GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 22:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (00:40) correct 41% (00:35) wrong based on 333 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 183: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent.

(A) Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail
(B) Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than half
(C) Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail
(D) While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half
(E) While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/business/smallbusiness/08sbiz.html

The businesses, which favor such Amish skills as furniture-making, quilting, construction work and cooking, have been remarkably successful. Despite a lack of even a high school education (the Amish leave school after the eighth grade), hundreds of Amish entrepreneurs have built profitable businesses based on the Amish values of high quality, integrity and hard work. A 2004 Goshen College study reported that the failure rate of Amish businesses is less than 5 percent, compared with a national small-business default rate that is far higher. (According to a federal study, only two-thirds of all small-business start-ups survive the first two years and fewer than half make it to four years.)

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 22:43
We covered this one in a recent YouTube webinar on comparisons, so if you prefer your explanations in video form, head on over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsa-RaX765o

Quote:
A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail

This one is similar to Monday’s QOTD: basically, the first order of business is to notice the word “unlike”, and then make sure that the two things that follow can logically be compared to each other. And in (A), we clearly have a problem: “Unlike mainstream American businesses…, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community…” Nope, we can’t compare “businesses” with a “failure rate for businesses.”

So (A) is out.

Quote:
B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than
half

(B) has exactly the same problem as (A): “Unlike mainstream American businesses…, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community…” It’s still wrong to compare any type of “businesses” to “the failure rate for businesses.”

I’m also really uncomfortable with the phrase between the commas: “in which the failure rate is more than half”. First of all, I’m not sure that “in” is the right preposition here. The failure rate is inside the businesses, somehow? (“The files are IN the computer?!”) Second, I’m not crazy about the phrase “the failure rate is more than half.” Half of what? I guess we can assume that it’s half of the total, but we could also do much better.

And even if you don’t buy anything I wrote in that last paragraph, the comparison is still very, very wrong, so we can ditch (B).

Quote:
C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail

(C) has exactly the same problem as (A) and (B): “Unlike mainstream American businesses…, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community…” It’s still wrong to compare any type of “businesses” to “the failure rate for businesses.”

Plus, the use of the modifier “where” is pretty illogical. A modifier beginning with “where” needs to modify a place or location of some sort. And sure, I suppose that “mainstream American businesses” are sometimes places, but there’s no good reason for us to emphasize the idea that “more than half of them fail” at the location of the businesses themselves.

And again: even if you don’t give a crap about anything I wrote in that last paragraph, the comparison is still very, very wrong. (C) is gone.

Quote:
D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half

The phrase “the rate of… failing is more than half” is an absolute mess. You could say “more than half of businesses fail” or maybe “the rate of failure is greater than 50%” – but I’m not even sure that that last one is ideal, when we could just say that more than half of businesses fail. But it’s definitely wrong to say “the rate of failing.”

So (D) is gone, and I really really hope that we like (E)…

Quote:
E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail

Party on, this fixes our problem with (D), and sets up the comparison in a completely reasonable and logical way: “While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent.” We have two nice, clean clauses that nicely express the comparison between the failure rates of two types of businesses.

So (E) is our answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Re: QOTD: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 23:25
The question tests comparison issue.

In A, B, C American business is compared to failure rate for business. - eliminate A, B, C

D uses preposition + noun + ing form
. Also it's not idiomatic to say rate is half. Incorrect

Imo E

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 00:07
Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail, the failure rate for businesses in the Amish community hovers around 5 percent.

A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail
- incorrect comparison of business to rate [unlike business, the rate]

B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than half

C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail

D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half
- 'rate is more than half' and 'businesses failing' incorrect usage

E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail - correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 01:08
Its E, the only option that is parallel....failure of mainstream american business vs failure of amish community business

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 08:30
A. Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which fail - This statement literally compares mainstream American businesses to failure rate (we simply cannot compare businessex to rate of failure)
B. Unlike mainstream American businesses, in which the failure rate is more than half - Same issue as in A
C. Unlike mainstream American businesses, where more than half of them fail - Same issue as in A
D. While the rate of mainstream American businesses failing is more than half - Rate of failing is unidiomatic. It should be the rate of failure or failure rate
E. While more than half of mainstream American businesses fail - :-)

Hence E
Re: QOTD: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which &nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2017, 08:30

QOTD: Unlike mainstream American businesses, more than half of which

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap