GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Quadratic equations in DS problems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Quadratic equations in DS problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2011, 06:05
Quadratic equations can have two positive solutions. In DS questions, this fact can present an obstacle since in order to decide whether the statement is sufficient we need to know whether the quadratic equation yields one or two positive solutions. Now, to get to a quadratic equation you often have to manipulate/simplify algebraic expressions. This alone can be time consuming. To solve a quadratic equation can take you additional time, especially if the equation doesn't have pretty numbers.

I've got several questions:

1) Is there a quick way to know whether a quadratic equation has one or two positive solutions without the need to solve it?

The only thing that comes to mind is to calculate (or rather to approximate) a discriminant and to compare it with b as in: ax^2 + bx + c = 0

2) Is there a quick way to know whether a quadratic equation has whole solutions?

Here we would have to calculate a discriminant, then to compare it with b (EVEN, ODD).

3) Is there a quick way to know whether the following equation has one positive whole solution:

\(\frac{60}{n}=\frac{60}{n-5}-2\)

I've asked a similar question in this thread:

help-me-on-some-problems-on-og11-ds-99800.html#p1003352

Thanks.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: Quadratic equations in DS problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2011, 20:54
nonameee wrote:
I've got several questions:

1) Is there a quick way to know whether a quadratic equation has one or two positive solutions without the need to solve it?

Sure. The equation is: \(ax^2 + bx + c = 0\)
We know that sum of the roots = -b/a
Product of the roots = c/a

Provided both the roots are real:
If product of the roots is +ve, either both roots are positive (sum of the roots is positive too) or both roots are negative (sum of the roots is negative)
If product of the roots is -ve, one root is positive and one is negative.

e.g. x^2 + 5x + 4 = 0
Product of roots = 4
Sum of the roots = -5
Both roots negative.

2x^2 - 8x + 1 = 0
Product of roots = 1/2
Sum of roots = 8/2 = 4
Both roots positive.

3x^2 -6x -2 = 0
Product of roots = -2/3
One root negative, one positive

nonameee wrote:
2) Is there a quick way to know whether a quadratic equation has whole solutions?

Here we would have to calculate a discriminant, then to compare it with b (EVEN, ODD).

Yes, you would have to find the roots or use the formula (as you mentioned, find discriminant - it should be a perfect square - sum of its root and b should be even and then divisible by a if a is not 1. Same for the difference.)
nonameee wrote:
3) Is there a quick way to know whether the following equation has one positive whole solution:

If a whole number solution exists, you can quickly find it by plugging in some clever values. Most of the times (or let's say, almost always), \(\frac{60}{n}\) and \(\frac{60}{n-5}\) will be whole numbers. So I will try n = 6, n = 10, n = 15 etc and get \(\frac{60}{n}\) and \(\frac{60}{n-5}\) as close as possible since their difference must be 2. Most of the times, if a positive whole number solution is there, you will get it this way especially, if it a GMAT-type question. Though, this is more useful in PS questions.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2011, 15:52
nonameee wrote:
The only thing that comes to mind is to calculate (or rather to approximate) a discriminant and to compare it with b as in: ax^2 + bx + c = 0

Unless the equation can be solved quickly by inspection, I think that is the only way to know if a quadratic equation has two positive solutions.
For example, it is pretty easy to solve the equation x^2 + 4x - 5 by inspection: (x - 1)(x + 5)
Therefore, the solutions are 1 and -5.

However, if the solution cannot be found quickly by inspection, then you have to calculate the discriminant, D: D = b^2 - 4ac
If D = 0, the equation has two real, equal roots. But you don't know if they are positive without also considering the signs of a and b.

If D <> 0, you have no choice but to compute √D and compare it to b and again taking into consideration the signs of numerator and denominator.

nonameee wrote:

See my response for #1 above. As far as I know, unless a quick solution can be determined by inspection, you'd have to go through the quadratic formula. (Or draw a quick graph. Or differentiate the equation and see where a maximum occurs and perhaps noting that both zeros are on one side of the y-axis. But I think either of these approaches would be more hassle.)

nonameee wrote:

Again, there is no quick way to determine this.

You'd have to give all terms in this equation a common denominator and then gather like terms. You'll end up with a quadratic equation:

n^2 - 5n - 150 (assuming I have done it correctly)

Fortunately, this equation can be solved quickly by inspection: (n + 10)(n - 15)

So, yes, this equation has one positive root: 15
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2011, 05:10
Karishma, thanks a lot for your valuable input. Really helpful.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2011, 14:30
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Sure. The equation is: \(ax^2 + bx + c = 0\)
We know that sum of the roots = -b/a
Product of the roots = c/a

Provided both the roots are real:
If product of the roots is +ve, either both roots are positive (sum of the roots is positive too) or both roots are negative (sum of the roots is negative)
If product of the roots is -ve, one root is positive and one is negative.

This is way helpful. Great information and really useful. For DS to know whether the solutions are positive or negative! And for PS because you can very fast cross out few answer choices with just a calculation. (c/a)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Quadratic equations in DS problems   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2011, 14:30

Quadratic equations in DS problems

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics