It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Over 75 percent of the energy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17037 [1], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Over 75 percent of the energy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:52) correct 50% (00:50) wrong based on 266 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 94: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(A) while in Germany it is just over 33 percent
(B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent
(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany
(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17037 [1], given: 1963

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1595 [4], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Over 75 percent of the energy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here’s another great example of the GMAT’s favorite SC concept: if you aren’t strict and literal with the meaning of these sentences, you’re toast. We said a lot about that in our beginners’ guide to SC, and it’s also been a theme in our QOTDs (all of which are available here).

Quote:

The pronoun “it” catches my eye right away. I guess it could refer to “nuclear power”, but that wouldn’t make sense: “in Germany nuclear power is just over 33 percent.” Huh? 33 percent of what?

Maybe “it” refers to “energy”? Nope: “in Germany energy is just over 33 percent.”

OK, what about “energy produced in France”? That’s even worse: “in Germany energy produced in France is just over 33 percent.”

(A) is out.

Quote:

Germany “uses just over 33 percent”… of what? If we look at this one strictly and literally, it makes no sense, either. (B) is gone, too.

Quote:
(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

Ooh, now this is clear. “…nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany.” Fair enough.

(Are most of the bakeries nuclear-powered, too? Because German bakeries are some of the best in the world. I don’t know why more people don’t talk about this. The rest of the world talks about German beer, and German engineering, and German football. But the bakeries mostly get ignored. A couple of weeks ago, we engineered an extended layover in Munich just to eat pretzels. You think I’m joking, don’t you?)

Wait, where were we? I don't see any problems with (C), so let's keep it.

Quote:
(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

This is subtle and nasty. That phrase “33 percent of the energy” doesn’t contain a pronoun, but if you’re being strict and literal with it, you’ll have to ask: what does “the energy” mean? It seems to be referring back to “the energy” that was mentioned earlier in the sentence.

But that’s the problem: “the energy” seems to refer back to “the energy produced in France.” So now the sentence says “whereas just over 33 percent of the energy {produced in France} comes from nuclear power in Germany.” And that doesn’t make sense. Tricky! Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

This has similar problems as (A) and (B). “… where it ("energy"?) is just over 33 percent.” 33 percent of what? (E) is gone, and we’re left with (C).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1595 [4], given: 400

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 14:11
Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

"it" may refer to nuclear power or energy. No proper antecedent for the pronoun.

We don't want to compare the statistics with a country. Invalid comparison.

Again an invalid comparison between the energy and nuclear power.

Correct. "75% of energy" is compared with "33% of energy" correctly.

"it" doesn't have a proper antecedent. "it" can't refer to the "energy from nuclear power". A pronoun should refer back to a noun and not a phrase.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Economics, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.64
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 17:44
D has a proper comparison between the nuclear power usages of the two countries

Sent from my SM-G930F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 185

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 22:49
IMO D

Correct parallelism .
First part - energy produced in France derives from nuclear power
Second part - 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 185

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 23:13
I believe the answer is C

since in option D :

2nd clause is trying to say that 33% energy of the 75% of France energy comes from nuclear power in Germany.
A & E has pronoun error whereas B shows wrong comparison.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 798 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
gmatexam439 , Paulli1982 , gmat8268 , Tango3

Everyone marking D here has simply gone through the grammar without even looking at the meaning.

The question is saying Out of Overall Production of energy in one country, we have some percentage met by Nuclear Power. We need to compare this fact in two countries.

D is saying Out of total energy, 33% comes from Nuclear power IN Germany. Meaning rest nuclear power comes from some other countries. COMPLETE Distortion in MEANING.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 798 [1], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 05:06
Compare 75 percent of ENERGY

(A) while in Germany IT IS (refers to? New clear power or energy?) not clear - out

(B) compared to GERMANY <---> ENERGY wrong comparison

(C) whereas NUCLEAR POWER <---> ENERGY wrong comparison

(D) 33% of ENERGY.... DRIVES <----> NUCLEAR POWER ACCOUNTS not sure about comparison but "in Germany" is position in such a way that mod. power not the whole sentence --> out

(E) 33% of ENERGY <---> ENERGY from nuclear in Germany correct

E ---> my answer

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 798 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 05:19
polpanumas wrote:
Compare 75 percent of ENERGY

(A) while in Germany IT IS (refers to? New clear power or energy?) not clear - out

(B) compared to GERMANY <---> ENERGY wrong comparison

(C) whereas NUCLEAR POWER <---> ENERGY wrong comparison

(D) 33% of ENERGY.... DRIVES <----> NUCLEAR POWER ACCOUNTS not sure about comparison but "in Germany" is position in such a way that mod. power not the whole sentence --> out

(E) 33% of ENERGY <---> ENERGY from nuclear in Germany correct

E ---> my answer

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi polpanumas ,

You have also messed up the meaning. Please read the explanations given here or here.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 798 [0], given: 64

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 03:30
abhimahna wrote:
gmatexam439
Everyone marking D here has simply gone through the grammar without even looking at the meaning.

The question is saying Out of Overall Production of energy in one country, we have some percentage met by Nuclear Power. We need to compare this fact in two countries.

D is saying Out of total energy, 33% comes from Nuclear power IN Germany. Meaning rest nuclear power comes from some other countries. COMPLETE Distortion in MEANING.

Yes bruh, totally missed the point here. Learned an important lesson from this question.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Re: QOTD: Over 75 percent of the energy   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 03:30

QOTD: Over 75 percent of the energy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap