It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17632 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 11:49
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 86: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it .

(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention.

(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17632 [0], given: 1986

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1874 [0], given: 449

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 11:51
I’m not sure why, but this question seems to punk my students fairly often. So if you struggled with it, you’re not alone!

Quote:
(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

This is a little bit tricky to spot, but “drafting” is an “-ing” modifier, and it needs to make sense with the subject that follows. But we never really get a subject that makes sense: the main clause is just “included in it by the author… was a call for female enfranchisement.” Elizabeth Cady Stanton is basically just a modifier here, but the sentence would only work if she’s the subject. (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.

I’m not crazy about the “including a call for female enfranchisement” at the beginning, since that phrase would suggest that we’re introducing some sort of example, and that doesn’t make sense. But the much, much bigger issue is the phrase “that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.” It looks like it’s modifying the convention, and that doesn’t make sense. (More on “that” modifiers in this article.) (B) is gone.

Quote:
(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it.

I like the modifiers in this one, but the verb tenses don’t quite work. The word “when” suggests that two actions happened at the same time, but that’s not reflected in the verb tenses: “When the Declaration of Sentiments… was adopted…, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it.” That doesn’t make sense: if we’re using “when”, the tenses would have to be the same. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention.

This isn’t even a sentence. To have a sentence, we need an independent clause, with subject and a main verb. The structure here is “Noun, modifier, modifier.” The subject, “a call for female enfranchisement” is never actually paired with a verb. (D) fails.

Quote:
(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

No problems here! The sentence starts with “when”, and the verb tenses are nice and consistent: all simple past, throughout the whole thing. The modifier beginning with “that” correctly modifies the Declaration of Sentiments. (E) is our winner.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1874 [0], given: 449

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [1], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
My Answer: E

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement. --The modifiers are all misplaced. "When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848" should modify Elizabeth and hence should be next to it. Also the last statement "was a call for female enfranchisement" is awkwardly modifying Elizabeth.

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote. --Again the initial modifier is misplaced. It should modify Elizabeth. Also, in the latter half of the sentence "that" is wrongly suggesting that Elizabeth wrote Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention.

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it. --The structure is not quiet clear. When the declaration was adopted, a call had been included. It can be written in a far better way.

(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention. --First and foremost, a "comma" should't appear before "that" in this option. Secondly This sentence is not complete.

(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement. --Correct. The meaning of the sentence is clear and all the modifiers modify their respective nouns clearly.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [1], given: 132

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8172 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 14:07
Top Contributor

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement. --- Modification error. After 1848, ECS must come

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote. --- She didn't write the convention

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it. --- a meaning error--- The call was included when the author drafted the Declarations and not when it was adopted

(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention. --- fragment

(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement. --- correct choice.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8172 [0], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 27

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GMATNinja wrote:
Reserved for expert explanation

===========================================================================

Need a little help here. I took 2:30 Sec to solve this and I got E as correct option.
But In real GMAT, 2:30 is really a very bad timing and it should be anyhow under 1:30.

The favor I want from your side is "How to solve these type of fully underlined Question in less time". Also, Usually I end up reading the Question and options more than 2-3 times and it became confusing even after so many reading so many times.

Thanks in advance for your positive reply.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 27

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 06:21
+1 for E. The question suffers from modifier error. In C vs E , I preferred option E because it is in active voice. Besides there is a meaning error in C too. The call was included when it was drafted not adopted. E wins !

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 101

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 20:37
daagh wrote:

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Conventions in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement. --- Modification error. After 1848, ECS must come

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote. --- She didn't write the convention

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it. --- a meaning error--- The call was included when the author drafted the Declarations and not when it was adopted

(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention. --- fragment

(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement. --- correct choice.

===========================================================

Very nice explanation given.

Need a little help here. I took 2:30 Sec to solve this and I got E as correct option.
But In real GMAT, 2:30 is really a very bad timing and it should be anyhow under 1:30.

The favor I want from your side is "How to solve these type of fully underlined Question in less time". Also, Usually I end up reading the Question and options more than 2-3 times and it became confusing even after so many reading so many times.

Thanks in advance for your positive reply.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 89

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 23:50
Isnt the use of 'it' in choice (E) ambiguous?. It can refer to the "Declaration of Sentiments" or the "Convention"

Please let me know what I am thinking wrong (or right).

Thanks !

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 89

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 06:11
senti_pra Same thought, hope someone can help shed some light on this!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [1], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
senti_pra wrote:
Isnt the use of 'it' in choice (E) ambiguous?. It can refer to the "Declaration of Sentiments" or the "Convention"

Please let me know what I am thinking wrong (or right).

Thanks !

Hello senti_pra,

I will be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

Following the sentence with Choice E:

When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

Read the sentence carefully and understand what it conveys. The sentence says that when ECS drafted the DoS, she includes in it a call for female enfranchisement. Her action of including is related to the her action of drafting. And what did she draft? The DoC. So whatever she included, she included in the DoC.So there is no reference ambiguity related to the usage of it in Choice E.

Also note that the that clause after the DoC presents some extra information about the DoC. If we remove this clause from the sentence, then there will be no room for nay confusion about the pronoun reference.

Please bear in mind that presence of multiple nouns does not make the pronoun reference ambiguous. If a pronoun logically refers to more than one noun in a sentence, then we get pronoun reference error.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [1], given: 340

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 14:40
gmathelp101 wrote:
senti_pra Same thought, hope someone can help shed some light on this!

Hello gmathelp101,

Kindly look at my response to senti_pra 's query.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9281 [0], given: 340

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 89

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
egmat makes sense now ! Thanks !

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 89

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 00:36
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 10:03

structure and meaning error : incorrect

meaning error : a draft cant not include a call by itself : incorrect

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it .

use of 'Had been' is wrong ; a call was included before draft got adopted.

Incorrect

Correct

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Re: When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2017, 10:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap