It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:29

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: The hognose snake puts on an impressive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18073 [3], given: 1991

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: The hognose snake puts on an impressive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:26) correct 45% (01:41) wrong based on 779 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 8: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18073 [3], given: 1991

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2037 [0], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 07:48
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a classic case of parallelism, but with some twists. The confusion here usually comes from being unclear about which "verbs" should be verbs, and which should be "-ing" modifiers. (For more on "-ing" words and an explanation of why they're rarely verbs, check out our Topic of the Week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... the%20week)

Let's start with the first underlined word: we have a choice between "broadens" and "broadening." "Broadens" is a verb, and it's parallel with "puts on an impressive bluff" in (A) and (B). "Broadening", on the other hand, is a modifier, giving us extra information about what happens when the snake puts on its bluff -- and that makes much, much more sense. So we can get rid of (A) and (B).

(C) strikes me as being unbelievably long and wordy, but so are all five answer choices. :) More usefully, the parallelism looks OK: "broadening and feigning" are parallel modifiers, both of which continue to describe the snake's "impressive bluff". The pronoun "it" is fine, too: because it's the subject of a new, dependent clause ("but it has no fangs..."), the subject unambiguously refers back to the subject of the first clause ("the hognose snake"). (If you want to read more about this type of pronoun issue, check out my post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/china-s-vast ... l#p1838737. We'll also address this in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

(D) is easier to eliminate: the modifier "broadening" and the verb "feigns" are clearly not parallel.

(E) replaces the "and" before "feigning" with a comma, and that doesn't seem ideal: the sentence is clearer if the two modifiers are in a parallel structure, but I'm not sure that it's a huge problem. The bigger issue is that we don't have a new clause at the end of the underlined portion, because the "it" has been replaced by "with." That causes a problem down the line: at the end of the sentence, we don't have a subject for the verb phrase "will fall over and play dead." So (E) is gone, too.

We're left with (C). In real life, I think it's a wordy, crappy sentence. But that doesn't matter! It's free from egregious errors, so it's the correct answer in GMAT-land.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2037 [0], given: 465

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 28

Schools: Duke '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: QOTD: The hognose snake puts on an impressive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 06:03
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, not parallel structure
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, not parallel structure
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and seems good
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and not parallel structure

hissing and rearing , broadens doesn't seem parallel eliminate A and B

C D E Remain
broadening the... and structure must be followed E eliminated

C and D
but it has no , the it refers to the snake is more concise than but with no

hence C

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 06:48
The answer must be option C. My take -

Meaning - Hognose snake puts up an impressive bluff. It does so by - 1) hissing & rearing back 2) broadening its flesh 3) feigning. But (note the contrast word) it has no fangs and if the pursuer is not cowed down the snake will fall over and play dead. We have two lists here. The first one tells that snake puts up an impressive bluff, has no fangs , and that if pursuer is not cowed down will fall over and play dead. The second list is hissing...broadening ..., and feigning.

Error analysis -

The parallelism mentioned in the second list is missing.
..,but is wrongly used. You need to have a subject after comma and but. Subject is missing in the clause following but.

POE-

a) Parallel structure
b) Parallel structure
c) Correct
d) missing it after ", + but"
e) and missing before feigning. Feigning is the last element in the list. Also repeats the error of option d.

Answer is option C.

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 08:52

Correct Answer : C

Meaning: The hognose snakes puts on an impressive bluff by doing following (list) (comma + ing modifying the preceding clause (.....an impressive bluff)

1- hissing & rearing back
2- Broadening ..... and feigning ....

above list is followed by a contrasting statement after BUT

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,: Incorrect: comma +ing modifier should be used here. Use of Broadens is incorrect
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, Incorrect: comma +ing modifier should be used here. Use of Broadens is incorrect
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and Correct one maintains the parallelism of the list
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and Incorrect feigns should be feigning for maintaining the correct parallism
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and Incorrect Feigning should be preceded by and not by Comma

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 00:21
How does everyone is getting right answer only after GMATNinja points out the correct answer!!

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a46 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Schools: Duke '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 04:15
Krishna3764 wrote:
How does everyone is getting right answer only after GMATNinja points out the correct answer!!

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a46 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

the first reply is reserved for explanation

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 06:21

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

I got this question right but i wanted to know that in Option C the sentence - ",but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom,"
is a independent clause or a dependent clause ?
i thought its an independent since comma is followed by a coordinating conjunction i.e. "but" and it has the pronoun "it"
but in the explanation Expert - "GMATNinja" stated it as dependent clause.

and if it is dependent clause then i guess comma before "but" shouldn't be there.
can someone please explain the flaw in my reasoning :/
thank you

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 109

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 10:34
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a classic case of parallelism, but with some twists. The confusion here usually comes from being unclear about which "verbs" should be verbs, and which should be "-ing" modifiers. (For more on "-ing" words and an explanation of why they're rarely verbs, check out our Topic of the Week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... the%20week)

Let's start with the first underlined word: we have a choice between "broadens" and "broadening." "Broadens" is a verb, and it's parallel with "puts on an impressive bluff" in (A) and (B). "Broadening", on the other hand, is a modifier, giving us extra information about what happens when the snake puts on its bluff -- and that makes much, much more sense. So we can get rid of (A) and (B).

(C) strikes me as being unbelievably long and wordy, but so are all five answer choices. :) More usefully, the parallelism looks OK: "broadening and feigning" are parallel modifiers, both of which continue to describe the snake's "impressive bluff". The pronoun "it" is fine, too: because it's the subject of a new, dependent clause ("but it has no fangs..."), the subject unambiguously refers back to the subject of the first clause ("the hognose snake"). (If you want to read more about this type of pronoun issue, check out my post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/china-s-vast ... l#p1838737. We'll also address this in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

(D) is easier to eliminate: the modifier "broadening" and the verb "feigns" are clearly not parallel.

(E) replaces the "and" before "feigning" with a comma, and that doesn't seem ideal: the sentence is clearer if the two modifiers are in a parallel structure, but I'm not sure that it's a huge problem. The bigger issue is that we don't have a new clause at the end of the underlined portion, because the "it" has been replaced by "with." That causes a problem down the line: at the end of the sentence, we don't have a subject for the verb phrase "will fall over and play dead." So (E) is gone, too.

We're left with (C). In real life, I think it's a wordy, crappy sentence. But that doesn't matter! It's free from egregious errors, so it's the correct answer in GMAT-land.

I understand everything that you have mentioned here but it would be great if you would throw some light on whether we need a Comma before and feigning because this is an end of a 3 item list..

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 109

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1372

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 15:54
all options look confusing.
Only C is correct b/c of "eventually,...., will fall..."

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1372

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 13:52

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, - “broadens” is not parallel to “hissing” and “feigning”
(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, - both “broadens” & “feigns” is not parallel to “hissing”
(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and - no obvious errors
(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and - feigns is not parallel
(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and - “and” is not necessary at the end; the and should be before “feigning” to end the comparison between “hissing”, “broadening” and “feigning”.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 14:11
umg wrote:

I understand everything that you have mentioned here but it would be great if you would throw some light on whether we need a Comma before and feigning because this is an end of a 3 item list..

Hello umg,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Here is the explanation, nonetheless. :-)

It is true that when a list in a sentence contains more than two parallel elements the last element is preceded by comma + connector.

However, we do not see the and before feigning... preceded by a comma. It is so because the sentence in anyway uses a lot of commas at various places for various reasons.

Omission of comma before and makes it absolutely clear that the it is hissing..., broadening..., and feigning... that are meant to be parallel in the sentence.

Just a word of caution here. Never reject or select any answer choice solely on the presence or absence of a punctuation mark. Reject an answer choice only after you have identified at least one solid/deterministic error.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 348

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.25
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 11:23
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 8: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Hissing and Broadening - A and B out

Hissing and rearing, broadening and feigning so C

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 71

Re: QOTD: The hognose snake puts on an impressive   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 11:23

QOTD: The hognose snake puts on an impressive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap