GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:58) correct 37% (01:07) wrong based on 824 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 88: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

SC03315

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:30
Quote:
(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,

So if you’re a regular visitor to the verbal forums, you might have noticed that we’re banging away at a theme: if you aren’t strict and literal with the meaning of these sentences, you’re toast. We said a lot about that in our beginners’ guide to SC, and it’s also been a theme in our QOTDs (all of which are available here).

And this is another example of it! The phrase “human beings in burning fossil fuels” sounds like the human beings are... um, in a fiery tank of coal or oil? That sounds unpleasant. Plus, I’m not sold on the phrase “most scientists agree to be caused.” Seems like “is” would be better than “to be” here. Either way, (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

Hm, the modifier “that is caused by fossil fuels” seems misplaced. It could be OK to say “scientists agree that X is true”, but we’re trying to modify the phenomenon here: “a phenomenon that is caused by fossil fuels” seems fine, but I can’t make sense of this one.

If you wanted to be conservative, you could hang onto (B) for now, but we’ll have a better option in a moment.

Quote:
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings’ burning of fossil fuels,

Pardon my language, but this sounds awkward AF. That’s not a crime, though. (See beginners’ guide to SC, for more on why “awkwardness” shouldn’t be your first worry.) And I can’t see any DEFINITE errors here. The “that” modifier is OK, and I guess I’m cool with the possessive “human beings’ burning of fossil fuels.” I don’t like it. But the GMAT doesn’t care what I like. The meaning makes sense: human beings’ act of burning fossil fuels is indeed the thing that causes global warming.

(C) isn’t wrong. Keep it, perhaps while holding your nose.

Quote:
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,

(D) arguably sounds better than (C), but (D) messes up the meaning. Rearranging slightly, (D) is saying that “scientists agree on global warming as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuel.” First, it would make sense to say that scientists agree that global warming is a phenomenon caused by human beings, but scientists agree on it as a phenomenon isn’t right: that’s basically saying that scientists agree that it’s a phenomenon, but that’s pretty meaningless.

Second, it’s awfully weird to say that global warming is “caused by human beings who burn fossil fuel.” The act of burning fossil fuels causes global warming – not “human beings” who happen to burn fossil fuels.

I can’t totally fault you if you picked (D) over (C), but the meaning is much clearer in (C). I’d cross out (D).

Quote:
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

The argument is similar for (E) as for (D), except that “agree to be a phenomenon” is a completely wacky phrase that makes even less sense than “agree on as a phenomenon.” And in (E), global warming is caused by the fossil fuels themselves, and that’s not quite right: it’s caused by human beings’ act of burning fossil fuels. So (E) warps the meaning, too.

We’re left with (C). I don’t like it, either. But it does a better, clearer job of conveying the meaning than any of the others.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:35
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, -Phenomenon is not caused by human beings
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings, -Phenomenon is not caused by fossil fuels
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, -Correct. Phenomenon is caused by the act of burning of fossil fuels
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels, -Phenomenon is not caused by human beings
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings, -Phenomenon is not caused by fossil fuels

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:38
[quote="souvik101990"]

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 87: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,

Answer B

global warming, a phenomenon.......correct modifier
caused by fossil fuel.......only correct in B......
hope it serves.....
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:42
I would go with answer choice (C). answer should contain " a phenomenon that is caused by the burning of fossil fuels". Not by human beings or by fossil fuels.
Hope this help !
PS Forum Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Aug 2017, 07:11

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,-----"human beings in burning..."does not properly presents the action of human beings. it's an awkward construction

(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,--------this is a passive construction and the use of "burned" signifies that the action happend in the past and is not continuing but that is not correct. the action of burning is continuing, hence it will create problems in future

(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,------Correct. the action of human being's is correctly presented

(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,-----this changes the meaning of the sentence. now instead of a generic effect, the blame is only on human beings who burn fossil fules

(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,-----same error as B

Originally posted by niks18 on 23 Aug 2017, 12:00.
Last edited by niks18 on 24 Aug 2017, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 12:53
mrittik800 wrote:
Answer B

global warming, a phenomenon.......correct modifier
caused by fossil fuel.......only correct in B......
hope it serves.....

Hello mrittik800,

The original sentence intends to say that global warming has been caused because human beings burn fossil fuels.

However, Choice B suggests that global warming has been caused by fossil fuels. The modifier burned by human beings only provide additional information about fossil fuels. But the main cause for global warming is fossil fuels per Choice B.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 20:31

The correct sentence is c. This is a case of Noun + Noun modifier. A phenomenon is modifying global warning and that clause which immediately follows a phenomenon talks more about the phenomenon.

A is wordy and has a meaning error.
B again has a meaning error, it incorrectly implies that global warming is caused by fossil fuels.
D has the same meaning error. Yes, it is caused by human beings but how it is done by them is not clearly stated.
E is wordy and awkward.

Please comment if my explanation has any error.

Thank you
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 12:07
Top Contributor
To make life simple, the fact is that Global warming is caused individually neither by human beings nor by the fossil fuels, but by a combination of human beings' burning of the fossils. This combination is stated only in C.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 19:34
KB04 wrote:

The correct sentence is c. This is a case of Noun + Noun modifier. A phenomenon is modifying global warning and that clause which immediately follows a phenomenon talks more about the phenomenon.

A is wordy and has a meaning error.
B again has a meaning error, it incorrectly implies that global warming is caused by fossil fuels.
D has the same meaning error. Yes, it is caused by human beings but how it is done by them is not clearly stated.
E is wordy and awkward.

Please comment if my explanation has any error.

Thank you

Hello KB04,

You have done a good job at solving this official sentence.

You have stated correct reasons to reject incorrect answer choices.

I would just like to say that Choice E has the same error as Choice B as this choice also says that that fossil fuels cause global warming.

Rest all is good.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 21:05
GMATNinja wrote:

egmat wrote:
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi experts.
I crossed out C immediately after seeing human beings' burning. That did not make sense to me. I thought it means burning of human beings. Eg. Smiths' house means the house of Smiths. Mark's register means the register of marks.
I also had an issue here with regard to the modifier. Because as far as I know, any clause beginning with , modifies the entire previous clause, I am not sure why which is not important in this sentence.
And in D, I thought agree on as a phenomenon is wrong because agree on something means an agreement where two or more parties are arriving at a consensus eg. We all agree on this point. Further, agree on as a phenomenon - as a phenomenon? Well, scientists are not a phenomenon, because as is used for comparison or for function.

Regards,
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 01:50
How do you read

Sam's book ----> book of sam

Black panther's fighting skills ----> Fighting skills of Black Panther

human beings' burning of fossil fuel ----> burning of fossil fuel of human beings?

The last one doesn't make sense. Hence I crossed out C.

Experts egmat, souvik101990, GMATNinja sayantanc2k - please help

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 14:41
pikolo2510 wrote:
How do you read

human beings' burning of fossil fuel ----> burning of fossil fuel of human beings?

I have to admit that this made me pause for a moment. I just put more thought into the word "of" than I ever have in my life -- and I've been teaching grammar in some form or another for... ick, too many years. ;)

Here's the issue: you're right that the word "of" can indicate possession, as in your first two examples. But the word "of" can do a ton of other things as well:

• Indicate membership in a broader category: "the state of Colorado" or "the business of education".
  • Indicate a directional relationship: "Golden is west of Denver."
  • Indicate the material being used for something: "a hat made of meat", "a building of stone", or "the burning of fuel."

And we could go on. Prepositions are a mess in English, and plenty of them have multiple meanings -- and "of" definitely has quite a few.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 01:04
GMATNinja wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
How do you read

I have to admit that this made me pause for a moment. I just put more thought into the word "of" than I ever have in my life -- and I've been teaching grammar in some form or another for... ick, too many years. ;)

Here's the issue: you're right that the word "of" can indicate possession, as in your first two examples. But the word "of" can do a ton of other things as well:

• Indicate membership in a broader category: "the state of Colorado" or "the business of education".
  • Indicate a directional relationship: "Golden is west of Denver."
  • Indicate the material being used for something: "a hat made of meat", "a building of stone", or "the burning of fuel."

And we could go on. Prepositions are a mess in English, and plenty of them have multiple meanings -- and "of" definitely has quite a few.

I hope this helps!

Hey GMATNinja

Unfortunately, i didn't get what you are trying to convey here. I even asked a couple of my friends and even they didnt get what you are trying to convey.

Sorry :cry: , but can you explain in some other way?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 19:55
pikolo2510 wrote:

Hey GMATNinja

Unfortunately, i didn't get what you are trying to convey here. I even asked a couple of my friends and even they didnt get what you are trying to convey.

Ha, sorry for the confusion! Let me give it another shot.

Here are your examples again:

pikolo2510 wrote:

In all three of these examples, the word "of" indicates possession. Here, have another example: "the delicious crust of my pizza" = "my pizza's delicious crust." (Mmm... pizza.)

Here's the problem: in your examples, you're assuming that the word "of" ALWAYS indicates possession. And that certainly isn't always the case. "Of" can do far more than indicate possession. There are more uses of "of" than I could possibly list here, but here are a few examples again of alternate meanings for the word "of":

• Indicate membership in a broader category: "the state of Colorado" or "the business of education". These do not indicate possession -- Colorado doesn't possess the state, and education doesn't possess the business. But Colorado is an example of a state, and education is a category of business.
  • Indicate a directional relationship: "Golden is west of Denver." This doesn't indicate possession, either: Denver does not possess "west" or Golden. The word "of" just helps us understand where two places are in relation to each other.
  • Indicate the material being used for something: "a hat made of meat", "a building of stone", or "the burning of fuel." Again, the meat doesn't possess the hat, stone doesn't possess the building, and fuel does not possess the burning. The word "of" just tells us something about the materials being used for a task.

Notice that the last use of the word "of" is consistent with the version in answer choice (C): in the phrase "human beings' burning of fossil fuel", "of fossil fuel" just indicates the materials used for the human beings' act of burning things.

Does that help at all?

Need an expert reply?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 20:53
(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels - "human beings in burning fossil fuels" is not correct.
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings - a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels- not correct
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels - Correct
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels - phenomenon caused by human beings is not correct
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings - phenomenon caused by fossil fuels is not correct

Ans: C

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 22:49
GMATNinja wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

Hey GMATNinja

Ha, sorry for the confusion! Let me give it another shot.

Here are your examples again:

pikolo2510 wrote:

In all three of these examples, the word "of" indicates possession. Here, have another example: "the delicious crust of my pizza" = "my pizza's delicious crust." (Mmm... pizza.)

Here's the problem: in your examples, you're assuming that the word "of" ALWAYS indicates possession. And that certainly isn't always the case. "Of" can do far more than indicate possession. There are more uses of "of" than I could possibly list here, but here are a few examples again of alternate meanings for the word "of":

• Indicate membership in a broader category: "the state of Colorado" or "the business of education". These do not indicate possession -- Colorado doesn't possess the state, and education doesn't possess the business. But Colorado is an example of a state, and education is a category of business.
  • Indicate a directional relationship: "Golden is west of Denver." This doesn't indicate possession, either: Denver does not possess "west" or Golden. The word "of" just helps us understand where two places are in relation to each other.
  • Indicate the material being used for something: "a hat made of meat", "a building of stone", or "the burning of fuel." Again, the meat doesn't possess the hat, stone doesn't possess the building, and fuel does not possess the burning. The word "of" just tells us something about the materials being used for a task.

Notice that the last use of the word "of" is consistent with the version in answer choice (C): in the phrase "human beings' burning of fossil fuel", "of fossil fuel" just indicates the materials used for the human beings' act of burning things.

Does that help at all?

Thanks a ton GMATNinja

I understood what you are trying to convey :-)

VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 03:25
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.[/quote]

Clearly C makes sense. All the other choices say - GW, a phenomenon caused by either HB or by FF", and this is wrong.

It is the act of burning of fossil fuels that cause GW.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming &nbs [#permalink] 21 May 2018, 03:25

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap