclusion breaks down.

A is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [18]

Send PM
Re: Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Many of the explanations here are completely correct, so I'm not sure that I have anything astoundingly new to add to the discussion. But we've had a few requests for expert help, so I'll give this a whirl.

For Arpit, among others: I think that part of the confusion is that we're looking for an assumption that's necessary. That doesn't always mean that it's going to be 100% airtight, or that you'll be able to reach the conclusion with 100% certainty based on that assumption. But the correct answer will be something that's needed to draw the conclusion, even if it's not enough by itself.

In other words: without that assumption, the conclusion couldn't hold.

I see lingering doubts in the thread about why (E) is wrong and why (A) is right.

Let's start with (E):

Quote:
(E.) For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.

This is admittedly a little bit tempting: sure, it would strengthen the argument. But this isn't a strengthen question: we need to know whether this is NECESSARY to draw the conclusion that "the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America."

And it isn't necessary: even if (E) is NOT true -- for example, if jackmanii accounts for less than 10% of clematis plants at a few nurseries -- it's still possible that jackmanii is the most popular. And since (E) isn't necessary, it's not the correct answer.

So what about (A)?

Quote:
(A) The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis

This NEEDS to be true. If the nursery sells fewer than 10 different varieties, then there's no way that jackmanii -- with a market share of 10% at the biggest nursery -- could possibly be #1. This is absolutely necessary to draw the conclusion -- and therefore our correct answer.

But again, (A) isn't necessarily sufficient by itself, either: you could have 20 varieties, and jackmanii could, in theory, be beaten out by one or more of them. But you still need to assume that there are more than 10 in order for jackmanii to be #1. The key takeaway: an assumption can be 100% necessary (and therefore the correct answer), while still leaving possibilities for the conclusion to be false.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
AnuragRatna wrote:
Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii. This belief is apparently correct since, of the one million clematis plants sold per year by the largest clematis nursery in North America, ten percent are jackmanii.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

a.The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis
b.the largest clematis nursery in North America sells nothing but clematis plants
c.some of the jackmanii sold by the nursery are sold to gardeners outside North America
d.most North American gardeners grow clematis in their gardens
e.For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.

Conclusion says:

Jackmanii is most popular of all variets of clemantis. to proove this argument tells us that 10% of all clemantis are jackmanii

Lets say we have 100 plants sold in month. Now if 10 are jackmanii there is possibility that there exists another variety that is sold 50% or more then our conclusion goes down. To prevent conclusion agains this criticisism we need to say that theier exists atleast 10 variety of Clementis.

Option E: this can be falsified: what if there are only two varieties of clementis. then other varitey will be 90%. moreover we are concerned with overall sales of jackmanii So their can be another case where one of stores sells none and other sells more than 15%. So average again comes down to 10%
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
sayantanc2k and other experts
please help me, my understanding on this question totally wrong, and even after reading comments I am still not convinced.
Conclusion is belief is correct , now what is that belief; the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii.
Here I thought we are talking about whole NA gardeners

premise to help on this will be based on single nursery, which is largest one. from here I started making assumptions .......
1) There must be other nurseries , which sell "varieties of clematis" and if they sell jackmanii as there also with highest percentage , then we can conclude the jackmanii is most popular one. I straight way discard A because it is talking about one nursery.

please help me understanding question first. What is part of the question which i wrongly understood.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mbaprep2016 wrote:
sayantanc2k and other experts
please help me, my understanding on this question totally wrong, and even after reading comments I am still not convinced.
Conclusion is belief is correct , now what is that belief; the variety of clematis vine that is most popular among gardeners in North America is jackmanii.
Here I thought we are talking about whole NA gardeners

premise to help on this will be based on single nursery, which is largest one. from here I started making assumptions .......
1) There must be other nurseries , which sell "varieties of clematis" and if they sell jackmanii as there also with highest percentage , then we can conclude the jackmanii is most popular one. I straight way discard A because it is talking about one nursery.

please help me understanding question first. What is part of the question which i wrongly understood.

The main point of the argument is as follows:

The belief is based on the fact that among all varieties of clematis, the jackmanii is the variety that is sold the most by the largest nursery.

Now if jackmanii constitutes 10% of the total sales by the nursery, then there must be more than ten varieties sold by the nursery - if there had been 10 or less no. of varieties sold, then there would have been at least one other variety that was sold 10% or more and thus jackmanii would not have been the one that was sold the most by the largest nursery.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
a.The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis ( RIGHT ANSWER : This is the only scenario in which 10 percent can become the largest possible percentage for anyone variety. Because say if there are only 10 varieties then the sales of each one of them can be 10% and if we decrease the percentage of anyone variety in this scenario by say 1% then that 1% will get added to some other variety thereby making it 11% and then that variety will become the variety with the largest sales numbers overtaking jackamanii.)
b.the largest clematis nursery in North America sells nothing but clematis plants ( WRONG ANSWER : This has nothing to do with the argument)
c.some of the jackmanii sold by the nursery are sold to gardeners outside North America ( WRONG ANSWER: This option is irrelevant to the argument.)
d.most North American gardeners grow clematis in their gardens ( WRONG ANSWER : This doesn’t affect the argument at hand)
e.For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.( Wrong Answer : This option doesn’t talk about the size of the nursery.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Hi,
I have a confusion about this question.
The question says jackmanii is the most popular among gardeners. It doesn't say that the best selling plant of this largest nursery is jackmanii . Jackmani might be the most popular plant in the whole country but this particular nursery might be selling another flower more. So how do we know that sales share of Jackmani ,%10, is the largest in this nursery?What am I missing?
Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
deucebigalow wrote:
Hi,
I have a confusion about this question.
The question says jackmanii is the most popular among gardeners. It doesn't say that the best selling plant of this largest nursery is jackmanii . Jackmani might be the most popular plant in the whole country but this particular nursery might be selling another flower more. So how do we know that sales share of Jackmani ,%10, is the largest in this nursery?What am I missing?
Thanks.

The conclusion is that the belief--that jackmanii is the most popular variety of clematis vine among North American gardeners--is apparently correct. In other words, the evidence in the passage should support the belief of those gardeners. This does not mean that the evidence in the passage has to prove that the belief is accurate.

The conclusion is that the belief is apparently correct, not that the belief must be true. So, even if we could come up with scenarios that would make that belief inaccurate, the reasoning and conclusion in this passage would not be impacted.

This sets us up for choice (A), as described below: https://gmatclub.com/forum/many-gardene ... l#p1834817
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Re: QOTD: Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine [#permalink]
Kudos
In option A- The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis. Suppose, the nursey sells 12 varieties. Of the 12 varieties, suppose 10 varieties are sold at 5 % each, jackmanii at 10% and the other one at 40%. So, howcan we say that Jckamnii si the most popular considering that the sales of someone else is greater than 10%.Also, nowhere in the premise it's given that 10% is the highest sale.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [8]

Send PM
QOTD: Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
In option A- The nursery sells more than 10 different varieties of clematis. Suppose, the nursey sells 12 varieties. Of the 12 varieties, suppose 10 varieties are sold at 5 % each, jackmanii at 10% and the other one at 40%. So, howcan we say that Jckamnii si the most popular considering that the sales of someone else is greater than 10%.Also, nowhere in the premise it's given that 10% is the highest sale.

As explained in the explanation above, we do not need to PROVE that jackmanii is the most popular variety in NA or even that it is the most popular variety at the nursery. But if jackmanii is NOT the most popular variety at the nursery, then the author's argument falls apart.

If the nursery sells fewer than ten varieties, then there is no way that jackmanii is more popular than all of the others. At best, if there are exactly ten varieties, then jackmanii might be tied for #1. And if there are fewer than 10 varieties, then there MUST be other type that accounts for more than 10% of sales.

It is absolutely true that even with more than 10 varieties, jackmanii might not be #1. But in order for jackmanii to be #1, you MUST assume that there are more than 10 varieties. Choice (A) does not prove that the conclusion is true, but the conclusion CANNOT be true unless (A) is assumed. That makes (A) a required assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
QOTD: Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
But what about the other 90%? What if another variety of clematis accounts for MORE than 10% of the one million? In that case, jackmanii would not be the most popular variety at the nursery. However, if no other variety accounts for 10% (or more) of the one million, then jackmanii would be in fact be the most popular variety at the nursery.

Would that prove that jackmanii is the most popular variety in NA? Not necessarily. But if jackmanii is #1 at the largest nursery, that's certainly EVIDENCE that jackmanii is #1 in NA. Again, we are trying to conclude that the belief is APPARENTLY correct, not that the believe is DEFINITELY correct. As long as we have evidence that jackmanii is the most popular variety among NA gardeners, we're in good shape.

Quote:
If the nursery sells 10 varieties or fewer, then there would HAVE to be another variety that accounts for more than 10% of the one million plants sold at the nursery. If that were true, then jackmanii could not be the most popular variety at the nursery. Thus, we would not have evidence that jackmanii is #1 in NA. Without choice (A), the argument falls apart.

Now, does choice (A) PROVE that jackmanii is #1 at the nursery? Not at all... even with 20 varieties, there could be another type that accounts for more than 10% of the million. That, of course, would ruin the argument.

Even if choice (A) is true, the argument may or may not be valid, but that's okay. In other words, choice (A) doesn't PROVE that the author's reasoning is sound. But without choice (A), the author's argument could not be valid. This is a required assumption, so keep (A).

Dear GMATNinja or GMATNinjaTwo,

#1 a big gap btw the premises and conclusion
GMATNinja wrote:
premises:
    The largest clematis nursery in NA sells one million clematis plants per year.
    Of the one million clematis plants sold per year by that nursery, ten percent are jackmanii.

conclusion: he gardener's belief--that jackmanii is the most popular variety of clematis vine among gardeners in North America (NA)--is apparently correct

Anyone think that this argument has a gap that generalizes (NA)from a special nursery (the largest nursery)
even as the premises above, it does not lead to the conclusion, a top sale in the largest nursery does not mean the most popular in NA (North America),
it is highly possible that the others nurseries expect the largest one sells one kind of clematis vines, say X, far more then the largest one sales jackmanii, the top sales.
Then X is much more popular than jackmanii,
see, we can weaken the most popular,
So it seems not so closely that lead to conclusion

One reason i haven't gotten A is correct.

#2what's assumption?
Seems i haven't gotten what assumption.

IMO, assumption is one unstated premise, which the author believes conclusion MUST BE TRUE if based the assumption.

That why i did not understand a part of your explanation :
Even if choice (A) is true, the argument may or may not be valid, but that's okay. In other words, choice (A) doesn't PROVE that the author's reasoning is sound.

if the argument is invalid, does it still be an assumption, seems it does NOT consist with the definition of assumption.

another reason i did not get A is correct.

#3 what's required assumption
Is required assumption a segment of assumption. if is, then required assumption has the character, the conclusion MUST BE TRUE based on required assumption, right?

#4 difference bwt "apparently" and "definitely"
As you mentioned, The conclusion would be substantially different if we were to replace "apparently" with "definitely".
Would you please explain further?
you emphase "PROVE" , a word leading me to consider it a strengthen question, I think i must miss something, would you please help?

Have a nice day
>_~

Originally posted by zoezhuyan on 26 Mar 2018, 00:30.
Last edited by zoezhuyan on 26 Mar 2018, 05:17, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
But what about the other 90%? What if another variety of clematis accounts for MORE than 10% of the one million? In that case, jackmanii would not be the most popular variety at the nursery. However, if no other variety accounts for 10% (or more) of the one million, then jackmanii would be in fact be the most popular variety at the nursery.

Would that prove that jackmanii is the most popular variety in NA? Not necessarily. But if jackmanii is #1 at the largest nursery, that's certainly EVIDENCE that jackmanii is #1 in NA. Again, we are trying to conclude that the belief is APPARENTLY correct, not that the believe is DEFINITELY correct. As long as we have evidence that jackmanii is the most popular variety among NA gardeners, we're in good shape.

Quote:
If the nursery sells 10 varieties or fewer, then there would HAVE to be another variety that accounts for more than 10% of the one million plants sold at the nursery. If that were true, then jackmanii could not be the most popular variety at the nursery. Thus, we would not have evidence that jackmanii is #1 in NA. Without choice (A), the argument falls apart.

Now, does choice (A) PROVE that jackmanii is #1 at the nursery? Not at all... even with 20 varieties, there could be another type that accounts for more than 10% of the million. That, of course, would ruin the argument.

Even if choice (A) is true, the argument may or may not be valid, but that's okay. In other words, choice (A) doesn't PROVE that the author's reasoning is sound. But without choice (A), the author's argument could not be valid. This is a required assumption, so keep (A).

Dear GMATNinja or GMATNinjaTwo,

#1 a big gap btw the premises and conclusion
GMATNinja wrote:
premises:
    The largest clematis nursery in NA sells one million clematis plants per year.
    Of the one million clematis plants sold per year by that nursery, ten percent are jackmanii.

conclusion: he gardener's belief--that jackmanii is the most popular variety of clematis vine among gardeners in North America (NA)--is apparently correct

Anyone think that this argument has a gap that generalizes (NA)from a special nursery (the largest nursery)
even as the premises above, it does not lead to the conclusion, a top sale in the largest nursery does not mean the most popular in NA (North America),
it is highly possible that the others nurseries expect the largest one sells one kind of clematis vines, say X, far more then the largest one sales jackmanii, the top sales.
Then X is much more popular than jackmanii,
see, we can weaken the most popular,
So it seems not so closely that lead to conclusion

One reason i haven't gotten A is correct.

#2what's assumption?
Seems i haven't gotten what assumption.

IMO, assumption is one unstated premise, which the author believes conclusion MUST BE TRUE if based the assumption.

That why i did not understand a part of your explanation :
Even if choice (A) is true, the argument may or may not be valid, but that's okay. In other words, choice (A) doesn't PROVE that the author's reasoning is sound.

if the argument is invalid, does it still be an assumption, seems it does NOT consist with the definition of assumption.

another reason i did not get A is correct.

#3 what's required assumption
Is required assumption a segment of assumption. if is, then required assumption has the character, the conclusion MUST BE TRUE based on required assumption, right?

#4 difference bwt "apparently" and "definitely"
As you mentioned, The conclusion would be substantially different if we were to replace "apparently" with "definitely".
Would you please explain further?
you emphase "PROVE" , a word leading me to consider it a strengthen question, I think i must miss something, would you please help?

Have a nice day
>_~

The author is simply arguing that there is evidence suggesting that jackmanii is #1 in NA. Yes, it is possible that, despite this evidence, jackmanii is not #1. We don't care about that possibility. As long as jackmanii is #1 at the nursery, then we have evidence that it is #1 in NA. In other words, in that case, jackmanii is apparently #1 in NA. This absolutely does not prove that jackmanii is #1, but the author is not trying to prove anything.

Consider the following example:

• Most Americans believe that the Big Mac is the most popular sandwich at McDonalds.
  • This belief is apparently correct. A recent study looked at sales of the 1,000 highest-revenue-generating McDonalds in the US. The number of Big Macs sold at those restaurants was twice as large as the number of any other sandwich sold.

Does that PROVE that Big Macs are #1 in the US? Nope. But the argument is not concerned with proving anything. The argument simply says that the evidence supports the belief of most Americans. So even if Big Macs are NOT #1, the logic of this argument is not flawed. Similarly, the argument in the passage is not invalid at all, regardless of whether clematis is actually #1.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
The conclusion of this passage is that the gardener's belief--that jackmanii is the most popular variety of clematis vine among gardeners in North America (NA)--is apparently correct. The word "apparently" is very important here. The conclusion would be substantially different if we were to replace "apparently" with "definitely".

More on that in a moment... but first, why does the author conclude that the belief is apparently correct?

• The largest clematis nursery in NA sells one million clematis plants per year.
  • Of the one million clematis plants sold per year by that nursery, ten percent are jackmanii.

A substantial chunk of the clematis plants sold at the largest nursery are jackmanii. The author reasons that jackmanii's popularity at the largest nursery is a good indicator of its popularity among NA gardeners.

With that in mind, let's look at the answer choices:

Quote:

Quote:
(B) The largest clematis nursery in North America sells nothing but clematis plants

The nursery could sell many other types of plants. As long as jackmanii is the most popularity variety of clematis plant sold at the nursery, then the author's reasoning holds up. This is not a required assumption, so eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Some of the jackmanii sold by the nursery are sold to gardeners outside North America

If a substantial portion of jackmanii sales were to gardeners outside of NA, then we might have a problem. That might suggest that jackmanii's popularity at the nursery is NOT a good indicator of jackmanii's popularity among NA gardeners.

Choice (C) only says that SOME of the jackmanii are sold to gardeners outside of NA. In that case, the jackmanii sales at the nursery are probably a good indicator of its popularity among NA gardeners.

Does that make (C) a REQUIRED assumption? If (C) were not true and the nursery ONLY sold jackmanii to gardeners within NA, then that would probably further strengthen the argument. That would give us even more reason to believe that the sales at the nursery are a good indicator of NA popularity. Choice (C) is not a required assumption, so eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) Most North American gardeners grow clematis in their gardens

It doesn't matter whether clematis is a popular plant in general. The belief is that jackmanii is the most popular variety OF clematis. Even if only a tiny fraction of NA gardeners grow clematis, jackmanii could still be the most popular variety among those gardeners who DO grow clematis. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) For all nurseries in North America that specialize in clematis, at least 10% of the clematis plants they sell are jackmanii.

This is admittedly a little bit tempting: sure, it would strengthen the argument. But this isn't a strengthen question: we need to know whether this is NECESSARY to draw the conclusion.

And it isn't necessary: even if (E) is NOT true -- for example, if jackmanii accounts for less than 10% of clematis plants at a few nurseries -- it's still possible that jackmanii is the most popular. And since (E) isn't necessary, it's not the correct answer.

(A) is the best answer.

Even if A is not true the conclusion can be true. Consider a situation in which there are only two variety of clematis & the largest nursery export the other variety (which consists of 90%) to neighboring country and all of jackmanii's (10%) to NA still jackmanii's will be most popular, hence option A is not necessary for the conclusion to be true.
Please explain where I am making mistake?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [9]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Many gardeners believe that the variety of clematis vine that is most [#permalink]
Kudos